Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2018, 07:02 PM   #21
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Hey! That's my line!
Yes!!!! It is yours and excellent!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:39 AM   #22
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by drairstream View Post
My garmin took us there going to Georgia mountain fairgrounds in my F150 super crew with our 28 footer in tow. Felt bad I was in the way but made it through. Needless to say we used a map and local knowledge on the northbound trip!
Glad you made it! That's some pretty good maneuvering just to get through it. I believe Mr Garmin has taken a lot of surprised RVrs and truckers on it. They've got a lot of signs warning everyone about the sharp curves etc..
Unfortunately a biker or two gets killed on it every year. I thought I was moving along pretty well and was passed on the right by a guy on a crotch rocket. They run it back and forth all day and time themselves. I guess it's a racetrack to them.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:22 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
The Dragon and the fun it COULD provide is pretty lame most days due to all traffic.

Now Dale Walksler's "Wheel Through Time" Museum in Maggie Valley NC is definitely worth the drive!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:29 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2022 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Villa Park , Alabama
I fell victim to the same issue of my GPS taking me through the dragon while driving my Nissan Morano. The road is not for the faint of heart, but traffic does keep things moving along at a snail's pace. When caught behind a real slow poke, they eventually pull over to let the line of cars and bikes pass. But then you wind up shamed into driving faster than you would like for fear of becoming "that guy".
I found by using my GPS screen zoomed all the way in, it can give you a map of the upcoming curves, almost like a video game.
drmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:21 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Surfside Beach , Arkansas
I have driven the dragon many times in my Miata. It’s better to drive it in the wintertime when there is no snow or ice and no police. You don’t want to be there on the last weekend of July, because almost every Miata around shows up for a get together. It’s not a planned rally, but everyone knows we will be there, including the state police from NC & TN. Photographers are out on all the straight a ways. Which there aren’t many. Got my picture taken many times by both picture takers and cops.
old 10s bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:48 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
I thought I was moving along pretty well and was passed on the right by a guy on a crotch rocket. They run it back and forth all day and time themselves. I guess it's a racetrack to them.
I know the feeling. A Ricky Racer passed me going so fast I never saw him approach. But I was throwing my bike into turns and dragging the floor boards.
I passed a speed limit sign showing 40. I looked down and I was doing 28! I just started laughing. As I arrived at the other end, my friend was just coming back to look for me on his Ducati.
A co-worker bought a piece of property right on the state line of TN 129. He cleared a spot and put his Airstream there for a few years until they built a home. I think he retired there. I can't imagine driving that road to go to the grocery.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote