Old 04-17-2005, 11:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Unsettling deer encounter

On the way to town today, I spotted an immaculate Argosy trailer approaching. Looked like about 6 meters and so clean that it could have been right off the line.

Just as the Argosy passed, a doe came out from behind it at full speed and ran right into the side of my car. I just saw the dark shadow for an instant and there was a terrific bang. In the mirror, I could see the doe on her back in the road with all legs waving frantically. She got her feet under her, shook her head for a few seconds, and took off at full speed into the trees.

I was lucky! My dirty car now has a nice clean streak down the side and I have one small loose piece of trim at the rear wheelwell. The plastic attachment peg was sheared off the trim piece. A little liquid nails or silicone will fix it quite nicely.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 05:55 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
john

you got lucky it was just a glancing blow instead of a full head on collision!

this time of year here in wisconsin makes motorcycling and driving in general after dark a very risky operation, seems they like the new grass growth along side rural roads.

i swear we are the deer capitol of the usa!

word of advice to all, if a deer runs out in front of you DON'T swerve to try to avoid it! just brake as hard as possible. much better to replace your radiator and grille vs. rolling over in the ditch or having a collision with another vehicle.

we have thousands of deer car accidents a year up here, and unfortunately a few people are killed each year trying to swerve to avoid them.

john

Old 04-18-2005, 06:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
ya hey!....but what you really have to watch out for, is them nasty feral cats......
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 08:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

For those unfamiliar with their habits, be aware of the necessity to slow down NOW when you see a deer near a road, even if it is well down the road. Many times there will be only the one visible, but several more may be hiding in a ditch, in a stand of trees, or even down in the grass. One may cross, then suddenly two or three more will come from nowhere and make a dash for it as well.

Mark
Old 04-18-2005, 09:53 AM   #5
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
John Irwin.

Glad you are personally OK and intact. I am glad that you added a note about the deer being stunned, but OK, and high tailing it out of there so it wouldn't have to contact it's insurance company.

Best wishes.

Jonathan
Old 04-18-2005, 11:46 AM   #6
GreenHorn

We live in the Texas hill country and I've replaced a windshield from a deer encounter. I imagined the young buck that rolled off my hood heading to his hang out and making a little stamp on a tree already filled with little car outlines. Another one! Maybe the big bucks hang fenders in their living rooms.

Glad you are okay!

Anyone understand the instinct deer have to run INTO the carnivore (I imagine that's what they think these noisy metal things are)?

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think. ~Chinese Proverb

http://winter.home.texas.net
Prosapio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 02:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Unhappy Deer at Jackson Center

When my sister and I went to Jackson Center there was an AIRSTREAM trailer in for deer damage. The deer deflected off the hood of the car, didn't break the windshield, but flew over the top of the car and through the front vista view windows of the Airstream! It got the window protectors, the windows, two of the segments and apparently did a number on the couch inside! Luckily no one in the tow vehicle was injured, and there was almost no damage on the tow vehicle. Normally the vehicle takes the impact and gets the worst of it.

Wonder if they had venison for dinner?

eewh!

Tin Lizzie
Old 04-18-2005, 09:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I asked my brother if he had any experience with deer whistles on cars. He worked for the newspaper and said that they had many accidents with deer while delivering papers. They installed the whistles and thay year there were no accidents involvoing deer in the trucks with whistles. I don't know if they work or not but I put them on my truck. $6 bucks is better than a 200 lb buck.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 09:25 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Good advice

Mark, excellent heads-up on deer habits. These things are almost never alone whether they are in the bush or on the road side. When one makes a break for it, get ready for a couple more to follow. Almost every day I'll see deer come out of the bush and down to the riverbank across from my house and there is seldom only one. When they get spooked, they all run the same way, after the first one that bolted. Even worse this time of year as they are in even bigger groups having been "yarded up" for the winter. Regardless, I'd still rather take a 200 pound buck in the grill than a 1200 lb moose ! P.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:47 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Yikes! Was it on CR1826?

On the way to town today, I spotted an immaculate Argosy trailer approaching. Looked like about 6 meters and so clean that it could have been right off the line.
I have installed what I call "deer whistles" on my vehicle and have managed to avoid "being hit" by deer since...
There sure are alot of road hazards on our way into town from out there!
Glad you are okay.....
Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 09:53 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter&Denise
I'd still rather take a 200 pound buck in the grill than a 1200 lb moose ! P.
i would rather have a 200# buck "on the grill".......
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 10:05 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Grilled Deer

We hit a buck late one night. The choice was an oncoming car on one side, a

tree on the other or Bambi. Our three kids are worth more than the $3,000

total cost of grilled Bambi. Besides he was young and tasty.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:42 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Cool Expensive venison

I wonder which is cheaper, a week or two at the huntcamp, or the bodyshop bill after you hit a deer. Either way I'd bet that Alaskan king crab is cheaper by the pound. Maybe I should just put a plow on the truck..........