Old 01-31-2013, 10:32 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Mercer Island , Washington
What Rod said.

I also like the extra floor space, and I'm 6'3" and fit fine in the twin. Larger units may have better access around a queen, but to me if you go to 25' or less, there are too many tradeoffs when they place the queen. Takes up all the really usable space in the room. But that's my opinion - people with queens seem to love them as well. We still snuggle when we want - we travel without the kids.

btowntincan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
We have a 22' CCD that came with a double in front. It didnt take long to remodel it and put a queen there. The trailer Im working on will have a queen as well. We need a queen with both dogs and the two of us.

My 57 Overlander thread ( Holly is her name)

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I think both layouts have benefits, but the queen is less objectionable only when it is fore and aft. The sideways queen is a pain in the tookus to make and if you're on the wrong side of the bed when nature calls, it could result in acute embarassment trying to get to the bathroom if you have to crawl OVER a partner.

On newer units the queen is sideways in everything up through the 25 footers. The 27/28's and up are fore and aft queens.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
There was no way my wife was going to agree to anything but a queen bed. Me either, come to think of it...

Like Paula said, in larger campers with a separate bedroom, the fore/aft (I think of it as "north/south") orientation is better than the east/west "around the world" orientation. I haven't used the smaller trailers, so I don't really know how those are, but I do know from the B190 that having to lay on the bed to make it is frustrating.
1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #19
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
She doesn't like sleeping alone and neither do I, so that's that. Making up sideways bed is manageable with little effort, the worst part is bumping our heads on the cabinet until used to it.

No fore-aft rear bed 25' available now, but other features plus size preference made this 25' our choice. If we had to have a fore-aft queen, it would be the 28'.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I agree on the different needs and wants for people. Shopping used, I would consider all things too. I knew about the sideways queen access but my preference was to a twin layout first, 2) non-sideways bed, 3) sideways bed. I plan to travel mostly solo so the twin is/was the best match but I also like the extra walk space. Also, there is an Overlander model that had, to me, an interesting layout- twin beds with larger rear bath. If I could make a perfect 25' twin, it would have a bit larger bathroom and the living room area would be like the 23C with the L lounge, the taller cabinet with the roll out table and the hideaway behind the couch. That would be great. I would like to see one of those Overlanders some time. I believe they were 26 or 27'. My bathroom is adequate for the business at hand but the 3' x 3' or whatever size is tight (not counting shower).
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Twin vs Double? What's your preference?

With the older Vintage coaches where the bedroom is more commonly found mid-coach, my preference is definitely the twin bed floorplan. The side double-bed arrangement means a convertible lounge which is difficult to configure for comfortable sleeping on a long trip (IMHO). When the twin bed arranagement is present, it is a simple process to have custom innerspring bedding made to fit the space -- I liked the custom bedding that I purchased for my home that I had the bedding duplicated for my Overlander's twins.

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #22
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Originally Posted by lonewolf1977 View Post
I'm just wondering...what seems to be the rationale between choosing twin versus double? Simply sleeping arrangements? Is there more storage or something with the twin? Which do you have and what do you like/dislike about it?
Regardless of layout there are some practical benefits to twins.

1) You may find yourself traveling with people who you're willing to share the bedroom with but don't want to share the bed with. Sibling, hunting buddy, etc.

2) You and your spouse or lover can sleep in the gaucho or dinette if you have two unrelated people traveling with you, so that they can have individual beds.

3) In all layouts the twins leave more usable standing space in the bedroom for changing clothes.

4) It is possible for people to sit on twins and converse facing each other, which doesn't work as well on a queen.

The main advantage of queen beds is that you can sleep together. It's also easier to make the bed because you can walk on 3 sides.

In late model classics the twin layouts have more externally-accessible storage, and slightly more inside storage as well.
To learn to see below the surface, you must adjust your altitude
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #23
1997 25' Safari
Fairbanks , Alaska
Send a message via MSN to AlaskaSafari
Originally Posted by lonewolf1977 View Post
I'm just wondering...what seems to be the rationale between choosing twin versus double? Simply sleeping arrangements? Is there more storage or something with the twin? Which do you have and what do you like/dislike about it?

Our 25 Safari has the rear twin beds and we absolutely love them. The ability to stand up in the bedroom and get dressed/undressed was great vs trying to do it squeezed between the wall and a queen bed. We also found the storage under the beds and the hanging wardrobes much easier to access.

The only downside we found is that our four legged child couldn't figure out where to sleep. She would run from one bed to the other across the nightstand several times a night trying to figure out where to sleep.
AlaskaSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We have twins. Our previous trailer had a gaucho/double. We've never had a full time double in a trailer. Both our Airstreams are small 22' now, 19' previously. So, with that being my point of view...

We love the twins!

1) with the gaucho, if one went in to take a nap w/o making down the gaucho, the other was out of luck
2) one of us is an early riser, the other a night owl
3) no need for either to get a knee in the gut when crawling over the other in the middle of the night
4) one of us can "take a friend" without sharing a bed
5) the dogs sleep on one bed & the cat on the fighting
6) easier to lift a twin to get to the storage than a double

We are not full-timers, if we were we may have different priorities with regards to the bed... but even with twins, if there's a will, there's a way ~

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #25
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
My wife says she can't snuggle in twins, so queen bed it is. Good for cold winter nights as well.

The twins are better for everything else.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We selected twins in an ordered new 27FB Classic for the additional hanging storage above the foot of each bed and the roof locker above the window on each side for additionl flat storage. The three outside access doors to storage under half the length of the beds and under the center bed side table are more convenient. Plus there is the inside half of the space under the twin bed for inside access.

We were underwhelmed with the across the body queen bed in the 25FB model and the hassle of both making the bed and hitting my head in the middle of the night trying to crab walk down the bed for a bathroom run without awaking my wife. It was nearly impossible to get to all the stored items under the bed from outside.
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #27
Rivet Master
1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I had 30 ft. twin bed model [1967] turned over on way to Fla. replaced with 1967 26 twin bed model total comfort, then pur. new 1976 31 ft. dbl. terrific price big mistake dbl. bed big pain inta.
As stated in other posts dbl. many inconv. Also I can not sleep w/ any one after 35 plus yrs. solo bed, only because I would go to work at 3:30am wife didn't have be at work until 8:00 am, I now have queen at home all to myself ,so I prefer twin over dbl.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member
1974 29' Ambassador
CONCORD , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to Erik Olson
Originally Posted by jump View Post
Currently have a double in the '82 Excella ... have ordered a '13 Int'l Sig with queen ... twins seem to discourage cuddly happenings ...
Last time my wife and I had cuddly happenings, we ended up with twins!

Our Ambassador (29' 1974) is mid-twin and we had to have this model to sleep my wife and our three kids. Most nights, I end up on the gaucho with some Jack Russells while the missus scores a lower bunk for herself. I find the bunks to be a bit claustrophobic, but wifey and kids don't mind.

Erik Olson
1974 Ambassador 29' Ohana
Erik Olson is offline   Reply With Quote