Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2009, 06:37 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Pee Wee,

I think you mean the home of Neil Armstrong. Senator Glenn was from Cambridge, Ohio. Hey, they were both NASA astronauts and got a ride in an Airstream motor coach.
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:48 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
In 1955 my Mother, Helen Byam Schwamborn, and I arrived in Jackson Center for the first time. We stayed at Mrs. Rogers Boarding House. Prior to that both Andy and Tim Charles stayed there. And possibly even Wally Byam, don't know but possible.

Before Mrs. Rogers had her boarding house the building was a school house.

Today it is the Verndah. This is one great upscale resturant. They are open for lunch during the week and on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday they are open for great dinner meals. You can check with them for their hours and days.

This is a stopping off place for dinner for many western Ohio residents.

Try it, great food, hospitable, and nice ambience.
Great shot of resturant, if you look at the building behind it, that is the museum, former church.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:06 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Jackson Center Seventh Day Baptist Church

Next to the Verandah Eatery is the Jackson Center Historical Society Museum. It is the converted church.

The religious beliefs were different than most Baptists. They, like the Seventh Day Adventists, celebrated their faith on Saturday. The may have been the only Baptists to do this in the state of Ohio, or they were the last church to do so.

Interesting side line about the musuem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	09-10-2009 (463) 2800.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	305.3 KB
ID:	90437  
Old 11-06-2009, 03:58 PM   #24
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The Verandah is in a beautiful Victorian house and very well kept.

The museum is only open 5 days a year and only for a few hours each of those days. They are something like May through September. We would have liked to see it, but we'd have to stay about 7 months.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:23 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Original Structure Was a School

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
The Verandah is in a beautiful Victorian house and very well kept.

The museum is only open 5 days a year and only for a few hours each of those days. They are something like May through September. We would have liked to see it, but we'd have to stay about 7 months.

Gene
If you take away the porch, and take away the gazebo, you have a rectangular structure. Stage 1 school, stage 2 boarding house, and stage 3 a resturant. Amazing what a little bit of carpentry will do to jass up a brick building.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:57 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
We visited our trailer in the repair facility today. We are currently staying at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, about 40 miles south. The floor had been repaired and new covering installed. About 50% of the kitchen furniture and bath had been reinstalled. Definite progress. Our assigned mechanic, Jon, gave me a rundown of all the places where he found some leaks that needed caulking. He had put the trailer in their water flood facility to find vulnerable spots. There were about 10 leaky areas he found and had to repair. My embarrassment is that at least two of these, I had inspected a couple of weeks ago, I thought very carefully, but missed the fact that they might be vulnerable to leaks.

He said we might be able to get the trailer back Wednesday at the latest. That's a little over 7 days of work they've had to do on our trailer.
TankerIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:06 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Currently Looking...
Maryville , Tennessee
TankerIP, I am glad they are making progress.

If you don't mind, could you ask him some things for me and others here ?

Could you ask him the best way to find these leaks sooner than later ?

Any tricks ?

Especially the rear trunk area as that seems to be a very bad design area and we need to know a good solid fix.

Thank you.

Robbie R.
Robbie R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:50 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
I have asked the question of how to absolutely detect leaks, several times at Jackson Center without any real good answer. They just don't have an answer. Obviously if you have carpet, then you can feel around for moistness. If you have linoleum or hardwood, you then have to use your ingenuity to sample areas for wetness of the subfloor. Maybe we can collectively dream up a system. I started a thread for that at:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...one-58195.html

Certainly, we have to be vigilant and regularly inspect our seals and caulks.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:55 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
One of our very own forum members has a leak detection system:

ifindrvleaks.com

Chief

AIR # 22776
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:27 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankerIP View Post
We visited our trailer in the repair facility today. We are currently staying at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, about 40 miles south. The floor had been repaired and new covering installed. About 50% of the kitchen furniture and bath had been reinstalled. Definite progress. Our assigned mechanic, Jon, gave me a rundown of all the places where he found some leaks that needed caulking. He had put the trailer in their water flood facility to find vulnerable spots. There were about 10 leaky areas he found and had to repair. My embarrassment is that at least two of these, I had inspected a couple of weeks ago, I thought very carefully, but missed the fact that they might be vulnerable to leaks.

He said we might be able to get the trailer back Wednesday at the latest. That's a little over 7 days of work they've had to do on our trailer.
Hi, TankerIP. Is this repair tab on you or can this be claimed on your insurance? Looks very expensive to me. Hope all of the damage and leaks are repaired. I want to go there some time, [Jackson center] but just to visit, not for major repairs.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:59 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I second a visit to the Bicycle Museum ofAmerica. It's a treat, especially if you're a bicycle rider.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:10 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Welcome Tank to our area. I think you have found the folks at JC are just down-home folks that do good repair work. Sorry you have had so many problems. Hope you have enjoyed the National Muesum of the United States Air Force. They actually changed the name from Air Force Museum a couple of yrs ago.
Hope your stay in our area is a pleasant one. If you need anything,PLEASE feel free.
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:44 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Jackson Center on a September Morning

Rural American, the backbone of our nation!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	09-10-2009 (457).jpg
Views:	122
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	90478  
Old 11-07-2009, 09:18 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
It's an Investment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, TankerIP. Is this repair tab on you or can this be claimed on your insurance? Looks very expensive to me. Hope all of the damage and leaks are repaired. I want to go there some time, [Jackson center] but just to visit, not for major repairs.
No, unfortunately, no insurance. We went through a lot of soul searching and rationalization before coming up here to do this. I got a few estimates elsewhere - none really much better than what it will cost here. I blame the PO and the original dealer for not really following up on leaks and fits before it came out of warranty. I did get a good purchase price when we bought 3 years ago, but now I am certainly at full retail invested. On the other hand, I now have confidence that with Airstream repair expertise, the trailer will last for a long time to come.

If I had tried to take the trailer apart myself, I might have broken something (like the wet bath) and I would never have found the source of all the leaks(like around the frig) like this crew did.

I figure it like this: Just have to travel a lot more time and trips to get the per unit cost down.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:23 AM   #35
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankerIP View Post
No, unfortunately, no insurance. We went through a lot of soul searching and rationalization before coming up here to do this. I got a few estimates elsewhere - none really much better than what it will cost here. I blame the PO and the original dealer for not really following up on leaks and fits before it came out of warranty. I did get a good purchase price when we bought 3 years ago, but now I am certainly at full retail invested. On the other hand, I now have confidence that with Airstream repair expertise, the trailer will last for a long time to come.

If I had tried to take the trailer apart myself, I might have broken something (like the wet bath) and I would never have found the source of all the leaks(like around the frig) like this crew did.

I figure it like this: Just have to travel a lot more time and trips to get the per unit cost down.
RV insurance policies, cover damages that are "sudden, accidental and direct".

Long term damages, as from water leaks, would be denied.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:21 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Almost Done!

Tomorrow we go back to Jackson Center from Dayton to get our trailer. The folks said it would be ready Tues evening. The picture below is the work-in-process from Friday.

We spent several hours over a few days touring the Dayton Aviation Trail including the Air Force Museum. DW was really impressed with all the rivets. She even asked if there was a way I could flatten our trailer rivets to look like all those airplanes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0029pan.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	90623   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0144pan_2.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	90624  

Old 11-10-2009, 05:02 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Is the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson Air Base? I'd like to go there sometime. How far is that from the Airstream factory?
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Phoenix,

The Museum is located at Wright-Patt......about 61.9 miles from Jackson Center (Airstream Factory). I highly recommend allocating a full day to see it, and try and take the side tour to the hangars that house the older presidential aircraft. It is sobering to see the 747 (AF One) that carried JFK's body back from Texas, and the modifications that were made to accomodate the casket. It is also sobering to see "Bock's Car".....the aircraft that dropped the second A-Bomb on Nagasaki.

Hope you make it there someday.

Chief

AIR # 22776
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Jackson is about 45 miles north (give or take a few). The Museum is at the base. It is FREE. Of course they will accept donations. We visited there on 4 different days for a couple of hours. You just can't see all the exhibits in one day. There is so much to see, read and take pictures of. National Museum of the USAF - Home
Old 11-11-2009, 05:12 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Back in the Trailer

After a nice week vacation in nearby Dayton, our trailer is ready and we got it back today.

We arrived about noon and our tech, Jon, took us through the trailer carefully pointing out all the things that he did. The big change, of course, was our new vinyl floor. They put down the same material currently used on the production line We think it goes very well with rest of the decor. He identified 10 areas of leaks that he worked on. Then the tractor moved the trailer to a Terraport spot. We will spend the night and leave early AM.

We were very impressed with the quality of the work. The trailer smelled great. Everything was left spotless. All the systems checked out perfectly and we are ready for the road.

For dinner, we thought about going to Hobos next door to Airstream but it was closed. Next door to there is Melvin's. That was very good. I had very good bacon mushroom hamburger and my wife had a great grilled chicken salad. That plus my two beers was still barely $10. A clean friendly place. I recommend it.

The Terraport looks full already. Six of the eight sites in our pod are filled. There other two pods are about 50% occupied. It's a cold Ohio evening. Winds are blowing. Slated to drop a little below freezing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0157.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	90713   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0159.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	90714  

Name:	IMG_0161.jpg