Old 07-08-2011, 07:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by withidl View Post
Additionally, whenever a semi passes me, day or night, I will flash my high beams at them when their trailer has cleared the front of my tow vehicle to let them know that it is OK to pull in front of me. This is especially courteous when there is a line of cars behind the semi and the driver wants to pull in front of me ASAP to allow the cars to pass. Most truckers appreciate this and will flash their running lights after they pull in front me to signal “thank you”.
I used to do this. I know how to watch so that I can signal the driver when he's checking his mirror. I can even do it with a hand-wave instead of using the lights. But then I realized that many truckers will pull in front of you when they please, whether it's safe or not. Since I can't stop the ones that are going to pull in too soon, I decided to stop signaling (actually I still do it in very limited circumstances, but not like I used to).

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
A quick flash of the lights from oncoming traffic is a universal and friendly message telling you there is something going on that you might want to pay attention to: could mean you've got your high beams on, could be an accident up ahead, or maybe a radar trap is set-up ahead.

Same flash from trailing traffic also tells the passing trucker its safe to pull in. Another friendly message.

Turning on blinding lights, and leaving them on, in the fashion described here is a heck of a different story - that guy was having a temper tantrum - sending a vindictive message that endangered the lives of others - unfortunately he is one trucker not up to the professional driving standards possessed by most of the industry.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:33 AM   #17
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
A quick flash of the lights from oncoming traffic is a universal and friendly message telling you there is something going on that you might want to pay attention to: could mean you've got your high beams on, could be an accident up ahead, or maybe a radar trap is set-up ahead.

Same flash from trailing traffic also tells the passing trucker its safe to pull in. Another friendly message.

Turning on blinding lights, and leaving them on, in the fashion described here is a heck of a different story - that guy was having a temper tantrum - sending a vindictive message that endangered the lives of others - unfortunately he is one trucker not up to the professional driving standards possessed by most of the industry.

Jay
well said.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
One cool feature of the Tundra (ours is a 2010 Crew Cab) with the tow package is a little dial that allows you to adjust headlights up or down from the cab. Thus when the rear end settles a bit, I can spin that dial and point the headlamps back down to a safe zone. Funny thing is I had no idea the truck had that feature when I bought it. Thought at first it was the interior dash dim feature, but noticed I already had one of those...
There isn't a car or truck made that doesn't have provisions to adjust the headlight beams. Nice that you can do it from the cab, I use a phillips head screwdriver. Too bad other TV owners aren't aware that it only takes a minute to adjust the beams when towing and return them to the stock settings when driving solo.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:29 AM   #19
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
You shouldn't have to do anything with the headlamps if the WD is adjusted properly.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:39 AM   #20
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
You shouldn't have to do anything with the headlamps if the WD is adjusted properly.

I was thinking the same thing. The tow vehicle should end up basically level, same as when it's unhitched, correct?
Old 07-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
First problem: driving at night; and far too late (11 pm). Second, running the speed limit (65). Both are to be avoided. Low beams are overdriven at 35-mph, high beams at 55 mph.

When one has a choice, make it. The elbow room of our economy, personal and national, is gone. Don't expect the stability of decades past, be it weather, road condition, or from other drivers.

My experience with late-night commercial driving is that this "situation" is neither common nor uncommon. But it sure isn't surprising. There is far worse out on the roads.

Be more prudent as to travel henceforth.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:36 AM   #22
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
I was thinking the same thing. The tow vehicle should end up basically level, same as when it's unhitched, correct?
The usual goal of WD is to restore the original weight to the front axle. In most cases it isn't feasible nor necessary to move enough weight to the front axle to level the tow vehicle.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #23
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Level

Quote:

Yep....we be 1/2" high, bout the same as loaded Burb w/o the AS.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Definitely agree. TV will end up basically level. But so far I have been unable to make it exactly the same. And even a slight change of weight that points headlights up a "smidgen", will cause "quite a difference" in the distance. (that is as good as my math will get) So the little "tickler" Toyota added to allow for headlight adjustments in the cab is pretty nice.

But this should not detract from the original post. If truckers are purposely blinding drivers then that is a serious problem. I am sure we have all had them cut in too close for comfort, but deliberate attempts to cause drivers to wreck is a whole 'nother level!!

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote