Old 12-16-2014, 11:16 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iys.Da.Bye View Post
I am amused with this fine history and geography lesson. During the thirties most were in the same boat. With the prosperity that comes with offshore oil not to many will have to be adopted as this poor island is suffering about as much as Alberta. Btw Alberta is the second province from the west coast.
Are we spewing pretty close to accurate info here??!!

weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:33 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
Hey folks, as the OP I really hope to keep this thread on message. There has been some great info provided on what to see, where to go, etc in these four provinces. So, please keep those coming, especially great campgrounds/boondock sites on any of the four provinces. Thanks, John

https://instagram.com/silvereagle3100/
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:47 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
We received a copy of the movieand the book The Shipping News for Christmas. We received earlier a great visitor guide packet for Novascotia, but nothing yet from NB, PEI, and NFL. We are headed to Florida next week for three month tour so I'm hoping to have the route planned by the time we return. Still looking for suggestions on where to go and what to see, campgrounds and boondock sites especially. Thanks to all who have contributed thus far.

John

Old 12-26-2014, 05:06 PM   #74
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
London , Ontario
John
We spent two months in Newfoundland in 2013. If you only have 2-3 weeks as vacation do yourself a favour and spend it in NB, NS and PEI. You will not have time to do justice to Newfoundland. It is spectacular if you like nature, small towns, fishing villages and the rural way of life. You need at least one day to cross by ferry, in each direction, you require reservations for this. With a 30 foot rig, 50feet overall, that cost over $700. Its almost 1000 miles across the province which is at least two days steady driving so you have used the best part of a week getting there and back.
Make it a separate trip Be sure to get involved with the locals, go to their "kitchen parties", visit the Royal Canadian Legions and stop in for the church suppers. You will be welcomed with open arms. Boondock anywhere, campgrounds are basic but offer most services. Throw away your cell phones as there are many areas of no service and don't expect too much in the way of wi fi. Tv coverage is also basic although Canadian satellite service is available if you are equipped for it. You must see Gros Morne, Twillingate, St Anthony and L'ans Aux Meadows. Other than that pick any road to explore. You will run across Newfoundland ponies, Newfoundland dogs, both of which are special breeds, icebergs and puffins. Oh yes if you order fish, you get cod. If you want trout, or mackerel you must specify by name. Anyhow its a place like no other and should be on your bucket list. Remember though, it is a LARGE island and like Texas can't be see in a day. Enjoy your trip and the cod tongues.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:19 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Not 1,000 miles, 561 miles from Port au Basque to St. Johns if you stay on the TransCanada Hwy.

Gene
Old 12-28-2014, 09:43 AM   #76
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
Re: "Throw away your cell phones as there are many areas of no service and don't expect too much in the way of wi fi."

We just spent two months in Newfoundland this past summer. Bell Mobility cell service was surprisingly good with very few places with no coverage. I haven't heard anything about Telus but Telus and Bell usual share infrastructure so they may have have good coverage as well.

Rogers on the other hand appears to be the provincial joke. I believe they only cover Corner Brook and parts of the Avalon Peninsula near St. John's.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:49 AM   #77
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
That should read: "but Telus and Bell usually share infrastructure"
Old 12-28-2014, 11:07 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
What benandbb said. We did it it 2008 and one week stretched to two which stretched to three.
If we were to do it again we would set aside at least two months.
We hit all the highlights but one needs to really slow down to take it all in.
Also would spend much more time in PEI. Absolutely beautiful province, and we're from BC.
Happy trails.

George
Old 12-29-2014, 02:30 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
We used Telus in Yukon, BC, and AB when we went to Alaska this past summer and were quite happy with the service. They offer independent plans in the four Atlantic provinces, so we'll go with Telus again.

On a separate note, has anyone camped at Whale Cove which is on the peninsula south of Digby? Is there a good boondock place in that area?

Old 12-29-2014, 02:53 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Haven't camped there - we did the trip to Brier Island as a day trip from Digby - but I see there is a campground at Whale Cove:

http://www.whalecovecampground.com/

I wish you would close this thread soon - our trip this coming summer is to the Gaspe Peninsula but every time I check into your thread and see new suggestions I find myself wanting to change our travel plans ......

Have a great trip.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:14 PM   #81
1 Rivet Member

2013 30' International
Lisbon , New York
We, being my wife, 2-4 dogs and a cat, have been traveling to Newfoundland every summer since 2000, usually for a month, until I retired this past May; this year we left on June 20 and returned to our home in northern NY on September 15. We have a waterfront property in Rocky Harbour, effectively the hub of Gros Morne National Park, and that is from where we base our activities. So my comments are mainly going to focus on our experience. Based on our 30 or so ferry crossings, as early as late may and as late as early November, I would highly recommend making reservations if you plan to cross in July, August, or early September. The short crossing has never been a problem for our pets; we have left them in the tow vehicle as well as in our AS. I have always had a truck with a diesel engine and fuel has never been an issue.
Regarding campgrounds in Gros Morne NP, I highly recommend Lomond, as this is closest to Port au Basques and gives you ready access to the southern portion of the Park, including the villages of Woody Point and Trout River. The Tablelands are not to be missed and there are a number of other spectacular sights in the area, some accessible by car, others requiring hikes of varying degrees of difficulty. Lomond campground, by the way, is on the shores of Bonne Bay; this Bay is well protected and a moderately proficient kayaker is safe here.
After Lomond, I recommend staying at Green Point campground (Green Point itself is a world recognized geologic reference point) about 10 miles or so North of Rocky Harbour. This campground is on a bluff overlooking the Gulf of St. Lawrence; the sites with the best views are at a premium in the summer but if you persist you will be rewarded. From Green Point Campground you have easy driving access to the iconic fjord at Western Brook Pond, to Rocky Harbour, Gros Morne mountain, the village of Cow Head and the beach at Shallow Bay. If you can't get a spot at Green Point, Berry Hill or Shallow Bay campgrounds would do.
As concerns supplies, larger towns like Corner Brook are your best bet for price and variety but I have never gone hungry in Newfoundland and you can find essentials readily.
Lastly, my observation on cycling: we see cyclists of all stripes in the park and a friend of ours, a serious cyclist, is coming with a group this coming summer.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:52 PM   #82
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
My family camped from Louisiana to Newfoundland in 1966. Station wagon, tent, five kids, no interstate. What a grand adventure it was. Camping where my father could find a spot next to a river or a patch of woods. Stayed in Acadia National Park in Maine. The ferry crossing was rough both ways. We stayed with our grandparents that long ago summer who are native Newfoundlanders. We stayed in their basement with a wood stove for cooking and heat on chilly mornings. My grand mother would bring out
the tub washing machine in the yard once a week for laundry, then line drying. No cell phones, computers or TV's. It was an wonderful summer and childhood gift. Hope to go back when I retire. My Grand parents are gone, but many places are still there.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:31 PM   #83
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Please note the campgrounds in Gros Morne National Park are unserviced (no electricity or water). Berry Hill is closest to Rocky Harbour; we checked it and the most of the sites are heavily shaded hence our solar panel would be useless. The Shallow Bay campground is more open but it's located at the northern entrance to the park. A link to a summary of campground facilities follows.

Parks Canada - Gros Morne National Park - Where to Stay

John:

I highly recommend you take a look at Parks Canada Discovery Pass. Parks Canada charges a dual fee: a daily entrance fee and a camping fee if using a campground. We have found the Discovery Pass will pay for itself in less than a week of entering Parks Canada sites. They are also valid a Parks Canada administered historical sites like Fortress Louisbourg or the Citadel in Halifax. The link is below. Note that Parks Canada seems to provide a senior discount (if that applies to you) regardless of nationality.

Parks Canada - Shop and Reserve - Discovery Passes
Old 12-31-2014, 03:22 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
Cyclist, I just looked at that site, thanks much for sending it. Are Provincial parks operated by Parks Canada? Regardless it is a great value, even though I will be just shy of being a senior.