Old 04-27-2014, 01:19 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Atlanta , Georgia
Turn off propane while travelling?

With my previous trailer, I thought the common wisdom was to leave the propane on, or (alternatively) that it didn't matter. But according to the AS checklists I've seen recently, people turn off the propane while travelling. Is there a reason for this?

Old 04-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Do as you wish.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
With my previous trailer, I thought the common wisdom was to leave the propane on, or (alternatively) that it didn't matter. But according to the AS checklists I've seen recently, people turn off the propane while travelling. Is there a reason for this?
WHY??

If your going to turn off the LPG bottles for safety, then you should also remove the bottles from the A-frame.

Then...............where are you going to put the bottles, to be safe??

The bed of a truck is just as unsafe, and certainly the trunk or closed compartment of any kind, is even more of a hazard.

Andy
Old 04-27-2014, 01:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
The Google search function is your friend:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287...ng-118593.html

Poppy
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
data aside, one has the option as always to invoke the “precautionary principle ”

I leave my gas on.

"The precautionary principle or precautionary approach states that if an action or policy has a suspected risk of causing harm to the public or to the environment, in the absence of scientific consensus that the action or policy is harmful, the burden of proof that it is not harmful falls on those taking an action."

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Turning off the LPG bottles, because of a possible fire or explosion, does indeed, bring up a good question about safety, maybe.

If we are afraid of that happening, then the fuel tank/tanks on the tow vehicle should be also shut off, especially since they have far more fires and explsions than LPG tanks do.

But then, we can all stay home, and not have to woory about the LPG. NOT .

The people that bought an Airstream, usually did so they could relax, enjoy, and see other parts of our country as well as others.

Anything that presents a possible hazard, should absolutely have a very positive "preventive maintenance schedule.

So, if that's the case, then we should equally worry about all the tires, that indeed can blow and cause an accident. That certainly happens many more times than an LPG issue.

Then, lets check all the fuel line fittings in the tow vehicle as well, since they can get loose, then leak causing a fire or an explosion.

If we wish to be so secure, then commercial flying should be out lawed, because planes do crash.

Bottom line, is that there is a risk of just being a human being.

Using common sense, especially when it comes to safety, is something that may people assume, instead of practicing.

As a machinist, carpenter, sheet metal mechanic, welder, drill press operator, infrared heating of plastics, painter, electrician, driver, towing an Airstream, cooking, barbcue cooking, pilot, walking in a cross walk (especially in California), air tools of many sorts, and many many more things all present hazards to life.

How we deal with them, is the so to speak, secret.

If we assume, we are asking for a problem.

If we are protective and cautious, then we at least have a fighting darn good chance of living a happy and fruitful life.

There are 2 guarantees in life.

Birth and death.

Lets all, work together, and be as happy as we can to enjoy what life has to best offer all of us.

And so it is.

Andy
Old 04-27-2014, 02:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
data aside, one has the option as always to invoke the “precautionary principle ”

I leave my gas on.

"The precautionary principle or precautionary approach states that if an action or policy has a suspected risk of causing harm to the public or to the environment, in the absence of scientific consensus that the action or policy is harmful, the burden of proof that it is not harmful falls on those taking an action."
AMEN

Andy
Old 04-27-2014, 02:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Snake oil salesmen have been employing the "precautionary principle" for decades upon decades.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:16 PM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Snake oil salesmen have been employing the "precautionary principle" for decades upon decades.
Actually the opposite, they've been defying it.

In simpler terms, the precautionary principle states that, "If your actions might be harmful, but there's no proof that they're harmful, then it's up to you to prove that they're not harful."

A snake-oil salesman starts from the premise, "If your actions might be harmful, but there's no proof that they're harmful, then it's up to the other guy to prove that they are harmful."
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

So then it is essential to prove a negative on the mere assertion of a positive?

Lol , no wonder cultures decline.

A very convenient stance for one making an assertion , but not really a stance rooted in logic.

If I say that tongue mounted trailers are intrinsically more dangerous to pull than a fifth wheel, then tongue mounted trailers should be banned til proven safe?

Old 04-27-2014, 02:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

The fact is, "principles" like these are employed quite selectively, and lacking provisions for a logical handle, such "principles" are ripe for abuse and misuse.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:37 PM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
If I say that tongue mounted trailers are intrinsically more dangerous to pull than a fifth wheel, then tongue mounted trailers should be banned til proven safe?
I'm not getting into that. I can bandy semantics with anybody but a lawyer (why fight losing battles?), but that goes off-topic.

Suffice to say that there are some places, particularly tunnels, where you're legally required to turn off your propane. Otherwise, decide for yourself. If you light up your appliances before the trip, and you arrive at your destination with everything still lit, then you know it works and you've proven that it's safe.

If you light up your appliances before the trip, and something isn't lit when you arrive due to the flame being blown out by the slipstream or something, then you know it's not safe.

But your chances of exploding because just you left the propane on are so slim that you can't even measure the risk. You might lose some propane if a sharp flying rock hits your under-trailer copper propane lines and punches a hole, but you won't blow up.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Ok ok....surely we can agree about a basic assumption, lol

That is:

Traveling down the road in any car constitutes some risk because of risk of collision.

Traveling down the road with closed propane tanks constitutes an increase risk as opposed to above because you have introduced an item that adds the potential for explosion (in addition to the fuel sources already in the vehicle).

Turning the tanks on and expanding the area of the vessel to make it a larger target does not “maybe” increase risk...it most certainly does.

This increase in risk could range from infinitesimal and up but to speculate that opening the tanks would either have no effect on risk or reduce the risk is I think now for obvious reasons problematic.

Its a mathematical reality.

If there is a risk of damage to the tanks and ignition of this fuel source, expanding the target area will increase risk.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:42 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
all that said, I leave mine on because I assume the risk is very tiny....but for those who want to avoid that risk, they are successful in avoiding that risk in that decision and if that gives them peace of mind, so be it....