Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
Sawduster

1999 25' Safari
Vancouver , Washington
Trying to Decide On A Portable GPS. Your thoughts?

Before we hit the road this spring, I'd like to get a portable GPS to help Bertha (our AS Safari) get to her next destination in a more less straightforward manner. Consumer Reports puts four Garmin models and one Magellan model in their top five of units with a 5" screen and above. And with my eyes, bigger is better.

But I'd appreciate hearing about your experiences with these or any other brand...the good, bad and yes the ugly as well. And if you were buying one today, which brand and model would be riding in your vehicle tomorrow.

Thanks.

Jim
Sawduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have several units. The best I use is the early Rand McNally RV with 7 inch screen. unit with lifetime updates. It can be a pain sometimes to put in actual addresses. I understand the newer version has updated some of the user issues.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
I don't think you are going to go wrong with picking any of the top 5 that Consumer Reports recommends - make your choice based on their recommended features.

I have an old very basic Garmin Nuvi on my dash that is still going strong (and even older Garmins that I use for fishing and hiking). It is a simple unit that I have never had problems with and have never felt the need to upgrade. I did purchase the mapping updates that are good for the life of that particular unit - which kinda suggests your choice (at least for the Garmin) should be good for the long haul. I have also loaded onto it POI's (Points of Interest) for campgrounds, parks, Walmart locations, Tim Horton locations (a Canadian thing), Canadian Tire locations (another Canadian thing) and rest stops.

You'll do fine - with any of those recommended by Consumer Reports.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
I used Garmins in the past. Today I use my IPhone.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
The Bad

I have an older Garmin Nuvi and it works good, but I hate to program trips into it as it is not very user friendly. I can add a starting point and a destination point but it will only allow me to add one via point (waypoint) between the two. This makes it difficult to plan longer trips with specific routes. It will automatically choose the route for you based on one of three criteria...either shorter distance, faster time, or least use of freeways. You can't change the route it selects without going through and setting multiple destinations on a trip.

I do most of my route planning on Google Maps on my laptop which is very easy to use. The Google Maps App for phones and tablets is not nearly as intuitive. Once I get the route I like, trying to program it into the Garmin is a PITA.

On the bright side, it has been a very reliable unit, although I wish it would break so I could get a new one!
Old 11-23-2014, 04:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Most truckers I no use garmin units. I have older garmin nuvi 1350, simple to use if you go off course it picks up where you are. I don't use very often as I just point and go from flying days, but once in awhile I have to get gps directions.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
I have used Garmin for many years. They used to charge for updates, so I just bought a new one every 3 or 4 years. Updates don't give you the new features, just updated maps.

Then they started giving free lifetime updates. I did a few updates on the nuvi model that I had. Every time I updated, my map coverage got smaller. I kept losing sections of the country. Then the thing started acting irrationally.

So, I threw it away and bought a new one. Now, I'm back to just buying a new one instead of updating the old one. Besides, they keep coming out with new features.

I hope they get like ONSTAR where you can give voice cammands instead of typing out your destination.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:57 PM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I have all but given up on the various GPS/in vehicle navigation units. I use my smart phones or tablet. Google Maps is pretty good, just watch their routing. Biggest thing I like about it is that it can be done via voice on the fly.

FWIW I use Android based stuff.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I think if I were looking right now, I would consider this Garmin RV 760LMT GPS for RV's. You can also use it with a wireless backup camera.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . I agree with Steve, that Garmin RV unit looks pretty good. BUT, I've had such up & down experience with Garmin. One's great, lose it, next one takes 3 to get one that works, free update downloaded, never works right again. . . Geez... Reviews of Rand McNally are not too good either, & you look at reviews of any of them though, they are all over the place. You pays your money, you takes your chances, eh ? good luck, Craig
Old 11-23-2014, 07:22 PM   #11
Sawduster

1999 25' Safari
Vancouver , Washington
Your In Put Appreciated...

Appreciate your input for pointing me in a direction.
I'll do a little more research, settle on one Consensus seems to get one of the Garmin units, but even then as RambinManGa said, 'you pays your money and takes your chances'.

I'll do a little more research (in other words--find one the top rated units at a good price), give it a workout and then let you know how it goes.

Thanks again

Jim
Sawduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I use my IPad and Copilot GPS. Hasn't led me astray yet.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:12 PM   #13
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Trying to Decide On A Portable GPS. Your thoughts?

As a truck driver I use the 7" Garmin dezl 760 bought this past summer. The traffic alerts included at this price are worthwhile as alternate routes through a metro area are just great. GPS is best for two things and those are the time/distance features (leg by leg through the day) and display of the mile marker.

The GPS is adjunct to the MCRA and DeLorme state atlases as well as to the CB. The large screen makes easy changes on the fly, and adjunct to it in turn is RADAR PRO on the iPhone.

These things weren't worth having until the real time traffic alert and planning features. They are in no way dead accurate. I trip plan the night before to choose the places for the two hour break period as well as a fuel stop. I may search out a recommended diner. The current series are okay for these but it still pays to check satellite photos as well as USDOT website for the states and their road reports.

Given all this I find these units can assume a role and fill it well.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I have a Garmin with lifetime updates, that's about 5 years old. It still works, but occasionally it gives incorrect directions. The problem with it is that it will no longer accept the lifetime updates. I think it does not have enough memory for the larger files that have been created for the updates.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I've had various GPS units since they first became available to us common users. I started with Garmin and every time I have strayed off the path to another brand, I've regretted it. I have probably owned a couple dozen units over the years including automotive, marine and handheld units. Garmin units will occasionally make stupid decisions, so you have to be aware of what they are doing. However my experiences with Tom Tom and Magellan have caused me to now avoid them entirely. If you want to try something from another brand, do research to find out whose map data they are using.

Bottom Line:
My advice is don't buy anything but Garmin. I've learned that the hard way.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #16
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
First time I saw a moving map display would have been around 1992 in a friends hot rod Mooney. I was more than a little awed as I was folding and re folding those sectional charts. Garmin, of course.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:13 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Garmin. Have a number of units, cars, trucks and motorcycles. Purchased a 7" unit by Garmin, I thinks its the 760, which is for trucks and RVs. Worked great with our motorhome, avoided traffic as well as low bridges etc. Always routed us right to our campground.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #18
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
My first portable GPS was a Magellan. I liked it well enough, but customer support left a LOT to be desired. Their answer for every problem was, "Ship it back to us, FedEx only, in the original box, please, at your expense, and we'll replace it with a remanufactured one that's probably older than the one you started with. Oh, and you'll lose all of your waypoints, and you'll have to donnload the latest maps and firmware all over again because we won't pre-load that stuff for you, either."

After the third go-around, I smashed my Magellan GPS with a hammer (and did that ever feel good!) and bought a Garmin. Which I still have, though I hardly need it anymore between my built-in GPS units in each vehicle's dashboard and my new smartphone. Main reason I keep it is because I can use it in a Government vehicle at work, or a rental or loaner car if necessary.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Allegan , Michigan
Rand McNally. I used to have a Garmin and won't go back. The Rand McNally is designed for RV use - you tell it what your rig is and it keeps you off roads without enough clearance. It also has a campground directory. While it always takes time to learn how to use a new device, I found the transition rather easy. Right out of the box I put it in the truck and ran some errands. It "found" all the places I that I was going to I.e nearest grocery, Post Office, bookstore etc. When traveling it is our first reference when we have to find something. Basically, it is a well designed RV tool.

Whit Nash
rwnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:25 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I use my iPhone and the Navigon application most of the time. It updates for free, once you buy the initial app from the App Store. Has some good features like traffic camera alerts, tons of points of interest.

I've tried and given up on Tom Tom and Magellan stand alone units. Too big a pita to update, stupid routing at times and lousy traffic reporting.

I've also had success at using Google Maps as well on this phone. YMMV.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote