Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
BLUEBELL

2021 25' International
Naples , Florida
Trip to Washington DC

Planning a trip to Washington DC this summer. Any suggestions on tours of the town, campgrounds etc.?
BLUEBELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1994 25' Excella
Atlanta , Georgia
Similar problem: looking for extended stay in DC with my AS

My son and his wife are having their first child, my second grandchild, in mid-May. My wife and I hope to spend the latter half of May, all of June within a reasonable commuting distance from their home in Rockville Maryland or near the Metro line. If we had our choice it would have three way hookups. So far the only place we have found is too pricy for a lengthy stay.
I hope that you might have some ideas of other parks or places in close proximity.
Mike Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
When you get to DC stop by and see your government officials and ask them what on Gods green earth are they doing?

Brian
Old 02-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up Dc !

We've been there many times. In fact, we were just there this weekend. We love it over there, and consider it an escape from the serene, natural area where we live.

Take a look at the thread linked below. There is some good (and less than good) information there. It's easy to sort it out. If you have any specific questions about our experiences in DC, please just ask.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ing-78490.html
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Close in:
Greenbelt National Park - no hookups
Cherry Hill Park - nice, but pricey and the noise from I-95 is kind of annoying

Farther out:
Capitol KOA is between Baltimore, DC, and Annapolis. Also kind of pricey (it's DC... land is NOT cheap), but quieter than CHP.
Lake Fairfax Park, looks pretty nice

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
DC's finest

Joe and I grew up in the MD burbs of DC. We used to ride through Greenbelt Park on a regular basis growing up. BUT I HAVE NEVER CAMPED THERE. It is CHEAP, but check the online chatter about the quality of the camping experience because I can't say...Greenbelt is a nice central location- near the Beltway, not far from a Metro station, etc. Also check the Army Corps of Engineer Parks Guide for inexpensive campgrounds DC in the area.

There is NO question that the Smithsonian museums could take all of your free time and are fantastic. If you do the Smithsonian, take the metro- right to the Mall and the museums.

Here are some of the sights I like that are not the Smithsonian-
Library of Congress-- some interesting things to see there (Gutenberg Bible, etc.)
Vietnam Memorial (one of the few sights I would feel comfortable touring at night-- walk from there to the Lincoln Memorial, see the Reflecting Pool, and the other Memorials on site)

White House- another "AT NIGHT" walking tour- walk around the block and see the White House and other great architecture

The Spy Museum (unbelievably crowded at times- but really fun)

Drive across the Bay Bridge to Kent Island and eat crabs/seafood on the Bay at one of the seafood restaurants (Harris Crab House--or Annie's are good and there are others we have never tried)

National Cathedral (It used to be on Wednesdays that there is a free 1/2 hr demo of the magnificent pipe organ)

Mt Vernon- really amazing new additions to the Mt Vernon experience

If you like thrift stores the best you will ever see are in the DC area- if that interests you, PM me.

Kathy
whitefawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
x

XXXX , XXXX
If you have an interest in vintage Airstreams and their restoration why not drop in to see Frank of Frank's Trailer Works in Baltimore. He is truely a craftsman at his work.

Home Page
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:12 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Nothing fancy but this is a good location to camp with full hookups on the Virginia side of DC.

Bull Run - RV Camping
Jackstincan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Springfield , Virginia
Please see my PM
lylesgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
I'll cast another vote for Cherry Hill Park. Full hookups, sites reasonably spaced. Catch a bus right at the park to take you to the train station to ride into DC. Maybe a bit more expensive to stay there but I felt the convenience was worth it.

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
Take full advantage of the Metro. Can't beat it. The price of the pass it well worth the cost as opposed to trying to park in our beloved seat of Government.

One tip on the Metro. If you head to the National Zoo - coming from the main area of DC do not get off at the official Zoo stop. Go to the next one past it and walk back. The two stops are pretty much equal distance to the Zoo entrance. But walking from the stop past the zoo is all downhill. The walk to the Zoo from the official National Zoo stop is all uphill.

Then when leaving the zoo, walk downhill to the Official Metro Zoo stop!
Getaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Bluebell,

I live in Arlington, Virginia, a native Washingtonian. The list of things to see and do in the Washington area would quickly swamp the forums.

As to where to stay in your trailer, a nice little spot maybe 20 miles south of the City just off I-95 is the Prince William Forest RV park (formerly known as Travel Trailer Village). I haven't stayed here yet (my first stay will be May 18-20 for an off-road running race), but the reviews on the Good Sam Club are good. If you look at the satellite photos, some of the back-in slots are right on the forest, which has beautiful hiking trails and such. If you want something more rustic, there's a campground in the National Park itself, not sure about hookups but at least there's a dump station. I've camped here often, it's nice, in the middle of the forest.

For transport to the sites, consider driving just a short trip from the RV park to the Quantico station of the Virgnia Railway Express (VRE), which takes you straight into Union Station in D.C., just two blocks from the Capitol and all the major sites (it's also a transfer point to the Metro). It runs every 25 minutes or so during rush hour. Or just get in your TV and come straight up I-95 (the traffic will be a little brutal on week days) and into the city, parking is perhaps $25 a day around the Mall.

If you want to share your specific interests, I'd be happy to recommend sites to see.

Lastly, there's a great BBQ joint in Woodbridge, VA, Dixie Bones. Always worth a trip!

Cheers,

Jim
Arlington, Virginia
Airstream Dad is offline   Reply With Quote