Old 10-05-2015, 08:26 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
During which, Joe, you presumably had continuous shore power and a functioning furnace for the one night. Not to be argumentative, but your view seems to contain a number of assumptions which may not apply to greenhorns making their first trip north into possible winter weather at an elevation of 2134' .

Also it seems that you were probably an experienced Class A RVer at the time. [Venice FL to St. Louis MO] Big difference . . .

Over and out, but I hope that Laura and Tom go north with eyes wide open!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:17 AM   #16
1974 31' Sovereign
Marengo , Iowa
Originally Posted by Treker2015 View Post
Heat tape is used to keep your water lines from freezing below 32F. Cold weather creates all sorts of challenges when camping in an RV. We are new to our Airstream, but have had lots of experience camping in cold weather.

A bigger concern to me, driving your tow vehicle and trailer in potential snow or ice conditions. Particularly without the past experience. We've camped in the Ashville NC area and you can get some nasty weather.

Maybe not a great time of year to take your AS there.

Hi, I live in Iowa; new to this forum and am rehabing my '74- 31 foot Airstream to hit the road full time in about 2 years. I have to agree that driving in the snow would/could be a major learning curve for you(anyone) if you've never done it before and you may want to reconsider to a warmer time of year as would I.

Rvanhoe723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
I sure appreciate all of your comments and helpful information. We are staying at French Broad Campground in Asheville and have full hook ups. I do feel confident that my husband can make the drive or we would not risk it. He has been in agricultural his whole life and driving in sugar sand since he was 6 - I do understand it's not like black ice or snow, but he is very cautious. If he feels it's not right, we will go no further. Thank you all so much for your care and concern. Sure makes me feel good!

Laura & Tom
Let the good times roll!! Laura
Remax gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:05 AM   #18
2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Plan your travel for well after sunup, so roads will be less likely slippery. Heat tape, and a heated hose, if you want the CG water, are both needed. The hose is heated when plugged in, but the pipe from the CG is not, unless it is wrapped with heat tape. "Frost free" faucets are not frost free when connected to your water supply and left on. They are designed to drain the standing water out of the pipe when turned off, so you can come back later and still use it. The draining cannot happen when on and pressurizing your hose. As others suggest, fill the fresh tank, and use your pump. You may want to have RV antifreeze on hand, as most shower drain traps are outside of the heated underbelly area. Other drains are in the heated cabin.

Sugar sand experience will help with getting going in snow, but stopping and corners are whole different animals, because of sliding. Get familiar with the brake controller, and use it manually if on slippery pavement, even if the tow vehicle has antilock brakes. Bring a bucket of sand with you, just in case you meet a slippery slope you need to go up.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
AIR 71620
WBCCI 5809 Reg 5 Unit 041
2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:22 AM   #19
Rivet Master
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Thanks Tom! I appreciate all of that information. We did hear something about antifreeze and wondered about that. Thanks!

Laura & Tom
Old 10-09-2015, 09:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
A bag of "kitty litter" or cheaper "oil absorbent" transports fairly easy. Good for "traction" wherever needed.

Some "rubbing alcohol"'mixed in cool water makes a good de-icer for those iced windshield. Do not use warm water.. That may crack the glass.
Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:38 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member
2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
I'm sure you have a tour of the Biltmore House on your to see list. Also do not miss the Grove Park Inn. They decorate all the common areas for Christmas, sing carols, Santa visits and they have a church service on Christmas mornings. It may be too late to get a reservation, but their Christmas Day buffet in the Blue Ridge Dining Room is outstanding. They do serve the buffet in one of the conference rooms, but the view from the main dining room is awesome. The Grove Park also host one of the largest Ginger Bread House contest in the country. And somtimes they even have snow which just adds to the charm (as long as you do not have to drive/tow.)

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:41 AM   #22
Rivet Master
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Thanks BK! Yes, we definitely plan to go to the Grove Park Inn and the Biltmore! Both are such beautiful places! Thanks!

Laura & Tom