Old 03-11-2015, 02:33 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Originally Posted by Glenritas View Post
Good grief !! Glad your OK.

Back in '86 I was going through Las Vegas on the freeway , I was the only car on that section of road, when up the on ramp comes some idiot do 70+ and accelerating on a collision course with me. I punched it and he went by behind me straight into the center divider . He missed me by that much

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:03 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2015 16' Sport
Huntsville , Alabama
Glad you were not hurt.

Ron A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:19 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB International
Dayton , Ohio
well if it was raining and the kid was in a lower vehicle and didn't really look, a grey airstream would kind of blend into the grey sky. that's why i always drive with all my lights on even when not towing. glad you are okay and hope they get you back on the road quickly.
Artvez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:33 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Even though it is repairable it may cost enough that the insurance company will total it.
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:45 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
irving , Texas
You was in an accident in dfw and the person that hit you had insurance, that is front page news the last accident I had I live here no insurance no driver license the car was title in three different peoples name they was issue one ticket officer told me they most likely wouldn't pay it and it help to keep their racial profiling down
halftimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:10 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch said it and thats how it is here in the DFW area. If the car had been drivable he would have run.
"If it can't be reduced, reused, repaired, rebuilt, refurbished, refinished, resold, recycled or composted
then it should be restricted, redesigned or removed from production."
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:10 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
It probably is scant comfort, but as hard as he obviously hit, at least the Airstream didn't roll. That would have done it in. Among all of your repairs, have the dealership inspect the piece that the ball fits into and the lock - damage there can be overlooked, then the newly repaired trailer pops off the ball and then bad stuff happens.

Once it's repaired, it will look like brand new again, and you'll be able to fergit about it. I'm betting 20K inside and out, with some floor and wheel work being needed. You could run a raffle and give away an Airstream Keychain to the winner on the actual cost. Hope the kid has good insurance - and really hope he dropped a load in his jeans and got the invulnerability scared out of him.

I remember Artstream had blue neon (or maybe rope lights?) installed under his trailer - they could be illuminated while the trailer was underway. It's amazing how many accidents happen because "I didn't see it" In my case it happened twice in three months when compact cars changed lanes, moving left, into the side of my old RED Silverado 2500. Both on city streets with traffic having me slowed to a crawl. How did they not see something roughly the size of the Great Wall of China?!

Most of all I hope you get to go camping again within 3 weeks.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:45 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I'm ALWAYS watching for merging traffic on those on-ramps, especially when I'm driving with the trailer on. Too many people seem to think that everyone has to move over and make room for them when they enter the highway, instead of them slowing down or speeding up to MERGE with traffic instead of INTO me!
Glad you are ok, and hope the kid is too. Possessions can be replaced, but not people.

Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:35 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Tonganoxie , Kansas
I drive a semi and if I am in the right lane and there is traffic in the left, and somebody is coming on the "get on", I always look to see if they are looking for traffic or just looking straight ahead. If looking straight ahead, they get a little air horn music, which means, "wake up idiot". It's amazing that so many people don't know the meaning of "YIELD".
TWA640316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:40 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
San Diego , California
As a cyclist, and a motor scooter rider, I've learned to "drive as if I'm invisible." It helps you to stay out of trouble.

But, s*** happens. Maybe that's why, twice, while driving my car, I've been backed into while stopped at stop signs, by other drivers who decided to back up, and said they didn't see me behind them! One stupid girl (also an 18 year old, by the way), backed into me, and then went forward a little bit, and then put it into reverse and backed into me again. WTF?!!
My New Blog Project:
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:01 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member
1980 31' International
Cincinnati , Ohio
We are also glad that you, your family and this silly young man were not injured more than this. The trailer, while the photos make my stomach roll, can be repaired.

Both my husband and I see many people texting while driving and it is infuriating. I would love to have a neon sign on our vehicle that flashes STOP TEXTING, YOU IDIOT. But, alas, no such luck...yet.
Jenn & Robb & our two furry kids
Maizie ('the Black Dog') & Dex ('the Brown Dog')
1980 International 31
WBCCI #4447
AIR #70157
Rhino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:47 AM   #26
Regular Guy
1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Ouch. Makes me ill thinking about it. Anything you can walk away from, is ok with me. Could have been worse. Guardian Angels (PS 91) have their work cut out for them, for sure.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:48 AM   #27
Full Time Adventurer
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Everyone on this forum jumps to the conclusion that people are always texting and driving, but maybe he was just not observant. I can't count the number of people who cut me off and never look in their mirrors, move their head to look behind them. They just come over, assuming nothing is next to them.

Assumption is the greatest risk on the road. Conditions change within seconds, and you assume no one is there because no one was there 3 secs ago, except for the speeder who just entered your blind spot. BOOM.

It's called situational awareness and reality is, a lot of people don't have it.

How about pay attention. Not texting is a good start, but not the end all be all.

And this is just one more reason I advocate cameras recording in your vehicle at all times. If they where doing something, it sure is useful in court to prove it.
Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:00 PM   #28
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
I hope the young man is OK too. I'm sure it wasn't the highlight of his day to end up in the hospital and have his car wrecked. At 18 he hasn't been driving very long and just doesn't have the experience of this older crowd.

My son is 19 and tries to be very cautious on the road. He doesn't text or even hold his iPod. He plugs it into the radio and just listens to the music. He drives below the limit and tries to stay out of everyone's way. People are so nasty to him, blowing their horns, giving him the finger and nasty looks. I've ridden with him, he isn't doing anything wrong except being very cautious so as not to hit anyone. He keeps his distance, signals way in advance of turns or lane changes. He's rewarded by being ignored or cut off from the lane change by people speeding up. No thought about when they started out driving.

I would probably be upset if a new driver had hit our car or the trailer but I'm glad that everyone seems to be OK.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote