Old 11-13-2015, 11:50 PM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by loislane View Post
Question for you all - what is the biggest pain right now in your trip planning - is it time? is it choosing where to stay? Is it figuring out how to get there? Is it making an itinerary or something else? Any pains you could share I'd appreciate!
If you're planning a trip where it will take several days to arrive at your destination, it sure would be handy if you could plug in your starting point and final destination, and then see possible overnight campsites along the way on each possible route. Especially if you could select your desired one-day travel distance, and see what campgrounds are that far apart on your route.

Say I was traveling from New Orleans to Farmington, New Mexico— a trip I actually took earlier this year. I wanted to travel about 350 miles per day. If I could see possible routes between the starting and ending points, with possible stops on each route relatively close to 350 miles apart, that would make trip planning so much easier. A supposedly shorter route that requires large detours to find campgrounds isn't nearly as desirable as a slightly longer route that has campgrounds where I need them.

As it stands, I can't display my planned route and the campgrounds on the same map. I use Google Maps on my laptop and Allstays on my phone, and compare the two maps to figure out what's near my route and near my daily travel distance. An app that lets me plot my route AND shows the campgrounds near that route— all on the same screen at the same time— would be a godsend!

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 12:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Ditto. Trying to figure out the distance vs location to camp is a total pain. It also seems that google maps doesn't like to compute a full cross-country route. Something that could be told to plan a range of possible distances per day, then locate campsites (both commercial and others) within a reasonable radius of the total tout would be most helpful.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
I agree with the beginning and end points, but would like to see points of interest along the selected route. Like your idea. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 11-14-2015, 09:35 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
One of the things I love about the Pocket Earth app is that it allows you to drop little dots of color wherever you like, which you can code and label according to type. It also holds these until you delete them.

I used this on my trip west last summer, and loved it.....one color for route changes, one for campgrounds, one for points of interest, etc.

A bit of time each morning, and a dash holder for the IPad mini, and I was good to go til I stopped for the day.

I keep on this app my location, and that of friends and loved ones, to help plot trajectory.

For me, the ability to drop something, to indicate whatever it is, and/or to star favorites, is critical to a good travel app.

Maggie
Old 11-14-2015, 10:41 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have a Garmin GPS RV version. Shows campgrounds, attractions, restaurants and repair facilities along with a route. Still doesn't beat a good paper map though.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:32 AM   #20
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Start and Stop as initial input and the ability to use 'overnight filters' (e.g., BLM, Commercial, Private, etc.) and daily drive time/mileage limits that produced a 'top three' alternate routes would be high on my list of interest. Certainly a Settings tab so preferred choices like highway versus interstate, and my max travel speed so the algorithm doesn't assume I go faster and suggest destinations/routes I won't do. Regardless of which approach I use today for trip planning, these are the core parameters almost every long haul trip. Maggie's concept has merit and the ability to use my contacts (w/addresses) as an input with a selectable filter (by category: friends, family) would be outstanding.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:45 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Another feature of the Garmin is it provides an ETA
Old 11-14-2015, 01:43 PM   #22
TAC-TN3

2005 31' Classic
near nashville , Tennessee
hi lois lane I love your idea and ideas from others one thing I would like to see is if one has to leave interstate travel, will alternate route be suitable for a 30' trailer. some roads r so narrow that I have to close my eyes. ( not really)gg r there dead ends ? low trestles ? I know not everyone needs these but I love to get off hgwy and would feel better if I knew.
I am handicapped and i would like to know if places r accessible for my electric cart, do they have ramps, wider doorways, etc... it may seem I want too much but I love to see things and go places.
thank you b4 hand get to work keep in touch pat
Old 11-14-2015, 02:39 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant View Post
hi lois lane I love your idea and ideas from others one thing I would like to see is if one has to leave interstate travel, will alternate route be suitable for a 30' trailer. some roads r so narrow that I have to close my eyes. ( not really)gg r there dead ends ? low trestles ? I know not everyone needs these but I love to get off hgwy and would feel better if I knew.
I am handicapped and i would like to know if places r accessible for my electric cart, do they have ramps, wider doorways, etc... it may seem I want too much but I love to see things and go places.
thank you b4 hand get to work keep in touch pat
The Garmin GPS RV version lets you enter a vehicle profile that will pick a route considering vehicle length, width and height.

It's not foolproof though, on my last trip with a programmed destination of a specific campground Garmin took me to a dirt road. The campground was actually a mile or so farther down the road. So you still need to use your head.