Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2015, 09:07 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Trip to Lake Tahoe

From Phoenix, AZ to Lake Tahoe, what at the roads like and best way to go.

Pulling a 25ft Flying Cloud.

DA
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Route - Phoenix to Reno

We have taken the following route, which is scenic and probably not the fastest:
  • US-93 (Grand Avenue) - Phoenix to Las Vegas

• US-160 - Las Vegas to Pahrump

• Local roads - Pahrump to Death Valley Junction

• US-190 - Death Valley Junction (through Death Valley National Park) to Lone Pine, CA. Note: Long, steep mountain grade over Panamint Mountains.

• US-395 - Lone Pine to Reno.

When we took this route a couple of years ago, all roads were in good condition; and most two-lane sections had convenient passing lanes.

You should probably check weather forecast while on the road, as some sections go through mountains.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:11 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
We just had a storm pass through the area last night. New snow at the higher elevations in the Sierra mountains west of Reno into Tahoe. More precipitation forecast for today.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
As Phoenix said, except that if you're headed to South Shore, you probably want to turn off of 395 at Minden or Carson City rather than Reno. You can also go over Monitor Pass south of Lake Topaz, but it starts off with a steep climb and switchbacks that might be a bit of a grind pulling a 25' trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:11 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
I use hwy 50 from Carson City. It is a much wider road and an relatively easy tow. You didn't mention what time of the year you plan to go. All mountain passes are open at this time I believe. I go to Death Valley every November. There is a steep pull from Stovepipe Wells and a steep downhill to Panamint Valley. The downhill is 10% for ten miles.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:42 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Going mid-June, not sure if NV or CA is best route?
Old 04-28-2015, 06:35 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Mill Valley , Left Coast
395 side will be great in June, cross over one of the southern passes.
I think ( someone else chime in here pleases) but there is some great
camping around Mammoth June lakes area. I just can't remember about
if there were spaces or where.
J.B.
jbxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:24 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad518 View Post
We just had a storm pass through the area last night. New snow at the higher elevations in the Sierra mountains west of Reno into Tahoe. More precipitation forecast for today.
You shouldn't have to worry about snow if you travel in June or July. With our current drought conditions, we'll be lucky to have water of ANY sort left by then.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:32 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
To Tahoe

Thanks for the GOOD info.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbxx View Post
395 side will be great in June, cross over one of the southern passes.
I think ( someone else chime in here pleases) but there is some great
camping around Mammoth June lakes area. I just can't remember about
if there were spaces or where.
J.B.
Mammoth Lakes = one of my favorite places on the planet! And if you have dogs, it's extremely dog friendly. You can hike with your dogs, and take them out on the lakes with you, etc..
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:54 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
Hwy 395 through the Eastern Sierra is a beautiful drive. It is a good road with ample passing lanes in the two lane sections. I have been up hwy 95 through Nevada to Reno. It is a desert drive all the way pretty much. Death Valley can be pretty hot in June. Unless you have a stout tow vehicle with an equally stout cooling system, I would avoid it. If you are stopping in Vegas, I like the Oasis RV park. It is dog friendly and across Hwy 15 from Bass Pro Shop on Blue Diamond. Leaving Vegas take Hwy 160 (Blue Diamond) to Hwy 95. Take Hwy 95 to Hwy to Hwy 266 to Hwy 168 and over Westgard Pass. At the top of Westgard pass is an ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest.
Disclaimer:I have not towed over Westgard Pass but did drive it many years ago. It was not bad then. Head north on 395 to Bishop and Mammoth Mountain. Mammoth Mountain RV park is in the pine trees and much cooler than Bishop. Mammoth is bear country. Don't leave food out at night or an ice chest visible in your tow vehicle. Last fall I had muddy bear paw prints on the side of my truck and the rug outside my door. Call now for a reservation at Mammoth if you want to stay. Just before Lee Vining !/4 mile up on Hwy 120 (Tioga Pass Rd) is the "Whoa Nellie Deli" inside the Mobil Station. Inside and outside seating great food always busy.
If in Bridgeport around June 24 stop by the Paradise RV park for the So Cal Streemers High Sierra Paradise Rally http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...ml#post1503318. Introduce yourself to some nice folks and fellow Airstreamers. They have a meet and greet on Friday night and potluck on Saturday night. The rest is free time to visit Bodie Ghost Town and fish or relax. Unfortunately I won't make this one.

Welcome to the Airstream Community. Have a safe and relaxing trip.

greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
We boondocked on Westguard Pass a few days ago, a mile or so to the east of the turnoff to Bristlecone Pine forest. We pulled off on a dirt road and my ever-adventurous wife hiked down a half-mile or so and found a great turnaround spot where we could camp for the night. Then we continued on to Beatty, NV. There are a few flat spots to camp on the very top of the pass, but everything is pretty much on a slant otherwise. Beautiful drive from Big Pine to Beatty.

-----------------------------------

When I retired, I thought about taking up armadillo breeding. It doesn't pay much, but the armadillos seem to like it.

Dave McReynolds
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote