Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2016, 12:40 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Stoughton , Wisconsin
Trip to Glacier and Banff

Looking for advice on a trip to Glacier USA and Banff in September. Camp grounds, things to see, special equipment or whatever. Thanks in advance for your input!
Tim
1965 mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:39 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
I can only speak about Glacier. Banff was on the agenda at one point (along with Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Jasper), but we decided to leave those parks for another trip.

So we spent almost two weeks at Glacier this month, hiking, rafting, horseback riding. Incredible park. Loved it. I wish we could have stayed much longer.

When I started planning this trip two years ago, another forum member, InterstateFlyer, recommended the West Glacier KOA. That was excellent advice. (Thanks again!) We don't boondock much and absolutely require advance reservations for a trip like this, so that was a good home base for us. Because we stayed there the entire visit, trips to the east side of the park were limited. Next time, we'll see about camping several nights over there too. I'd bet that the campgrounds in the park empty out quite a bit after Labor Day, which would be good because I don't think any of them take reservations.

If you are in to hiking, check out Jake's hike734.com hiking map. It's an excellent resource. He also sells a great Going To The Sun driving guide.

I apologize in advance if mentioning bear spray drives this thread off the rails (like campfires guns GYMs etc), but there's a reason why they sell it at all of the Glacier gift shops. You can even rent it at Apgar Village. If you do pick up a can, make sure to get somebody to show you how to use it.
teagues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Tim, you are in for some spectacular country with these destinations. We have been to Glacier and Banff a number of times. Last summer we finally did the big trip to Jasper and then back down to Banff.

If you leave GP on the east side you should stop in at Waterton lakes which is just above the border. You can follow highway 2 to Calgary and then it is a short hop into Banff. There is a huge Provincial park right in Banff, Tunnel Mountain I believe. September is a great time to go so you might want to call ahead for reservations. You will have to pay a park entry fee when you get there. It is good for the entire park which is good.

Banff has some of the most spectacular scenery we have seen. Elk hang out at the campground. The Banff Springs Hotel is a must see and is open to the public.

If you leave GP on the west you can follow highway 93 north to Radium Hot Springs where you will enter the park. You can stop and experience the hot springs if you are interested. This road will deliver you to Canada's highway 1 half way between Banff (to the south) and Lake Louise (to the north). There are a couple of campgrounds here that we have stayed at. We camped at Johnson Canyon. We drove into Banff one afternoon, just around dusk, on the old highway which runs parallel to 1 just to the east. It is 1-A and we saw so many animals it was unbelievable. Bear, goats, deer, sheep and elk all came out to feed.

Lake Louise is another spectacular spot but I will be honest and say that it has become so crowded that I doubt we will go back. Very limited parking makes it even worse.

If you have the time I would highly recommend Jasper to the north. The rivers and lakes, mountains and valleys are beyond what I can say here.

As we have said many times, we have traveled extensively through the west and have stayed at Yellowstone and Jackson Hole, done the coast from California all the way to the Olympic Peninsula and nothing compares to what we saw in Banff and Jasper.

Have a great time.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:51 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Stoughton , Wisconsin
Is having a generator along a good idea?
Old 07-31-2016, 08:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Be sure to see waterton lakes park, north of glacier, on the Canadian side, beautiful...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965 mustang View Post
Always a good idea. If you find yourself unable to get into a park they usually have overflow parking. The generator will be nice.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:01 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
Google Lake O'Hara

Visit the Lake O'Hara basin. It is limited access, but you can try to "win" a couple of tickets for a bus ride into the area. Otherwise, you can do as my family did: hike the 7 miles trail in. Then, it is another 5-8 miles of scooting around the various lakes and points of interest. You can ride the bus out, yes, without having won the lottery, but watch the clock so as to not miss the 3 pm exit bus. I guess if you are willing to hoof it in, they take pity on you. Very worth while. One of the most beautiful places that I have ever seen, especially when the larch forest turns golden in the Fall.
The bus ferries people to the back country lodge. $500.00 / night minimum 3 night stay. Too expensive for me! There is a backcountry tent campground, all crammed together, monitored as this is big grizzly country.

Susan
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
We traveled last September from GNP to Watertown Lakes NP , then to Banff. Returned through Radium Hot Springs, West Glacier and West Yellowstone.

A couple of notes; if crossing into Canada at Waterton be sure to check the border operating times. They are not open 24 hours.

Traveling from Waterton to Banff include highway 40 on your route. Spectacular and the highest concentration of grizzlies in North America, so I'm told. The highway connects to 1 at Canmore.

We are heading back to Banff early September then on to Jasper, Kamloops, Torino and back.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:34 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
I can't speak for Glacier, as we have not been there but Banff and Jasper are not to be missed. We camped in Canmore and used it as a home base while we were there. It was easy to walk into town from our campsite. I think the road we loved was 1A. It is the scenic road to Lake Louise. We took that one day and found the cutest little swiss chalet. It was crowded with bike groups having lunch so we didn't stop. We made it to the entrance to Lake Louise and it was so crowded and chaotic that we turned around. There is a great little take out sandwich stop at the gas stop that is fabulous so it wasn't all a wasted effort. Our neighbor in the campground told us about Two Jack Lake. He was a Canadian and said he preferred it over Lake Louse. We went there the next day and it was drop dead gorgeous. Stopped the second day and ate at the Swiss Chalet and it was great. Be sure to take proper rain gear. After two weeks of nonstop rain we bought it in Banff and then it didn't rain a drop after that. Go up the Ice Fields Parkway to Jasper. We couldn't get into the actual campgrounds at Jasper so we actually camped at Valemount and drove back and forth for a couple of days. The campground was nice and the folks were friendly but Valemount was not spectacular. It does line you up for the trek into Kamloops. Jasper was also beautiful and well worth the visit. We count those two areas tops on our hit parade. They share a three-way tie with Tofino. We are going to GNP in a couple of weeks so I am going to follow your thread.
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . On our 14k mile journey to AK last year, I thought the Icefields Pkwy was as pretty & interesting as anything we saw. Going N in June, lots of wildlife, going S in Aug LOTS of traffic... enjoy, Craig
Old 08-01-2016, 03:35 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
What a wonderful trip. Remember it is going to be cold at night.

Have a good time.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:36 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Calgary , Alberta
Hey you're coming to our backyard. If you are not in to much of a hurry and want to bypass Calgary. Then I suggest you head north from Waterton to Pincher Creek then west to Lundbreck. Just past Lundbreck to come to Hiway 22. Take it north till Longview and go west on the number 40. This will take you through Kananskis. This is a pretty drive and you can find a few campgrounds along the way. Mt Kidd is a nice one and just off the main road. Then the 40 connects to the Trans Canada and you can take this straight into Banff and on to Lake Louse and Jasper if you want.
If you are a rock hound or just like big rocks. A few miles from The turn onto the 22 at Lundbreck is a place called Frank. This is the town that was buried by a landslide in 1903.
Also if you go to Jasper you may want to check out the Columbia Ice fields. This is a glacier that you can take tours on.
Lots to see. Have a great trip.
DaK
DaKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:42 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Stoughton , Wisconsin
On our trip around lake superior ( I highly recommend ) the power boxes at the provincial parks were a ways away. We needed a lot of cord. Is it this way in this area as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-01-2016, 09:12 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Comox , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965 mustang View Post
YES &/or solar. You will find if you decide to come up through BC that not many/most of our Provincial Parks for example have power sites.
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:23 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Victoria , British Columbia
This place is very basic and a bit out of your way but it was our favourite place in Alberta when we lived there.

http://www.albertaparks.ca/sheep-riv...ping/bluerock/
Hullap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:30 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
I just returned from East Glacier and Waterton provincial park a couple of days ago. Fortunately for me it's my "backyard".
You've been given some great info so far....especially concerning "border crossings" etc. I repeat they are not open 24 hrs.
September is a great time to visit these parks but don't wait too long as "weather can and will" alter park access if you wait too long. Plus I can't overstate if you are a "hiker" or "bike rider" the necessity of having "bear spray" properly worn on your person....not one can for all but "one can" for each! Sadly, we just lost a National Forest Ranger to a Grizzly who apparently "blindsided" him while riding his bike in very familiar territory...just outside of GNP.

A good alternative campground on the east side of GNP is "Johnston's RV Park". It is located in St. Mary's, Mt. They also have a restaurant on the premises but I didn't use it. Met some great people however.

Enjoy

Pat
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:26 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Stoughton , Wisconsin
Thank you all for the great advice! We are looking forward to a much needed vacation!
Old 08-06-2016, 02:36 PM   #18
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Be sure to check the park on-line calendars to make sure you can do what you want to do. Portions of Glacier NP close up early, after Labour Day.

This page is really helpful: https://home.nps.gov/applications/gl...s/cgstatus.cfm

If you're going to Glacier and Banff, think about Waterton Lakes NP in Alberta, as well.

We've camped at both Fish Creek and St. Mary in the park, which are fairly standard Park Service sites: no hook ups, parking pad, picnic table, fire ring. We've also stayed at the commercial Glacier Campground in West Glacier. Not luxurious, but nice vegetation screening between sites.

If the road is still open, we really recommend the drive up to Bowman and Kintla Lakes. This is a rough road, but the scenery is super and you lose most of the other people.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote