Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2005, 08:55 AM   #1
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Trip Report (KY - MA - NH - ME)

We just got back from a nine day trip from Louisville to New England and back. We had a great time and everything worked well. I just wanted to share a few notes for anyone who might be interested.

We got a late start and only made it into Ohio last Saturday. Pulled a big eighteen hour day on Sunday and got up to New England. We took a slightly different route this time, 71 up to Akron then 76 to 80 through PA and then we got on 84 and stayed on it through NY and CT up to the Mass Pike. This was a change from our normal 87 to 95 route and I have to say - it's the way to go. Less traffic, none of the NYC/95 nonesense. Low stress and decent roads.

We saw about ten AS's headed west on 80 in PA. We flashed our headlights at everyone and wondered where they were all headed.

Stay at my sister's place in North Andover then headed up to Seacoast NH for a few days with my wife's parents. We had beautiful summer weather and spent every day on the beach. Cooked out every night and had a bonfire on the beach.

Finally ended up at the Recompetence Campground in Freeport ME. Cooked lobsters and corn on the cob at the campsite with some old friends. Tinkered on the Beetle, drank lots of bourbon slushies, made a big campfire, made samores. Hiked down to the water, watched the clamers and the lobster boats, checked out the tide pools. Loved it when my daughter asked "Daddy, the sign said this was the beach...where is all the sand?"

Hung out in Freeport, then headed home. Saw a 310 (???) on 76 near Akron headed the east. Are you on the forum?

Made it home last night (this morning) at about 2:00am. When I got up this morning my son said, "Dad, that was a great trip....thanks". Made it all the better.

The only mechanical issue we had was a lost bolt from our left header collector which blew it's gasket and caused some exhaust combustion on deceleration. A quick check of the GPS to the closest NAPA, $2.50 later we were back on the road and troublefree.

Man...I love Airstreaming.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
..... Cooked lobsters and corn on the cob at the campsite with some old friends. Tinkered on the Beetle, drank lots of bourbon slushies, made a big campfire,.... Loved it when my daughter asked "Daddy, the sign said this was the beach...where is all the sand?"....When I got up this morning my son said, "Dad, that was a great trip....thanks".

....Man...I love Airstreaming.
Dude:

That's what it is all about - it just don't get any better.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 11:35 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
I 84

If you got on I 84 in Scranton PA, that's the way we always take to get to (from) NH. The traffic and bridges over the Hudson lower down are just too congested and frenetic. We tow a 30' classic and I like to stay away from the heavy traffic. I 84 and I 95 are just about the only ways out of NE.

Glad you had a good trip.

Lobster, lobster, and more lobster

Mark
Old 08-09-2005, 02:09 PM   #4
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Dennis,
You said it.

Mark,
No kidding. It was like a completely different introduction to New England. No traffic to speak of and almost, dare I say, a calm and fun stretch of road. Usually I'm white knuckled and ready to kill someone coming up 95. I think this will become our new route into and out of NE for anything. Even when we head to SW Conn well come over 84 and then head down from Waterbury.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
man that sure does sound nice. Away from this southern rainy humid mess too!
I had lobster last week too- Carribean style in the Dominican Republic, not quite New England but quite tasty!!
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:52 AM   #6
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Alan,
The heat and humidity hit me like a wall of water when we returned. It's not so bad when you don't realize other parts of the country don't have this kind of summer. In fact Suzanne had to put on a sweatshirt a few nights. Which made all of our friends laugh. Kept calling her a "Southern Belle".

Kind of waiting until Fall before we do too much camping around here.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
in the caribbean it was 90 but breezy, with humidity only after a rainfall. amazing how different 90 felt there.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote