Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #61
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Nice post, Gene. Here's your ferry guy:

Joey Smallwood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #62
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Nice post, Gene. Here's your ferry guy:

Joey Smallwood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Aage,

That's him.

I see the ship was decommissioned in 2011. The Wikipedia entry has a mistake in that it says Newfoundland was a Dominion before 1949. My understanding it was a Dominion (like Canada) before the Great Depression, but the Depression was so devastating that the Dominion was broke and became a Crown Colony until they joined Canada as a province. Now Canada is called a Confederation.

For people not familiar with Canadian nomenclature, the chief executive of provinces and territories are premiers; the chief executive of the country is the prime minister. The national legislature is parliament, not sure on the provinces. I believe the national parliament has a House of Commons and a Senate. Senators are appointed and don't have much power. Districts for Commons are called Ridings. Another chance for Aage to educate me for whatever I got wrong.

My father was born in Canada although he left when he was one. That makes me half Canadian and must account for me liking Canada so much. I think I'm too old to apply for dual citizenship—I'm too late by 53 years. I also like red a lot.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:49 PM   #63
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Gene, I don't believe that there was any change in the title that Newfoundland bore until Confederation. It was a Dominion, IMHO.

However (and perhaps this is what you are referring to), the following quote may clarify the issue for you:
By the 1920s and 1930s, Newfoundland was almost $40 million in debt, and on the verge of economic collapse. A commission recommended that Newfoundland should be "given a rest from party politics" and be administered by a special Commission of Government. Chaired by the governor it would consist of three people from Newfoundland and three from the United Kingdom. Backing the recommendation was the United Kingdom, who agreed to take on Newfoundland's debts. This commission of government began on February 16, 1934, and governed the island until it entered Canada in 1949.
One other point that I would add about how the Canadian political system differs from the US. While in the US there is a separate election for the President, here in Canada, the man or woman who is the head of his or her political party becomes the head of the Federal government (the Prime Minister) if that party commands a simple majority of the elected members.

My apologies for going so far off-topic!
Old 12-14-2014, 04:57 PM   #64
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
My apologies for going so far off-topic!
Talk to a mod about that, but knowing the country you are visiting is important.

I learned about the (perhaps) Crown Colony from information I read when we visited Newfoundland. Maybe it was a de facto Colony. What was interesting was that I didn't know it was independent of Canada for years.

Gene

Old 12-14-2014, 05:48 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Newfoundland has an interesting history regarding its sovereignty, etc.. I'm almost finished with the book "Don't Tell The Newfoundlanders," which describes in detail how they got railroaded into confederation with Canada.

Long story short, and pardon any mis-naming of exact terms...they went into great financial despair during the depression and lost their self-governance, but were supposed to regain their (self) responsible government when they were financially sound.

Then, as they were becoming financially sound, England did not give them back their responsible government, and instead, Canada and England conspired to get them into confederation with Canada.

Canada wanted the natural resources in Labrador. Canada also did not want Newfoundland to join the USA, as some Newfoundlanders wanted to do.

Lots of lying and dealing behind closed doors, and voila...Canada got Newfoundland.

Class over...
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #66
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
No matter where Newfoundland went, it costs the receiving nation money. The US has a lot of states that get much money from the federal government; Canada has some provinces in the same situation.

But, regardless, you can help by spending money there to help out the natives. A fascinating place with the friendliest people in North America. Maybe you can adopt a Newfie. And when you go and then return, you won't often meet other people who have been there.

Gene

Old 12-15-2014, 12:46 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Not only won't you meet any or many people who have been there, you probably won't meet anyone who even knows where it is.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:46 PM   #68
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
Not only won't you meet any or many people who have been there, you probably won't meet anyone who even knows where it is.
And if they do, they've seen it on a map of the Atlantic Provinces where it is in an inset in the corner and looks about the same size as PEI.

Gene

Old 12-16-2014, 07:07 AM   #69
1 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Corner Brook , Newfoundland
I am amused with this fine history and geography lesson. During the thirties most were in the same boat. With the prosperity that comes with offshore oil not to many will have to be adopted as this poor island is suffering about as much as Alberta. Btw Alberta is the second province from the west coast.
Iys.Da.Bye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:51 AM   #70
3 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Halifax , Nova Scotia
I was wondering when someone from "The Great White North" and in particular...the true Eastern Canada (not Montreal as some think) would reply. That being said...this is why we all travel....to see, learn, and enjoy all that is out there!
Gilmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iys.Da.Bye View Post
I am amused with this fine history and geography lesson. During the thirties most were in the same boat. With the prosperity that comes with offshore oil not to many will have to be adopted as this poor island is suffering about as much as Alberta. Btw Alberta is the second province from the west coast.
Are we spewing pretty close to accurate info here??!!
Old 12-16-2014, 10:33 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
Hey folks, as the OP I really hope to keep this thread on message. There has been some great info provided on what to see, where to go, etc in these four provinces. So, please keep those coming, especially great campgrounds/boondock sites on any of the four provinces. Thanks, John
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:47 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
We received a copy of the movieand the book The Shipping News for Christmas. We received earlier a great visitor guide packet for Novascotia, but nothing yet from NB, PEI, and NFL. We are headed to Florida next week for three month tour so I'm hoping to have the route planned by the time we return. Still looking for suggestions on where to go and what to see, campgrounds and boondock sites especially. Thanks to all who have contributed thus far.

John
Old 12-26-2014, 04:06 PM   #74
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
London , Ontario
John
We spent two months in Newfoundland in 2013. If you only have 2-3 weeks as vacation do yourself a favour and spend it in NB, NS and PEI. You will not have time to do justice to Newfoundland. It is spectacular if you like nature, small towns, fishing villages and the rural way of life. You need at least one day to cross by ferry, in each direction, you require reservations for this. With a 30 foot rig, 50feet overall, that cost over $700. Its almost 1000 miles across the province which is at least two days steady driving so you have used the best part of a week getting there and back.
Make it a separate trip Be sure to get involved with the locals, go to their "kitchen parties", visit the Royal Canadian Legions and stop in for the church suppers. You will be welcomed with open arms. Boondock anywhere, campgrounds are basic but offer most services. Throw away your cell phones as there are many areas of no service and don't expect too much in the way of wi fi. Tv coverage is also basic although Canadian satellite service is available if you are equipped for it. You must see Gros Morne, Twillingate, St Anthony and L'ans Aux Meadows. Other than that pick any road to explore. You will run across Newfoundland ponies, Newfoundland dogs, both of which are special breeds, icebergs and puffins. Oh yes if you order fish, you get cod. If you want trout, or mackerel you must specify by name. Anyhow its a place like no other and should be on your bucket list. Remember though, it is a LARGE island and like Texas can't be see in a day. Enjoy your trip and the cod tongues.
Airstream Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 04:19 PM   #75
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Not 1,000 miles, 561 miles from Port au Basque to St. Johns if you stay on the TransCanada Hwy.

Gene

Old 12-28-2014, 08:43 AM   #76
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
Re: "Throw away your cell phones as there are many areas of no service and don't expect too much in the way of wi fi."

We just spent two months in Newfoundland this past summer. Bell Mobility cell service was surprisingly good with very few places with no coverage. I haven't heard anything about Telus but Telus and Bell usual share infrastructure so they may have have good coverage as well.

Rogers on the other hand appears to be the provincial joke. I believe they only cover Corner Brook and parts of the Avalon Peninsula near St. John's.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:49 AM   #77
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
That should read: "but Telus and Bell usually share infrastructure"
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:07 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
What benandbb said. We did it it 2008 and one week stretched to two which stretched to three.
If we were to do it again we would set aside at least two months.
We hit all the highlights but one needs to really slow down to take it all in.
Also would spend much more time in PEI. Absolutely beautiful province, and we're from BC.
Happy trails.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:30 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
We used Telus in Yukon, BC, and AB when we went to Alaska this past summer and were quite happy with the service. They offer independent plans in the four Atlantic provinces, so we'll go with Telus again.

On a separate note, has anyone camped at Whale Cove which is on the peninsula south of Digby? Is there a good boondock place in that area?
Old 12-29-2014, 01:53 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Haven't camped there - we did the trip to Brier Island as a day trip from Digby - but I see there is a campground at Whale Cove:

http://www.whalecovecampground.com/

I wish you would close this thread soon - our trip this coming summer is to the Gaspe Peninsula but every time I check into your thread and see new suggestions I find myself wanting to change our travel plans ......

Have a great trip.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote