Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Napanee , Ontario
Trip to Virginia-Civil War Interest

Hello;
I am looking for information to help in planning a trip in 08 April to Virginia from Ontario Canada. Is this the forum where I could ask about reasonable camping sites and near by Civil War interest sites?
Basically we are pulling a 94 Excella. We were members of the Airstream club last year but were unable to participate in any club functions due to competing family demands. This was our own loss/fault.
At this point we would like to begin to do some camping br taking a trip to Virginia in April. Are campgrounds there open at that time? Do forum members here have any campground preferences in Virginia?
Regards
Brian Hobin
Brian Hobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Brian, While I have been to VA a couple of times, and have friends and family there, I'm not sure where to camp. I have seen a couple of nice looking RV parks while travelling there, and have seen people post about their favorite spots.
There are a number of Civil War sights. Fredericksburg is one of my favorites. Opposing forces on opposing hills, with the town and river between. Bitterly fought there. The internet should have lots of info.
Good luck in planning your trip!
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Fredricksburg, VA.

Brian,
I left on a Tuesday morning for Pigeon Forge, TN. as a layover before heading out to Fredericksburg, VA. on Wednesday morning. Plans were to arrive Wed. evening at the Fredericksburg KOA and then catch a shuttle Thursday morning into Washington, D.C. to see the Smithsonian and other sites in the area. The last return shuttle leaves around 5:30 p.m., I think, for the campground. Plans were to see 3 of the 4 battle sites in that area. If you go to the Fredericksburg, VA. KOA site, they have info on some of the battlefields in that area and how their shuttle works.

As luck would have it, I experienced brake/bearing/tire failure short of Kingsport, TN. that left me sitting in an RV Service lot overnight until a new drum and bearings came in from N.C. Repairs were completed by 12:30 p.m. Thursday and we didn't reach Fredericksburg until late that night. We slept in and didn't get to see anything before attending a wedding Saturday afternoon, the primary reason for making the trip in the first place.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

I'm here!

Brian,

I live here in the "Shenandoah Valley" of Virginia, better known as the "Bread Basket" of the south. Yes, there are many places to stay, most within a few miles of a major battle site durning the war, as we like to call it, of "Northern Aggression".

I'm on my way out the door and just noticed the thread. You can either "PM" me for more info or I'll try to post much of the info you will need later today.

Since your coming from the "NORTH", but we won't hold that against you(being from Canada) you can start at the north end at Gettysburg, PA and work south to Harpers Ferry, WV to the valley and over to Fredricksburg, VA etc.....

Remember, 80% of that war was right here in my backyard. Winchester, VA changed hands 8 times in one day!
Old 01-05-2008, 06:14 AM   #5
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Paul-

Please don't forget that many of you Southeners went to Canada during the conflit and held parliment type meetings and all sorts of other nasty planning. Since Brian is from Canada he would almost be a brother of the south! The Gettysburg KOA is a really great spot. Free pancakes in the mornings, a short movie at night about the area and so on. Not sure of their season dates though.

Rick
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:19 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
Va Campgrounds

Highland Haven Between Floyd and Roanoke
However, it doesn't open until May 1st.
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Brian,

If you're planning and visiting Northern Virginia, the Fredericksburg KOA here is probably your best bet this time of the year. It should be centrally located for alot of your adventures. The Lake Anna State Park campground is also very good (water & electric), but are only open during the warmer months.

Civil War history abounds here in Fredericksburg with 4 major battles happening in the area (Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Wilderness and Spotsylvania Courthouse). My Great, Great, Great Grandfather fought in all four battles and was captured at Spotsylvania, where I live today. My house (and Airstream) actually sit on the site of Colonel John C. Tidball's artillery battery during the Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse on 12 May 1864.

Down in Richmond (an hour South), there was Cold Harbor, Yellow Tavern, Chickahomany, the Trafalgar Iron Works, Jefferson Davis home and the Civil War Museum.

At Petersburg, there is the Crater.

An hour to the NW is Manassas (Bull Run).

Lot's to do and to see. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spotsylvania_LakeAcres_jpeg.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	557.8 KB
ID:	51941  
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:46 AM   #8
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I agree that Fredericksburg-Richmond-Petersburg has plenty to do for a first survey. There is a lifetime of sites, museums, markers and parks to work your way through. The ruins of Tredegar Iron Works in Richmond is the location of a very good museum and interpretive center. We also have the White House of the Confederacy - another very good museum.

If you get our way (and if we are not travelling) we've got CP available. We are 50 miles from Fredericksburg, 35 from Richmond however.

Welcome and enjoy your stay in our fair Commonwealth.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:52 AM   #9
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I would recommend a stop in Sharpsburg, MD, also known as Antitem. The area is beautiful and it is hard to believe that 23,000 and 4000 animals died there in less than 12 hours.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:02 AM   #10
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Culpeper is lovely too.

Don't know of anyplace there to camp but it is a lovely old town and has some civil war sites, museums, etc.
Culpeper, Virginia: Civil War