Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2017, 02:58 PM   #1

2017 19' International
Oro Valley , Arizona
Tucson > Salt Lake City in March - Where to stay along the way

We will be towing our 19' Airstream International from Tucson to SLC mid March and seek recommendations to overnight along the way (there and back). We will be traveling main routes AZ I-10; I-17; AZ-UT Hwy 89; UT Hwy 20; UT I-15. Also, any recommendations within SLC appreciated. As far as I can tell, the KOA there looks pretty good???
lkontowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #2
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Nothing wrong with KOA-- but you will be fairly close to Bryce Canyon and Capitol Reef National Parks on your way north. If you prefer RV parks, we've stayed at Ruby's Inn near Bryce and the Thousand Lakes RV park in Torrey, UT near Capitol Reef. It will be a bit wintry there in March, and you can get the odd snowstorm at higher elevations in late March.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:09 AM   #3

2017 19' International
Oro Valley , Arizona
Thanks Len 'n Jeanne for the recommendations! We normally prefer to be a bit off the beaten path, but since our main purpose for the trip is to visit the University of Utah with our high schooler... the convenience of the SLC KOA makes sense. And with the unknowns of wintry weather, I figure it's safest to stay close to main highways. The Page area is a likely mid-way stop on the way up and then enjoy a couple nights along the return. Maybe near Panguitch and then Flagstaff?
lkontowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:23 PM   #4
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Panguitch and Flagstaff are actually up pretty high. If you have information on elevations that would be the main thing. If you watch the weather, you should be fine, but the Forest Service campgrounds are liable to be closed.

Lots of pretty country in southern Utah. If you wanted to do some dispersed desert camping, you could go some out of your way and split off 89 on HY 160 through Tuba City, then north on 191 through Bluff, Blanding, and Moab. Much of this route is through the new Bears Ears National Monument, and close to Canyonlands NP. The BLM has some small primitive campgrounds that are not too far off the highway. Then west on I-70, N. on HY 6 to I-15. HY 6 does have one high pass at Soldier Summit-- towing isn't the issue but it can snow up there in March. Or a cut-off onto 163 will get you through Monument Valley.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote