Old 11-25-2019, 03:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2008 19' Safari SE
Hocking Hills , Ohio
Two AS in the barn, are we crazy?

We have had our 19’ Bambi SE for over ten years now, and love it for trips up to two weeks. We are retiring next year and are looking forward to spending more time on the road exploring the U.S. and Canada. To that end, we have been downsizing the last couple of years and like our simpler lifestyle now. We both agree that more time on the road, with some trips up to weeks or months long, would be much more enjoyable in a 25’-27’ AS. We almost picked up a slightly used 25’ FC recently but the deal fell through, and we are back on the hunt.

Our original plan was to sell the 19’ to free up space and funds, but we have been thinking hard about our usage of the trailers. The Bambi has been perfect for those singles trips when I go fishing or on a photography mission, and for her to visit family or attend Star Parties with her astronomy friends. As a couple, we also still like to boondock in the Hiawatha NF in Michigan’s UP or up around the Arrowhead region of MN. Most of our favorite places there would not accommodate the larger AS. On the other hand, we have reached a point where we would like to stretch out and relax in a larger unit on winter trips to Texas and AZ, serious road trips through the Canadian maritimes and ultimately to Alaska.

So the crazy thought that surfaced the other day is to maybe keep the Bambi to enjoy as we have been, and possibly add the larger unit for our longer road trips and winter camps. The thought of having two Airstreams seems to fly in the face of our downsizing mission, but it is an intriguing thought to us. We have the space, and could do it if we buy used. We are in no rush to come to a decision. Winter is upon us and the Bambi is winterized and tucked away until March.

I’m curious if any of you have more than one of these aluminum cans? I see many of you have more than one listed on your profiles, but don’t know if that means currently or the progression of ownership. If you are a multiple owner, how do you use your AS and what drew you to have what you have? I read an article in a magazine the other day about a Hollywood guy who collects Airstreams and has seven. We are not looking to collect them, just have the best options for our outdoor lifestyle.

Happy Thanksgiving! T&D

Old 11-25-2019, 03:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Nothing wrong with owning more than one Airstream. If you can cover the economics you can sell your little one, if you want to, after you have had both for a few years. We have 2 now. One stays on a lot in Florida. Otherwise I would just have one.

Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
My friends once observed, "We thought it was bad to have two boats, until we had two airplanes, that was bad!"
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Yep, we have two. Had three but got rid of one.

Small, 19 ft single axle for easy off road camping access and small spots.

Medium size, 28 ft double axel for longer road trips and more space.

You'll know when your not using one enough and wish to get rid of the extra one.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:18 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
1977 Argosy 28
Frankfort , Ohio
Two is definitely not crazy, lots of people seem to have two :-)
StephSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:21 PM   #6
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
Wow, timely question for us. We have a 1999 30' Classic that we've owned since 2005. We travel around TX on weekends in the fall, winter and spring and have an annual summer trip to northern CO, where we boondock on 5 acres we own near Steamboat Lake.

In our case, we have always planned that when I retire (in 5 years or so) we would sell our Texas home, build a small place in CO and buy a small southern retreat. But construction costs in Colorado are astronomical ($375-400/sq.ft) and I don't trust the stability of that Real Estate market. We don't have the wealth to take that kind of risk. So, we've wondered what to do.

At the same time, we've been looking at the new 33RB twins, and really appreciate some of the amenities - including the dual A/C, because our current 30' with a single central A/C doesn't work well in TX in the summer (even tho' we upgraded to 15k)! We've thought that to do the kind of upgrades we want to the 30', we might be better off applying that to a new A/S. Plus, we both have the aluminitus bug.

It also occurs to us that if we pour all of our money into an expensive fixed-location cabin, we won't have the time, money or inclination to do all of the trips we have talked about - Alaska, grand-circle of the U.S, Europe, etc. By inclination we mean "we paid all this money for this house, we HAVE to stay here - and work and work and work on it!

We've always joked about putting a "tiny home" in CO as an alternative to building. But then we thought, hey, we already have one, all 240 sq. feet!. We could build a pole barn in Colorado, pull in electricity and put a pump down the existing well. Then we can 'full-time' for weeks at a time instead of boondock (which we are finding to be a bit more tiring as we get older). We might even figure out some sort of inexpensive septic system, but if not, the state park is only 5 miles away. We wouldn't leave her there through the winter, but could come and go during the good weather without the onerous decamping and storage hurdles we currently face.

Then we would get a new A/S for southern travels, particularly during the summer. And more importantly, only have one small (southern) home that we would consolidate into that would serve us well into old age.

We haven't figured out the logistics associated with just having one truck (F250 diesel), and I'm not thrilled with the thought of buying a second.

We even have names decided on for the two A/S:
1) for the current one "The Old Girl"
2) for the new dual A/C, fancy shmancy 33, "The Southern Belle"

Just daydreamin' for now!
Old 11-25-2019, 04:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
We started with a 13 foot Scamp. Enjoyed the heck out of it for a dozen years, for weekend and week-long trips, though two weeks at a time was pushing it. At retirement we got our 25FB Flying Cloud for longer trips and season-long volunteer jobs. We kept the Scamp for nearby mountain getaways.

With our Airstream travel and some family situations, we didn't have much time for the Scamp. We only got out in it once a year. It also had aged to the point of needing maintenance (re-sealing screws in the case of a Scamp, instead of rivets). So as much as we loved it, we sold it this year. Should have sold it a couple years earlier.

It really depends on how you want to spend your travel time. If you're truly going to continue to do short trips, having two can be a good answer. But it will mean double maintenance.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:27 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
2019 27' International
Cheyenne , Wyoming
It is ultimately up to you. And you can always sell it later if you want.

We were going to sell the 16' when we got the 27', but decided to wait.

We like the 16' Bambi for 1-2 nights on short trips usually within a few hours of home.

Longer distance and more time we take the 27'.

As long as we are using both, we will keep both.
Wyo Silver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Very similar story here; we have a 2007 19' Bambi that took us to Yellowstone several times, Glacier NP, Bryce, North Rim, Glen Canyon, Aspen, Durango etc.

Then we came across a very attractive deal on a new 2015 23FB. Simple logic says that we would sell the Bambi in the spring of 2015.

However, when we took the Bambi out of storage and parked it on the patio where it stays all summer, we were in no hurry to sell it. We use it in the summer for short trips and take turns sleeping in it at home for backyard camping.

We use the 23FB for extended trips. So here we are, 2020, and still have both trailers. Too many great memories in the Bambi to sell it right now.

We rationalize it that the Bambi is our CAMPING trailer, and the 23FB is our TRAVEL trailer. Please don't press me what the difference is, but it works for us.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
All great ideas. We plan on keeping both our trailers. The 66 is great in the Texas summer heat and the 55 is great for winter camping. We have both under cover with shore power hooked up continuously. We dehumidify regularly. I don’t expect the values to ever go down as long as we keep them maintained and there’s not much to maintaining.
As far as what Tin Diesel was saying, there a lot of streamers who own property and a covered place for the AS with full hookups in a different state. To each their own. Everyone has different aspects, so whatever works for you. Good luck
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:35 PM   #11

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Two AS in the barn, are we crazy?

We have a pair of early ‘60’s 26’ Overlanders and a ‘91 34’. The 34 is great with large tanks and plenty of room. The Overlanders fit nicely for weekends and solo travels. Currently one of the Overlanders is at my elderly parents for our frequent trips over there.
We built a 34 x 24 shed that will fit 2 of them
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly77 View Post
We have had our 19’ Bambi SE for over ten years now, and love it for trips up to two weeks. We are retiring next year and are looking forward to spending more time on the road exploring the U.S. and Canada. To that end, we have been downsizing the last couple of years and like our simpler lifestyle now. We both agree that more time on the road, with some trips up to weeks or months long, would be much more enjoyable in a 25’-27’ AS. We almost picked up a slightly used 25’ FC recently but the deal fell through, and we are back on the hunt.

Our original plan was to sell the 19’ to free up space and funds, but we have been thinking hard about our usage of the trailers. The Bambi has been perfect for those singles trips when I go fishing or on a photography mission, and for her to visit family or attend Star Parties with her astronomy friends. As a couple, we also still like to boondock in the Hiawatha NF in Michigan’s UP or up around the Arrowhead region of MN. Most of our favorite places there would not accommodate the larger AS. On the other hand, we have reached a point where we would like to stretch out and relax in a larger unit on winter trips to Texas and AZ, serious road trips through the Canadian maritimes and ultimately to Alaska.

So the crazy thought that surfaced the other day is to maybe keep the Bambi to enjoy as we have been, and possibly add the larger unit for our longer road trips and winter camps. The thought of having two Airstreams seems to fly in the face of our downsizing mission, but it is an intriguing thought to us. We have the space, and could do it if we buy used. We are in no rush to come to a decision. Winter is upon us and the Bambi is winterized and tucked away until March.

I’m curious if any of you have more than one of these aluminum cans? I see many of you have more than one listed on your profiles, but don’t know if that means currently or the progression of ownership. If you are a multiple owner, how do you use your AS and what drew you to have what you have? I read an article in a magazine the other day about a Hollywood guy who collects Airstreams and has seven. We are not looking to collect them, just have the best options for our outdoor lifestyle.

Happy Thanksgiving! T&D
I've been crazy for a few years now (own two Airstreams :-) We had similar thoughts.

Early in retirement we spent 3 to 4 winter months in the southern US, mostly Florida, in our 25'. When it rained, the trailer seems to shrink after a few days. When we started staying in FL 5 months we decided to get a 34'.

For us, more storage, the queen bed, a larger kitchen/dining area, and comfortable seating were the deciding factors in choosing the larger trailer.

We still like the smaller 25' for summer traveling, where we move frequently.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Not crazy, smart!! Then you can have twice as much fun when you retire. We are jealous!!
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1976 31' Gone but fondly remembered
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:13 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2008 19' Safari SE
Hocking Hills , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
Very similar story here; we have a 2007 19' Bambi that took us to Yellowstone several times, Glacier NP, Bryce, North Rim, Glen Canyon, Aspen, Durango etc.

Then we came across a very attractive deal on a new 2015 23FB. Simple logic says that we would sell the Bambi in the spring of 2015.

However, when we took the Bambi out of storage and parked it on the patio where it stays all summer, we were in no hurry to sell it. We use it in the summer for short trips and take turns sleeping in it at home for backyard camping.

We use the 23FB for extended trips. So here we are, 2020, and still have both trailers. Too many great memories in the Bambi to sell it right now.
When we downsized, we moved into a small log cabin in the woods that was our getaway cabin for years. I put a gravel pad near the cabin for the Bambi and we have used it as a guest room when we are not on the road. For this alone we can make the argument to keep the little silver guy. We had the same sentiments as you after cleaning it up and getting it ready to post for sale. We cracked open a beverage, sat back and reminisced a while, and decided we just weren't ready to let go.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:45 AM   #15

Currently Looking...
brookings , South Dakota
25 ft fb 2014

Firefly77
I have a 25 ft 2014 flying cloud front bedroom for sale. Black leather , white counter tops, bike rack, new endurance tires.
Send a message on this site if you want more details. $39,000.00.
NKN
012947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:56 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
We still work full-time, but live only 3 miles from our office in our 31' Classic. It rarely moves. We travel several times a year in our AS Interstate so that we can move quickly and get into smaller places.

Perfect situation for us.
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:14 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Napa , California
Keeping the old and adding one for a different type of trip sounds smart to me!

We have our Airstream for long road trips. When we do that, we want to drive up and plug in, have water and sewer and not have to fiddle with anything. Age has taken a toll on both of us and it really suits us well at this point in our lives.

But, when we want boondock we borrow our old hybrid. That trailer is smaller and less comfortable, but fine if you are driving to the ends of the earth to camp...really camp. It beats hauling out a tent and a sleeping bag or beating up the Airstream by driving down 3 miles of dirt road!
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #18

1973 31' Sovereign
1975 21' Globetrotter
1964 22' Safari
Boise , Idaho
This is a easy decision; a couple of cliches come to mind:

a) a pair and a spare
b) once you have eight you are considered a collector
using these measurements you are well within normal limits
Marcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:23 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
At one point I had 4. Now I only have one. But looking. ?
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:43 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
I only have one AS. But I have 62 tires that need tire maintenance. I have many batteries that sometimes need charging. Every year at tag renewal the registration cost is impressive. Just remember that if you have much it takes much to keep it maintained and legal.

At our Airstream club Sweet Heart rally last year the most popular answer to "What would you like to change in your AS" was the bed. They all wanted a north-south bed. One where you could get out on either side without climbing over some one.

Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote