Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2015, 01:59 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
Two night shake down before leaving for an extended trip

only 1 hour from the front door and a great place to do a shakedown. list of stuff we forgot so worth the drive. pair of bald eagles nesting right above the lower campground added quite a bit to our brief visit. i guess the port strike is over as the ship traffic on JDF was seeming nonstop. unfortunately we left before the USS Ranger was headed out on its way to the scrap yard. thats Mt. Baker in the bed of the truck

guess the jpeg i attached didn't come thru. any advice??
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Try again.

Tap the paper clip thing at the top of the new post, it will take you to a page to choose and upload a photo.

Maggie
Old 03-05-2015, 02:59 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
ok, second try on jpeg. thanks Lilly&me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fort flagler.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	233666  
Old 03-05-2015, 03:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Was on Ranger for two combat cruises. Visited agIn many years later in San Diego. Ship was so worn out then it was scary. We will all remember her when she was in better shape.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:40 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Was on Ranger for two combat cruises. Visited agIn many years later in San Diego. Ship was so worn out then it was scary. We will all remember her when she was in better shape.

good friend Admiral Steve Heilman i am sure is shedding big tears over this as well as the Ranger was his last assignment. group down in Portland, OR was trying to raise $$$ to set this up as a tourist vessel, guess it didn't work out.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yeah, was part of that group. Not possible to raise the millions needed to preserve such a big ship. A lot of parts, including anchors rudders, and propellers went to other new carriers already.

I have lots of scary stories and a few pictures.

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:29 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Airstream - Other
Port Orchard , Washington
Which park were you at? From your discription and picture it looks like Fort Flagler. We do shakedowns there as well.
inthralled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
That looks like a beautiful spot!
Please share your "shakedown" experience when you can...
I have mine planned 3 weeks from now.
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
My wife is the "organizer" of the family. She started an Airstream camping check list several years ago and we never leave for an extended stay without printing it off and going down the list. We will highlite the items as we go. She has her items and I have mine. Sure, a lot on the list is stuff that you won't forget, but I used to be a pilot and I learned that checklists tend to be good things as it is amazing what you can forget to do when in a hurry. We have added to the list over time but havine it has saved a lot of inconvience. Honey, "you forgot the wine!!", never happens now.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:16 PM   #10

1990 29' Excella
Miami , Florida
68 - would love it if you shared your wife's camping list. I'm a Newbie, and don't want to forget anything!
Sarah S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:37 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthralled View Post
Which park were you at? From your discription and picture it looks like Fort Flagler. We do shakedowns there as well.

yes, Fort Flagler, lower loop. there were 5 other rigs all told. we walked the bluff trail back to the headquarters building and went inside for a chat. turns out that all spots are already reserved, June, July, August and the beginning of September for as long as you can reserve. very popular spot, a beautiful location. the nesting eagles really made it that much more special.

during the winter months we took a bunch of stuff out of the trailer so trying to recall everything that needed to go back took some effort, hence the shakedown. my now deceased FIL called this sort of thing a 'Hudson's Bay Start' small distance just in case you had to reverse course. we generated a new list of things forgotten one way or the other so shopped yesterday and today to acquire or replace items. we are good to go on the next 1.5 week trip S as far as Yosemite and Pinnacles with various stops in between.

the lists we have printed off are set up and take down, both interior and exterior. we go through them together to make sure we don't miss anything like cabinet doors that are not latched. these lists help a bunch.