Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2011, 03:09 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
St Louis , Missouri
Trip to Utah - campground recommendations?

We are planning a 2-3 week vacation to Utah. I'm thinking part our time in the
Canyon lands area and the rest in the Bryce Canyon area. Any recommendations on campgrounds would be appreciated. Looking for campgrounds that are well located in each of those areas for day trips to the surrounding attractions.
Jay53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:26 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We like Dead Horse Point State Park which is down the road from Canyon lands. They have nice spots with 30 amp service, rest rooms and a dump station. Make sure you bring water.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:51 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Don't forget Arches and the river walk in Zion! Can't miss these two parks if you are in the area.
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I agree with Richard: Do Dead Horse Point! And bring your hiking boots and camera!

Lynn
Old 04-02-2011, 07:30 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
I forgot, if you should visit Zion and do the riverwalk, be sure to wear swimming suits and good pair of waterproof sandles or shoes and a hiking stick. When we were there we hiked the river and it got above waist deep but it was a blast!
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Bryce has some nice campgrounds in the park if you can get by without electricity. Otherwise the best choice is Ruby's Inn right at the mouth of the park. See this thread about Bryce -- http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...nds-68656.html

You'll need reservations for Ruby's Inn. We found the Pa'rus river trail in Zion to be very hot in all but the morning and evening. Taking a dip wasn't an option in May high water.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:50 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Columbia Falls , Montana
We just left Zion yesterday and are heading back to MT. I highly recommend Watchman Campground. Its location is convenient to many hikes, and their shuttle system can take you to many others. And the views are magnificent!
MTsafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We stayed in Bryce then nearby Kodachrome Campground last summer. At the south entrace to Zion is a Best Western with 6-8 shaded sites, cable, 30amp, water and sewer. All are next to a creek across the street at $15 a night. You have to watch carefully or you'll pass by. If you are doing this when school is out try to get to where you will camp late morning to get a spot if you don't have reservations. The IPhone has an App called Campwhere that uses GPS and will locate campgrounds and give you info.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:53 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
St Louis , Missouri
Great suggestions. Thanks everyone.........Can't wait!
Old 04-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Canyonlands has three campgrounds

One close to the rim with no hookups
One private campground with a general store and pay by the minute showers
One that is just some rough sites around a rock formation

There is also a large campsite under a shade tree that groups use
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #11
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
If you guys are up for a hike into a remote part of Canyonlands, the Horseshoe Canyon unit (west of the rest of the park) offers world-class pictographs - try googling the Grand Gallery Horseshoe gallery.

You have to go North from Moab, then west to Green River and then south to Goblin Valley State Park (which is a primo destination in itself). Then daytrip east to the head of the trail. It will blow you away.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:15 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
St Louis , Missouri
More great ideas................thanks.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:11 AM   #13
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
We had great sites in Arches and Deadhorse/Canyonlands.
Our last minute planning forced us to take two shorter stay reservations.
We spent just two nights in Arches, and three in Deadhorse, but it worked out very well.
We hiked all the main trails in Arches in the three days/two nights we were there, then hit the highlights over in Canyonlands from Deadhorse.
It's beautiful out there, but was warmer than I would prefer. (we went in late Sept. should have waited until Oct.)
The elec hook-up in Deadhorse was nice for the A/C, but evenings were cool enough for a campfire..
Next time we will try to head to southwestern UT. (only had a week last yr.)

My pic (at left is fom Arches) Near Devil's Garden. Concrete slab realitively private spot.
Here's a bigger image:

Jeff
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:11 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
We camp every spring and fall in Utah.
The best campground in Utah IMO is devils garden in Arches. It fills very fast so you need to reserve as early as possible. Dead Horse is nice, & Horse thief is a good second choice that usually doesn't fill up (it lies between Arches and Canyonlands). The Fruita campground in Capitol Reef is a nice little Oasis in the desert. Any of the camprounds in Bryce are great as is Red Canyon just outside of Bryce. We camp there every year in early May and Oct. June is pushing it without hookups and anytime July - Sept. and you'll want hookups to deal with the heat. If you're going during the summer, the Bryce area gives you a better chance to beat the heat.
We're also planning a trip back through Utah when on our way back from a Rt 66 trip during the first week of June. We're going to spend a few nights at the new Shooting Star drive inn. You might want to look into it.
Shooting Star Drive-In - Opening May 6, 2011
Charlie
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
We're also planning a trip back through Utah when on our way back from a Rt 66 trip during the first week of June. We're going to spend a few nights at the new Shooting Star drive inn. You might want to look into it.
Shooting Star Drive-In - Opening May 6, 2011
Charlie
Hey Charlie, I would be interested to see your review of this new campground after you have stayed there. Looks interesting. Might be a good base camp for an area photo outing.
Jerry
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
If you choose not to stay in, or can't get into one of the campgrounds inside Arches or Canyonlands, we stayed at Riverside Oasis Campground at the north end of Moab. Full hookups and shade.

If you are in Moab, don't miss a green chile hamburger at the Moab Diner.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:19 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25 View Post
Hey Charlie, I would be interested to see your review of this new campground after you have stayed there. Looks interesting. Might be a good base camp for an area photo outing.
Jerry
Sure, I'll take some pictures and post them after the stay along with a review. We don't usually go for anything with hook ups but this just sounded like a neat sidebar to our vacation. He has basic power and water sites as well as full hook up sites. I grew up with drive in theaters and have a hard time finding one anymore so I look forward to that and hopefully checking out some of the old airstreams of the stars if they're not occupied. The owner said he just came back with Audrey Hepburn's Airstream while she was shooting Breakfast at Tiffany's, so I take it that all the Airstreams decorated after the stars where actually the Airstream they used while on a movie location. We'll most likely spend the days hiking and then kicking back at the drive in for the evening.
I'm sure it would be a nice spot for a photo outing. As I recall you like telescopes and that area has the best visibility of any area in the lower 48. The night skys are incredible.
Charlie
Charlie
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cookeville , Tennessee
Bryce for a day or two, Zion is excellent, but Dead Horse is a must. No showers at dead horse. Get one of the first campsites on the right when you come in. # 1-5
tcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:22 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Sport
Boise , Idaho
We just got back from 3 weeks in UT, AZ and NM. I will tell you that I-15 south of SLC is in HORRIBLE condition. We did extensive damage to the front end of our Durango due to pot holes and actually popped 2 rivets in the ceiling of the Sport. Construction barriers that are placed on the white line on your right make the potholes unavoidable. Posted minimum speed is 45, and I hit some at 40. $1,400 and a day later in Mesquite and we were on our way!
baldwin6601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Got back two weeks ago from Moab.
Stayed Riverside Oasis. they were supposed to have me in a pull through as I am 51 ft long - 31ft trailer and duramax crew cab short bed.....got there and they had me in a short back in despite me having reservations.
I was NOT happy with the move and voiced my displeasure, but stayed with them anyway as I didn't want to go looking for someplace else.

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bryce canyon, dead horse, travel