Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Twin vs Double? What's your preference?

I'm just wondering...what seems to be the rationale between choosing twin versus double? Simply sleeping arrangements? Is there more storage or something with the twin? Which do you have and what do you like/dislike about it?

Follow our blog! https://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Mercer Island , Washington
I have a mid coach twin. I'm a big guy (6'3") and while in a tiny bed on the road, I prefer to have a twin of my own vs. sharing a double with my wife. At home, we have a king bed to share, so it's not a problem
dcheshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
lubbock , Texas
Currently have a double in the '82 Excella ... have ordered a '13 Int'l Sig with queen ... twins seem to discourage cuddly happenings ...
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Actually in some plans there's LESS storage with twin vs. double, especially in the older trailers. For example, the double plan for a '75 Argosy 24 has the streetside area across from the gaucho that folds down to the "double" filled with cabinetry except for where the window is, where there's a nice countertop that would be useful for various things. There's still some storage under the gaucho. In our Twin we have 3 bins under each bed.

However, neither of us is a dainty little thing, and not wanting a giant 5er that could accomodate a king-sized bed in like we have at home, the twin plan works well for us for sleeping.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
We had the mid coach twin beds in our 1974 Ambassador when we bought it. maccamper is 6'2" and the twin bed was short for him. What works for us is for maccamper to sleep in the front gaucho which gives him more room. I sleep in the twin since I'm 5' 1/2" and fit quite nicely in a twin.

What about the other twin? Well, since it's just the two of us and we didn't need two twin beds, we took out the second twin bed and put in a counter with an additional sink and lots of storage underneath. We use cushions on the twin bed to turn it into a sofa during the day so we have a second living area.

We make up our beds each night but we don't mind -- we just call it preparing the cabin for the evening as in an airplane and enjoy the extra living space during the day -- and the extra storage and food prep space.

We plan on keeping our "Emma Airstream" for the "duration" so we weren't concerned about resale value after taking out the second twin -- and we still manage to snuggle. (Whoops! TMI !)

Nancy Mac
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
What he said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheshire View Post
I have a mid coach twin. I'm a big guy (6'3") and while in a tiny bed on the road, I prefer to have a twin of my own vs. sharing a double with my wife. At home, we have a king bed to share, so it's not a problem
We have the same situation. My husbands a tall, big guy. I'm not petite either. The king works at home. A double or short queen means no one sleeps well--especially if one of the cats decides to join us.

I think a double or queen probably has more storage, but there's a lot to be said for a good nights sleep.

Sue
Disneysue925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
My wife and I prefer the ability to be able to snuggle together just like we would be able to do in our home! Also, with a rear bedroom and a center mounted bed, you have a lot of versatile storage space underneath. Our first trailer was a 1984 Alumalite and had a center mounted double bed in the rear. This is my preferred floor plan.

Steve
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
For a better working atmosphere, in this one we have twin beds. Three bins underneath with slide out trays. And above each side are four upper storage areas. We left the foam mattresses in place but use large feather beds on top of them. (foam drives me crazy) Feather pillows to boot. So the twin beds on either side allow for lots of foot room to change and such. The plastic hinges on the other hand are starting to break at their fold, and I have the source to replace them later...meanwhile Gorilla tape holds whats left in place.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
We have had both twins and a walk-around queen (have now) and much prefer the queen arrangement.

We found the twin beds more difficult to deal with when making them up, like the idea of one bed as we have at home, and like the ease of access to the big storage space underneath.

i don't believe we would care for the queen bed so much if it were not a walk around floor plan though.

Just what suits us - obviously there are pros & cons!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
We have mid-twins due to the year and model. They work great as the queen beds that we have seen, there would be more space with the single twin beds.
Would we change to a queen/king? maybe if we were to go full time for a year or two. But once you've invested upgraded and have the Airstream paid for, the justification to invest, regardless of new or used, there has to be some long term return.
Very happy with it as we have owned it 19 years and replaced the mattresses to high style memory foam which to me, really makes the difference.

We spent over 65 nights in it last year, so it all about what works for you.
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #11
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
30 footer late models only

we have had only 30 foot trailers; 85 twin; 95 "queen"; and 2000 twin. In the classic series, the twins have an outside storage locker under each bed. the queen model does not. both models have a rear storage locker; the queen locker is larger-almost too deep-ya gotta climb over front stuff to get to back stuff. Late model queens had a roll out drawer in it; this would preclude the use of a bike rack. The "queen" (in quotes because it is not really queen sized) is not any better for tall folks than the twins. The queen had three inside storage lockers; one under each side and one at the foot. the foot locker was too wide and the drawer unwieldly; plus it was not very deep. The two side lockers opened into a 6-8inch wide aisle that was difficult to see into (bed covers interfered) and awkward to use. the whole mattress of the queen lifted with gas shocks that were woefully under rated so that all of the under bed storage was accessible. Lifting the mattress was one option we never used-it was just too awkward. the queen unit storage just was not as usable as the twin. The twin units have inside storage under each bed as well; the 85 had multiple drawers, the 00 has one larger opening with two of the famous plastic bins. The twin hanging wardrobe closets are much easier to use than the queen angled jobs; the 00 on the road side has enough room at the foot of the bed to rig up a "foot mattress" for very tall people. the 85 did not have this feature as the bath was on the curb side and wardrobes took up the space on the road side. I suppose size 14 or larger feet may not clear under the hanging wardrobe-but that would just mean a minor carpenter's job to shorten the hanging wardrobe to accomodate really big feet.
the twin units have a large enough aisle between the beds to be very easy to maneuver in (both on the narrower 85 and the wide body 00). Now, to cuddling; use of trailer may determine your desires here. For us, the twin is MUCH better and has not ended our cuddling; but, we do not full time. I have added a 3-4 inch extra pad along the out side of the twin mattress on my side to give me a little extra roll over room. I find sleeping in the twin waay better than the queen, which also gave us claustrophobia (your head is under the end lockers and closed in on the sides by the queen angled wardrobes) the openess of the twins does not make you feel closed in. And, you get a night stand with the twins. Finally, for us, making up the bed clothes on the twins is waay easier than the "queen."
ol' Bill
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:29 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Great info...thanks for the feedback!

Follow our blog! https://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:49 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
We looked at both options but, decided on the queen and very happy we did! I like being able to walk around both sides of the bed. Easier to make the bed. Lots of storage!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:25 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Hey lonewolf1977, I have a twin unit and specifically looked for a used model of that layout. I looked at new ones for some time and although there are people who prefer the queen, I consider the advantage in storage and interior walk-thru to be better. Some say that the twin is just too small, well my actual mattress measures 34x78 but by the time it is made up and placed there is about two inches gap in length and width (that gap space) so if you think about it, that is the equivalent to a half of a king bed- more than enough space to sleep. I can walk to the roof lockers and use the bedroom as a changing room unlike the models with the large square beds. And, as others pointed out, the outside access doors are nice too that are not available on the larger bed models- you have to lift the mattress up for the storage on those. I too have storage door compartments inside. Look at a late model twin and also a queen in the 25' with a focus on bedroom storage space access and you will see what I mean.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:32 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Mercer Island , Washington
What Rod said.

I also like the extra floor space, and I'm 6'3" and fit fine in the twin. Larger units may have better access around a queen, but to me if you go to 25' or less, there are too many tradeoffs when they place the queen. Takes up all the really usable space in the room. But that's my opinion - people with queens seem to love them as well. We still snuggle when we want - we travel without the kids.
btowntincan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
We have a 22' CCD that came with a double in front. It didnt take long to remodel it and put a queen there. The trailer Im working on will have a queen as well. We need a queen with both dogs and the two of us.

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I think both layouts have benefits, but the queen is less objectionable only when it is fore and aft. The sideways queen is a pain in the tookus to make and if you're on the wrong side of the bed when nature calls, it could result in acute embarassment trying to get to the bathroom if you have to crawl OVER a partner.

On newer units the queen is sideways in everything up through the 25 footers. The 27/28's and up are fore and aft queens.

Paula
Old 02-01-2013, 05:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
There was no way my wife was going to agree to anything but a queen bed. Me either, come to think of it...

Like Paula said, in larger campers with a separate bedroom, the fore/aft (I think of it as "north/south") orientation is better than the east/west "around the world" orientation. I haven't used the smaller trailers, so I don't really know how those are, but I do know from the B190 that having to lay on the bed to make it is frustrating.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
She doesn't like sleeping alone and neither do I, so that's that. Making up sideways bed is manageable with little effort, the worst part is bumping our heads on the cabinet until used to it.

No fore-aft rear bed 25' available now, but other features plus size preference made this 25' our choice. If we had to have a fore-aft queen, it would be the 28'.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I agree on the different needs and wants for people. Shopping used, I would consider all things too. I knew about the sideways queen access but my preference was to a twin layout first, 2) non-sideways bed, 3) sideways bed. I plan to travel mostly solo so the twin is/was the best match but I also like the extra walk space. Also, there is an Overlander model that had, to me, an interesting layout- twin beds with larger rear bath. If I could make a perfect 25' twin, it would have a bit larger bathroom and the living room area would be like the 23C with the L lounge, the taller cabinet with the roll out table and the hideaway behind the couch. That would be great. I would like to see one of those Overlanders some time. I believe they were 26 or 27'. My bathroom is adequate for the business at hand but the 3' x 3' or whatever size is tight (not counting shower).
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote