Old 11-24-2014, 05:20 PM   #29
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
I still don't get why people need to invest in expensive GPS units when the free mapping software on your smart phone gets you where you need to go just fine.

We've been full timing for the last year and my iPhone has not let us down yet. We just key in the destination address and it selects one or more routes and lets you know when choosing the route, which ones involve tolls or has traffic issues. What I like best is that I never have to take my eye of the road - it tells us when to turn and where we will turn next with enough advance warning for us to position ourselves in the correct turn lane.

Between our free iPhone mapping software and our AllStays app which helps us locate everything from next rest area to where we want to camp, our navigational needs are met completely.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:30 PM   #30
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by demijac View Post
I still don't get why people need to invest in expensive GPS units when the free mapping software on your smart phone gets you where you need to go just fine.

We've been full timing for the last year and my iPhone has not let us down yet. We just key in the destination address and it selects one or more routes and lets you know when choosing the route, which ones involve tolls or has traffic issues. What I like best is that I never have to take my eye of the road - it tells us when to turn and where we will turn next with enough advance warning for us to position ourselves in the correct turn lane.

Between our free iPhone mapping software and our AllStays app which helps us locate everything from next rest area to where we want to camp, our navigational needs are met completely.
Perhaps some people travel outside of signal reception. Cell phone mapping programs typically store a small area of map around your current position, if your are moving and leave cell data coverage your in-phone app will be soon be essentially useless. I understand iOS 6 mapping stores more than previous versions. but I do not know how much.

Ken

Old 11-24-2014, 05:33 PM   #31

Quote:

Perhaps some people travel outside of signal reception and/or wish to make route changes en route. Cell phone mapping programs typically store a small area of map around your current position, if you are moving and leave cell data coverage and perhaps have need to make a detour. Your in-phone app will be soon be essentially useless. I understand iOS 6 mapping stores more than previous versions, but I do not know how much.

The direction our cultural seems to be headed, I won't be surprised to see the day when people loose consciousness when they get out of cell coverage.

Ken
Old 11-24-2014, 05:46 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
I'm guessing that a one-time purchase of a $200-300 GPS is still cheaper than buying a smart phone with monthly service. In my case I have an Android device but like the OP, it's hard for me to read it, which would mean investing in a tablet so I can see it...probably about the same price as a quality GPS unit.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:06 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
There are still dead spots on our cell phone in significant areas to make us not trust it. We have an old Garmin and a moderately old Tom Tom.. I actually love the Tom Tom more, perhaps because I could program John Cleese's voice (Monty Python) on it. At the end of the trip he says "You can get out now, but I am not going to help you carry your bags, from now on, you're on your own". I never get tired of it!! That and "Bear right, Beaver left" Cracks me up!
Old 11-24-2014, 09:56 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The Navigon software I mentioned stores all its maps on the phone. Lack of coverage only looses traffic data.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:07 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
The Navigon software I mentioned stores all its maps on the phone. Lack of coverage only looses traffic data.

I searched for Navigon and was surprised to find it is a Garmin product.

Ken
Old 11-24-2014, 10:08 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Yup. Forgot that they got bought out. Still works good.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:15 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Yup. Forgot that they got bought out. Still works good.

Near as I can tell there is no trial version. Do you think I will regret spending $49.95.

Ken
Old 11-24-2014, 10:22 PM   #38

Speaking of smartphones. The model garmin that I have connects via bluetooth to an APP on my Android phone. The app gets traffic and weather info and displays in on the GPS screen. It will display the weather radar image on the GPs which is helpful in thunderstorm season.

Ken
Old 11-24-2014, 11:05 PM   #39

I seem to be monopolizing the thread, but maybe none else is up.

Here is a good impartial review of Navigation APPs for Android. The comments at the end are worth reading also.

The best GPS app and navigation app options for Android

Ken
Old 11-24-2014, 11:19 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Corona , California
My son and I both spent the $49 and felt it was very well spent. The maps update regularly for the price, and on a reasonably modern iPhone it runs fast.

You can load it on several IOS devices in the same group like any other iPhone app. We have it on three phones in my immediate family.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:08 AM   #41
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I use Garmin ... period. The others have some nice 'features', but the Garmin and their support have been great.. I have had them on boats, motorcycles, airplanes, now use to tow our AS...

My wife is comfortable with the iPhone... but the screen is too small, especially when moving...her iPad works better, but we have to run our internet hotspot to make it work. and it is fairly reliable.. but still dependent on cell towers... a big weakness where AS tend to go..

So... the GPS which uses the Satellite is a more reliable signal, but still imperfect compared to my old compass and land nav skills with a good map and references.

for instance.. GPS has inherent offsets which can put you yards away from your actual position... similar to cell towers...but with a good map, compass and reference points, I can get you much closer...but not as fast..and without a lot of effort as the GPS does.

WE even have the GPS in the TV... it gets you within the same distance as the portable Garmins... because they use similar logic/processes... and it is 'turn by turn' in the TV so I don't have to watch the map.

A benefit of GPS is you can get them with 'weather' option.. but you have to get a subscription $$$ to turn on the feature.. It is very handy with airplanes, motorcycles and marine applications... and at times, even the AS travel might benefit from up to date weather info and moving maps..

Of course, with the AS you won't need the 'sonar' feature... i hope.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:57 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
My TOMTOM gives me FITS! When I need it most it fails me. SO Garmin it is next time we hit the road coast to coast.