Old 07-24-2007, 12:18 PM   #15
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Great and unique travelogue. It not only shows America and your vacation it shows a special purpose to that travel other than travel for travel sake. It also combines Airstreams with one of my other passions...cars! I especially like the vintage cars and that 1800 Roadster really rocks!

Thanks for taking us along and looking forward to the trip home.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
Saturday, July 21

Our trip home began at 9 a.m. ET as we left the French Creek State Park. We got the Rockin' A ready to go, said bye to the chipmunks, hooked up the trailer, loaded Elliott and headed out! It sure was pretty there, and we really enjoyed driving on those beautiful Pennsylvania roads.

We decided to take 76 (toll road) back farther west to avoid some of those steep grades on I-68 in MD. It was much nicer and had tunnels instead of huge grades. Here's the Blue Mountain tunnel. Too bad the air horns aren't working yet - I am the idiot who has to honk in the tunnel, and the one little horn we had working was pretty pathetic. Air horns would have been cool.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Mountain Tunnel.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	41848 Click image for larger version

Name:	Kittatinny Tunnel inside.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	41857

Here is a sign of the prohibitions for tunnel travel. I also believe you are required to turn off and shut down the propane system on RVs.

Name:	Tunnel prohibitions.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	41853

One neat thing we saw on this leg of the trip was the FedEx NACSAR racing car hauler.

Name:	FedEx racing truck.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	41851

We turned south onto 79 in West Virginia and stopped at the 325 motor home we had seen on the way up. No one was there, dang it, but we poked around it anyway. Apparently it is a home for the saleperson or construction foreman for Grafton Homes in that area. I left a note in their door handle with the forum address and our email address on it. We'll see if anyone contacts us.

Name:	Two motorhomes!.jpg
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	41855 Click image for larger version

Name:	325 at Grafton Homes.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	41856

After going through Charleston, WVa (my home town!), we saw a parasailer enjoying the sunset. (I-64 was horrible in WVa.)

Name:	Paraglider 1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	41852

We crossed into Kentucky at dusk and here is the refinery at Ashland.

Name:	Welcome to Kentucky.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	41854 Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashland refinery.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	41850

No Airstream sightings this day (not counting the 325 in WVa).

One more day and we're home!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:51 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
Squaw Valley , California
Susan,

Great pics of your trip. My wife and I own a 1965 TR4A which we bought with our wedding money back in 1984. We did the VTR National in Seattle and Breckenridge, Co. way back when. It's good to see them still on the road.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:01 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
Very cool, 48 liner! Was your Breckenridge trip in 2001 or was it in the 80's? We were there in 2001 - we were the ones with the Amphicar parked on our trailer at the entrance to the concours.

Brad has a TR4 he is working on restoring to be his daily driver. He really really wants to get it done, but life keeps getting in the way right now. They are beautiful cars, and my favorite body styles of the regular Triumphs.

Susan

Old 07-25-2007, 05:06 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
Last Post: Sunday, July 22

Okay, the last day of the trip!

I forgot to say on Saturday's post that it was Bike Week in Carlisle, so we saw nothing but bikers all over the Interstate and at the gas stations along the way. We passed the Carlisle grounds on 76 and I caught a glimpse of a field that was nothing but a SEA of chrome! Imagine finding where you parked your bike amid 10,000 other bikes...

I missed a good picture of the tobacco fields in Kentucky (the barns/tobacco sheds are black there, and some of the fences, too), but here is one I grabbed out of the side windows as were were going by.

Name:	KY tobacco field.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	41954

We saw via The Next Exit guide that there was a Camping World in Bowling Green, and drove around a good bit trying to find it. It is well off the highway and not marked very well, but we eventually found it. It is a smaller store/service facility, but they will be moving to a new building just off the Interstate soon.

Name:	Bowling Green Camping World.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	41950

Here was another cool thing in Kentucky - racing fuel at the pump! This pump, anyway. This is the gas my racecar uses - wish we had that here in Arkansas! It was locked with a padlock to prevent people from putting it in their regular cars, I guess.

Name:	Racing fuel pump KY.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	41956

Here's a beautiful picture I got going through Kentucky. I don't have the filters and lenses to be able to capture what it really looked like (awesome!), but the pic should give you an idea.

Name:	Pretty mountain & clouds.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	41955

We stopped for gas at a Sheetz and they had the neatest tanker truck I have ever seen there. Here's The Rockin' A and Elliott at Sheetz, and the cool tanker.

Name:	Elliott & Rockin A at Sheetz.jpg
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	41952 Click image for larger version

Name:	Sheetz tanker.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	41959

We saw four Airstreams/variants today, yay! The first one was about 2 p.m. on I-65 around mile marker 36 (dang - didn't write down if that was Kentucky or Tennessee!). It was a newer trailer being pulled by a champagne-colored pickup (no pic, sorry!)

As we were driving down I-65 in Tennessee, this fellow came up behind us and passed us.

Name:	West Coast Sand Rail.jpg
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	41957

As he went around, I saw the little trailer they were towing said "West Coast Sand Rails," and he was from somewhere in California. What a trip they must have had, driving an open car like that on the Interstate! I'm sure the suspension was pretty hard, whew.

The fun part of the evening was getting into Arkansas (horrible I-40, bleah!) and having the brake master cylinder start leaking. The brakes felt spongy when I was driving earlier, and Brad said they were getting worse, so we stopped about 8 p.m. at the Wal-Mart at Exit 241 to check them out and add fluid. While there, we saw an Excella that had set up camp in the parking lot. The fellow came over to talk to Brad while I ran into Wal-Mart for fluid. He and his wife were from eastern Tennessee, and he apparently worked for a large RV dealer a while back (probably retired now). They were headed for Branson, and looking forward to it. I didn't get his name.

Name:	AR Wal-Mart Excella.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	41949

And lastly, I barely got a picture of the little Argosy motor home that sits beside a barn along I-40. It has a little Argosy trailer behind it, but I didn't get it in the pic (I had forgotten to look for them and had to scramble for some sort of shot before they were out of range). They have been there as long as we have been travelling that way (maybe 3-4 years).

Name:	AR Argosy MH.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	41948

That's it! We made it home about 10:30 and checked our email after nine days on the road. The kittles, mules and donkey were all happy to see us (the horse is at a friend's and the dog was being boarded).

I hope you have enjoyed our trip! We thoroughly enjoyed spending time in The Rockin' A and are looking forward to our next voyage with him!

Susan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Car show at factory outlet 2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	41951  

Old 07-25-2007, 05:08 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
One More Picture...

Here's one more neat shot I wanted to share. I got it out the back window as we were driving through Tennessee on the way up.

Name:	Elliott through lens.jpg
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	41960

Susan

Old 07-25-2007, 05:57 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
Oops!

I just looked at my post and saw the pic at the bottom I erroneously loaded.

This pic shows the same car show at the factory outlets in West Virginia off of I-79, but is the one I intended to post and forgot it.

Name:	Car show at factory outlet 1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	41964

There were several nice cars there and the funny thing was everyone turned and was looking at us as we went by. I wanted to stop in and tell them we had heard about their show and drove all the way up from Arkansas for it, but Brad was antsy to get back on the road so we didn't stop.

Okay, that's all folks!

Susan

Old 07-25-2007, 05:58 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
HI Susan and Brad,

Welcome back home. Thanks for all the photos and the travelogue!

Vaughan
Old 07-25-2007, 06:48 PM   #23
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Wow !
That was fun!
Really like the on the road photos.
And all the cool cars.

Used to see lots of those Spitfires like the red one.
Never road in one, but imagined you could drag your knuckles on the road if you reached down.

What a great toad your Spitfire makes.

Good job
Old 07-25-2007, 06:59 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Great job Susan,

Thanks for posting all of the photos except the one of the crunched TR2. I have fond memories of a TR2 from high school, and it hurts to see one crunched. The 2 is still my favorite TR.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:02 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
Squaw Valley , California
Susan,

We were at Breckenridge in 2001. We were in the concours and got into the parking garage right as the down pour started.

The TR4A was my daily driver for 17 years. We figured we've put about 200,000 miles on her before retiring her from active life. Due to the Liner restoration, she's been delegated to the back of the garage and hasn't been on the road for over a year and a half. Every once in a while, I fire her up. Starts every time. I've found over the years that the insurance companies don't like her as a daily driver. It's funny because they don't have a problem with my '68 VW Bug that I drive to work.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:07 PM   #26
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Thumbs up Great thread Susan!

Lovely photos and what a great narrative!! How fun to combine Airstreaming and cool cars!! I always wanted a TR-7....sigh!! They are all lovely!