Old 12-31-2014, 06:43 PM   #85
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
John:

In answer to your question regarding provincial parks; they are completely independent of Parks Canada much like state parks in the U.S, compared to national parks.

BTW - you should be able to buy the Discovery Pass at the first national park you come to but check first. We've bought our passes at Pukaskwa National Park on Lake Superior and again at the Castle Hill National Historic Site in Newfoundland.

Cheers,

John

Old 01-05-2015, 04:41 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
Tomorrow we leave for Florida, then out to Quartzsite and other points SW, and back to NC by April 2. Planning these two trips has just about driven me crazy. I'm very disappointed that of the four travel guides we requested for the Atlantic Provinces, only one arrived--Novascotia. We have a great map of NS and the AAA maps and Atlas are ok for preliminary planning. We'll make do until we get up there. Regardless, suggestions are still solicited. My wife's family is from Vermont, Norteast Kingdom, and one of them suggested that while we are up there we should add the Gaspe Peninsula....looks kind of far. My next post may not be for awhile, but when I do I hope it will be my 90% solution for an itinerary. Thanks again to all.

John

https://instagram.com/silvereagle3100/
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:10 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The Gaspé Pen. is a spectacular drive with some "interesting" parts for a trailer. Cape Breton Highlands NP is similar and shorter. Both feature highways along the water, sometimes way above the water—St. Lawrence River and Bay.

Sometimes the travel guides aren't ready until late in winter or even spring. They will probably come, but planning can start with last year's maps and some of the travel books on the area. I've been waiting for years for some I ordered from Pacific Coast states, Canadian provinces have been pretty good with guides although the quality varies a lot.

Gene
Old 01-05-2015, 06:36 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
Gene, pls define "interesting parts for a trailer"? We were in Alaska, Yukon, BC, AB and more this past summer....I have had my fill of washboarded roads.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:17 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEagle6 View Post
I'm very disappointed that of the four travel guides we requested for the Atlantic Provinces, only one arrived--Novascotia. ......
Don't be too hard on them - Canada's camping/travel season is a little shorter than what you might be used to - most facilities/campgrounds will usually begin their season on Victoria Day weekend in May and end on Thanksgiving weekend in October. Your guides are very likely at the printers now and will be packaged and mailed out over the next month or so.

Till then the websites will still give you what you need.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:49 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
Don't be too hard on them - Canada's camping/travel season is a little shorter than what you might be used to - most facilities/campgrounds will usually begin their season on Victoria Day weekend in May and end on Thanksgiving weekend in October. Your guides are very likely at the printers now and will be packaged and mailed out over the next month or so.

Till then the websites will still give you what you need.

Jay
That should read Eastern Canada's camping season.

George
Old 01-10-2015, 12:26 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEagle6 View Post
Gene, pls define "interesting parts for a trailer"? We were in Alaska, Yukon, BC, AB and more this past summer....I have had my fill of washboarded roads.
Steep grades, switchbacks, and tight, blind curves. Not a lot of that, but I do remember one area on the Gaspé Pen. that was "interesting" in an SUV alone. Also big drop offs with a big "splash" or "crunch, splash" at the bottom. Nothing that cannot be done while you're making memories. All paved, so no washboard.

Gene
Old 01-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #92
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I recall one 14% downhill grade that ends on the outskirts of Perce' with a shudder every time I think of it. No problem as long as you were in good shape at the top.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:44 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
We are boondocking in Quartzsite AZ and met a couple who travel to Gaspe Peninsula every summer. After sharing our partially developed itinerary, they encouraged us to add the "side trip" to Gaspe. With our current plans to visit NB, NS, PEI and NFL, I'm wondering if it really is doable. Thoughts? Our travel window is June 1 to mid Oct.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:42 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
If you will be on the road for 4 1/2 months, you could, depending on how fast you drive, see all of Canada. You might not enjoy it very much though.

How much time do you want to spend in NFL? That is the place you are most likely never to return to, so it will probably be the major part of your trip. Then figure out how much time to spend in each of the Maritime Provinces*. Do you want to go to Labrador? Add that in. I find on long trips it is good to schedule one day a week with nothing scheduled to give us time to rest or to see things we hadn't thought about.

You could do two trips—most of the Atlantic Provinces* this year, Gaspé, northern NB, Labrador and the rest of Quebec the next. Gaspé was nice, but not so great that I remember much of it. But everyone likes different things.

Gene

*NB, NS and PEI are the Maritime Provinces, add in NFL, and you have the Atlantic Provinces.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:57 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
Gene, we have not had email access for the last several weeks. Earlier in my post I had a proposed itinerary for our trip. We still plan on starting June 1st and will extend into October. To recap, we will go to NS, until early July, then up to NFL for about six weeks, then a week in PEI. We had wanted to be back in Acadia ME by Sep 10. Now we will head up to Gaspe Pen from PEI, then down to Acadia.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:09 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Silver', sounds like a great trip. Three + months. Our longest trip has been 6 weeks and that was long enough. That last week I couldn't wait to get home and take a shower with my arms spread out.

October in the north may have nasty weather, especially in NFL. Check weather averages. It may be best to reverse direction so you go north in June, then to NFL and back to NS and Me. in late Sept./early Oct. They shut down Bar Harbor, next to Acadia NP, on Columbus Day weekend. Gret deals on clothing that weekend.

Gene
Old 02-26-2015, 06:51 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
We are about 90 days from the start of our journey. Still plan to leave Eastport ME around June 5th and will now head to Van Buren ME and cross the border at St Leonard and take Rt 17 to Dawsonville, Rt 132 to Amqui then rt 195 to Matane. Will pick up rt 132 again and follow the coast to Gaspe where we will stay several days weather permitting. We plan to follow the coastline south until we join our original route through NS. Other than the three night stop at Gaspe, the other stops will be "wherever". Any suggestions?

Old 03-02-2015, 05:22 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
Been reading some post on tripadvisor about camping around the Gaspe peninsula. Hopefully somebody on t.his forum can clear up something for me about dogs in parks. Several of the parks state that dogs are not allowed in any of the parks, some post say that only pertains in provincial parks not national parks. One post said you can even camp in the parks with a dog.....Is any of this correct? Is this just a Quebec province thing? When we were in AB, BC and Yukon, dogs were never an issue. I have not come across this in any of the other Atlantic Provinces.
If you can point me to a link that can clarify I would appreciate it....