Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2005, 07:58 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
It would be interesting to know what they have to do to retro fit the dual steps? Apparently they don't just unbolt & replace them with the dual.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 10:35 PM   #22
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I agree with the 15K A/C. This was one of the "no-brainers" for us. We live in Georgia and plan to use the coach at least one week end per month year round and plan a week at the beach each year. We also have family in Florida and are real Disney fanatics (we have annual passes and go at least 3 times a year now) so I know there will be lots of trips to Florida. We also plan to take longer trips to the Western states when our two boys get old enough to really remember so Summer camping will require the largest A/C we can get.

But it is the Spring and Fall months that I would like the windows for. We just visited a mini-ralley in the north Georgia mountains where everyone had their windows open during the daytime and no one used their A/C and I don't think anyone used their power vents. I went into one of the AS's and there was no need for A/C during the day. This is what I am talking about wanting big windows for. The vista views would be great for the extra light and some privacy with the blinds closed in the early moring and early evening, too.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 12:25 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Interesting question

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.E. Milliman
It would be interesting to know what they have to do to retro fit the dual steps? Apparently they don't just unbolt & replace them with the dual.
Best,
A.E.Milliman,
I suspect it's more of an issue with the the chassis configuration than anything else.
Several years ago when I was on a factory tour, I asked Don, the tour guide, about using the "standard aluminum" step in place of the steel and, his answer was..It wasn't possible to swap from steel to aluminum.
I'll look under a few of the models and see what the different is..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 05:36 AM   #24
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
As far as I can tell, the 2 step is a bit wider, not as wide as the Classic, cuz that they said they would have had to change a lot more, thus the extra cost to that of the standard Safari 2 step. Looks to me that they had to cut a bit of the lower brown facia trim to accomidate the wider two step. I think that some of the outrigging also had to be changed, but don't quote me on that, but after any of those changes, it bolted straight up. It took them about 2 hours to do it for our 2004, other years/models may vary. In the end, it looks great, like it was done on the line, with the exception that it's black, meaning they didn't paint over it all and even paint over the traction tape like I saw on ones coming off the factory floor, which to me not having it painted in that manner is a plus. Being that it's black, it I feel it also blends in better with the lower facia trim, but that's just my personal opinion. I'll post some pics to my website once I get back and let you all know when they are on there.

On the window side, I've been happy with the amount of air in spring and fall. If for some reason there is no wind or the wind is too light, I turn on one or two of the fantastic fans on low and get instant breeze. I find this helpful both when not connected or connected to shore power. One other really great thing about the fantastic vents/fans is that they both have the rain sensor. Last year while here in the Louisville area working on the farm, I was out in the field when it started to pour. With no time to get to the coach in time to close them, as I made a mad dash for the camper (forgetting these units had rain sensors), I made my way round the corner to the Safari to find that the vents had closed on their own, and that zero water got in.......
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 06:57 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
the two step is a pain....its a hassel to put down, and its a hassel to put up...the added leverage puts tremendous strain on the mounting points. john hd showed me a jig that will stiffen the structure...personally i think its just another piece of crap to fool with....we all need less crap in our life....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 07:44 AM   #26
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert
the two step is a pain....
You just need the right dance instuctor.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 11:17 AM   #27
Craftsman

Started from Baltimore at 6:30 am and got to the factory just as they were finishing the tour. The constant rain and an accident in PA.involving a tractor trailer that backed up traffic for 10 miles and forever delayed our progress just enough to make us to late for the factory tour.We did get a personal tour of a 34 LTD slideout that had just come off the line. I was really impressed with the quality. If this unit is an example of whats rolling off the line, the attention to detail and workmanship shows. It was excellent especially the cabinet work. I hope mine comes out as well. Looked at a 34' non-slide at the dealer in Columbus on our way home, because this is the unit that we are ordering and have to say it felt like it had more room up front than the slide. Also the issue that I was having with the stove top positioned next to the credenza wasn't as big a deal as I thought when seen in person and not just as a layout in the catalog. The 06's are weeks away, so will wait to see the new fabrics, although the LTD with Willow and the Tan Corian counter tops was really nice. Total trip was over 1100 miles in 21 hours.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:33 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Wow, sorry you did not make it for the tour. That had to only add to the frustration of your long trip. I am glad you liked what you did see.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 03:01 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Glad to hear the reports from factory tour takers that the quality seems to be on the rise. Maybe they got sick of reading about the awful quality lapses coming out of there on this forum. But it sounds like they are the upward bound with the quality control. Will be eager to see the '06 Model Quality thread how the trend is going.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:47 AM   #30
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Can't speak about the Classic alum step, but the Safari's is fairly easy and painless. As for strength, I had a 298lb guy come in and out of the coach several times and it didn't have any issues with it....and to me was a great test since I'm only 170lbs.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:21 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2003 33' Land Yacht 33
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Oh, one more thing...a lot (not all) the new coaches are getting larger stainless steel guards up front. These guards are up to the center rivet line now. A HUGE plus since a good number of my dings are lower than the center rivet line, but higher than the old style protectors. Not sure which coaches don't have them yet, but I do seem to recall the Safari and Internationals (and CCDs) seemed to all have them.
We have about 2500 towing miles on our 2005 28 Classic and have accumulated 2 dings above the roadside rock guard. I think the higher guard are a good idea.
alvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 10:57 PM   #32
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinator
We have about 2500 towing miles on our 2005 28 Classic and have accumulated 2 dings above the roadside rock guard. I think the higher guard are a good idea.
I totally agree. I installed some robust mud flaps to help lessen the projectiles as I too have two (matching twins, one on each side).