Old 04-27-2014, 02:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Wow. Here are a few facts although they do not totally clear up the controversy here.

Propane tanks will not explode even when punctured or shot with a gun that can penetrate the tank

Propane tanks will not explode even when shot with tracer bullets (bullets on fire)

Propane's most deadly scenario is in enclosed areas when leaks are present- both from a potential reparatory issue and ignition by flame.

There is a video that shows LP tank facts and mythsIt- somewhere online! From what I saw, where RV owners need to be most concerned is when we are in the coaches as basically there are at least four LP ports- furnace, water heater, stove/oven and fridge that could potentially leak into our living airspace. Make sure the LP warning device is replaced when faulty or every six or so years regardless.

One thing you come away with after seeing that video is the way that LP burns- its nature per se. It is pressurized, yes but it is all about dissipation or concentration in the air for it to become dangerous. That is why it takes an explosive device for it to become like a bomb- destroying the tank all at once and releasing most or all of the gas at once. Bullets can't do that. The same is true of natural gas. Gasoline is totally different.

As far as why RVs burn, here is one video I found. Note that the "fire guy" talks specifically about the 4 door fridges. That is because they are basically a doubled up version of what any AS would have with of course double heat in the rear too.

The common causes of RV fires - YouTube

I could not find the official safety vid online but I did find this hilarious spin-off James Bond one:

HowStuffWorks "MythBusters: Exploding Propane Tank"

Ok, like I said, the facts part may not settle the controversy but they did make me more comfortable being around propane and LP tanks AND lighting my stove, etc. I know to switch on the gas and get it lit ASAP so as not to "build up" unburned gas in the vicinity of flame. If there are no leaks and a place for gas build up, the pilot should burn off the gas at its regulated rate. Oh, and as far as statistics go, what we have is a varied list of why RVs catch fire at a rate of around 20K units a year. The fireman gives several reasons. The "heat buildup" alone would contribute to spontaneous combustion. Note the sources he gives as per their reports. Hey that no fuel charcoal in your back storage area is a no go! I like others travel with my refrigerator running on LP. In FL it is too hot. My last trip with my new fridge I did not check the switch inside when I unplugged the electric (it ran 24 hours on electric) and net on gas before pulling out. It was on auto BUT the new "generations" models apparently have to be reset EVEN THOUGH it says auto. So, I automatically must remember to go in and switch it! Well, got to Fort Wilderness and had warm food- in three hours, in the winter! Fifty some degrees in there when I arrived. (have a fridge thermometer too!) Our neighbors lost their CBS (concrete block stucco) home a few years ago by storing their Coleman camp gear in the garage. It got hot and poof- spontaneous combustion.

2015 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecobeast 3.55 Lariat
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:01 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
You guys are fricken nuts!

The higher your expectations the fewer your options.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I'm a pedant

It's a terrible terrible affliction
“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
You guys are fricken nuts!
Hey I just joined in to help with mediation. I am comfortable around LP now but my previous ignorance made me uncomfortable until I learned more. I like your motto r carl. How true- learn to think. It applies to LP too! Check out the free fun movie (second link).
2015 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecobeast 3.55 Lariat
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:38 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I'm a pedant

It's a terrible, terrible affliction. So am I.
Steve; also known as Mr UK Toad

"You can't tow that with that!"
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:08 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I have decided to turn off my batteries while traveling. Just too damn dangerous. Electrical fires from shorts, battery explosions. Amazing havoc can result. Oh, the break away switch needs power... 9 D cells will do that.

We did this topic last week (propane). It is time for a rest.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:53 PM   #21
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I'm a pedant

Mr Geek,

I have enjoyed your posts since the beginning. To be a card carrying pedant I would think you need a very dominant anal retentive gene. If you are indeed a pharmacist I would bet that you are a very good one. Too bad I don't live closer.

I especially appreciated your post in the thread about this same topic we just beat into the ground. It was the one that started out something like, I am not a psychologist but I used to live next door to one, or I read a book about it once.....In it you introduced (to me at least) the concept of how we follow "logical inconsistencies" all the time. YES! That is it. Getting away from any further psychobabble let me say this in the way of an answer to the OP.

Yes, run with the fridge on. The trailer was designed to do just that and it has not proven to be a safety issue. We have a very small percentage of folks who choose not to. They do not feel comfortable with the infinitesimally small probability of disaster so they opt out. Of course they gladly embrace the much greater risk of trouble due to accidents, collisions in intersections, loss of control from tire blowouts, fire from gasoline tanks, grease fires in the kitchen and so on. The concept of Logical inconsistencies makes sense to me now. Thank you Dr. Geek
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:26 AM   #22
Rivet Master
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Some people on this website get nasty over the smallest things. We're all adults here and can have different opinions.
1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:46 AM   #23
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
I always did love the saying live and let live. I am sure you will have just as much enjoyment with your Airstream if you turn off the propane as you would if your turned them on. You won't be less of an Airstreamer if you choose to turn it off. Feeling comfortable and relaxed is all part of it, so if leaving it on is comfortable for you, go for it, if turning it off makes you comfortable and relaxed by all means go for it. The Newbies Guide to Airstreaming suggests turning it off as well. Why don't we cut some slack? Not everyone has the experience and the confidence that you do!
GAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:49 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
The definition of "Safe" is "in the absence of risk", in our ever changing world there is always risk, the the key is to manage risk, because it is always there. So be "safe out there" knowing there is risk in no matter what we do, simply make a decision then manage it the best you can.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:56 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We leave ours on because it's all behind us anyway.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:56 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I'm a pedant

Yes, fortunately we like pedants in some places in our world. Doctors, Pharmacists, missile bunkers, etc. I have a bit of the gene...but thank goodness passed the full blown gene to my youngest. He is a nuclear power plant cooling system engineer.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:40 AM   #27
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I keep the propane turned off at home and when I am not using it on the road, Most of the time I run the frig and keep the propane on when traveling. I do not see any down side to turning the valve off and on each day.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:24 AM   #28
Rivet Master
2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Would smoking a cigarette while pumping gas be more or less dangerous than a pilot flame... 'cause I see that ALL. THE. TIME.

boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote