Old 11-23-2014, 10:25 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
I have accepted that we will take the 6hr ferry both ways because of our dog. I have contacted the ferry office but have yet to talk to someone other than a recording. Does anyone know if the pet can travel in the trailer or tow vehicle, or just the tow vehicle?

https://instagram.com/silvereagle3100/
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:27 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
I don't think it matters which vehicle, because there were people taking dogs across that had ONLY vehicles, no trailers, including us in our Interstate motorhome, which is, essentially, just a van.

Just be sure to tell them you have a dog in the vehicle, and they'll give you a placard to put in the window, indicating a pet is on board.

I was so worried about my doggies, but they were fine. I think it's more stressful on us people!

weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
Here is my first draft of our timeline. Cross the border at St Stephens on June 1, drive the coast for 8 days and take the bridge to PEI on June 9. We'll spend about 8 days there and take the ferry to Picou NS on June 17. We stay in NS for 30 days and take the 6 hr ferry to Newfoundland on July 17. We have allotted six weeks in NFL and will take the same 6 hr ferry back to NS on Aug 28. We'll take the same route back through NB, taking 11 days and arriving at Acadia NP on Sep 10.

Time allotted sound ok?

Old 12-01-2014, 04:39 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Only a couple of things to add.
  • No matter where you find yourself check into local festivals/theatre - there is lots of culture out there and it's best enjoyed in community events.
  • Roads through the south/central area of Nova Scotia are (were) atrocious - it's been a while since we were there so presumably they've done some work since - but if not ....
  • really consider both ferries when going to and from Newfoundland - saves backtracking and wasted time - but further consider getting a cabin for the longer ride - this will mean reserving farther in advance.
  • consider whale watching from Brier Island in Nova Scotia - takes a number of short little ferry runs to get there - but a neat trip that gets you up close and personal to another way of life.
  • Twillingate = Icebergs - but don't leave it too late in the season.
  • St. John's and Corner Brook are places you will want to visit in Newfoundland - but the heart and soul of that Province is found in it's small coastal towns and villages.
Have a great trip.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:33 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

O'Fallon , Missouri
We are planning to go on the early caravan 2015 May-June. We have bikes and I generally take them with us unless there is little possibility they can be used. Would it be worth while to haul them up there?
Old 12-01-2014, 05:39 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
Jay, the reason for the same ferry is our dog, he can handle the short one. I know of a couple festivals,but if you have links/info on others please let me know. I wanted to do the Iceberg festival but it is 5-7 June, a little to early.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:03 PM   #35
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
Mahone Bay, Lunenburg.

The Ovens. You can stay at the Ovens Natural Park Campground. Awesome campground. Some sites are on the water, all the sites are quite nice. Great little restaurant on site with live music at night.

Peggy's Cove...extremely touristy....but...very beautiful. Stop at the memorial for Swissair Flight 111 (sept 2, 1998 crash site off-shore). It's very beautiful and touching.

Halifax is a fun city! We did the amphibious Harbour Hopper boat tour. If you like beer, go to Garrison Brewery, down by the boat terminal on the waterfront. Great brewery...good beers and super nice bartender. You can also tour the Alexander Keith Brewery. There's also a good music scene in the evenings at the restaurants. We stayed at Shubie Park RV Park, about 20 minutes drive from Halifax. Hands down, nicest bathrooms and showers of any campground anywhere! It's adjacent to a big walking trail system. And the trails allow off-leash doggies.

In Cape Breton, if you're into music, stop in Judique at the Celtic Music Interpretive Center. In Mabou, eat at the Red Shoe Pub. Fantastic food, and local music in the evening.

Inverness Campground...it's on the bluff above beach. Walk down to beach, enjoy sunset. Beautiful!

Possibly the highlight of Nova Scotia, for us, was Meat Cove. Spectacular!!

Your comments are spot on in every case and you have proven yourself to be a dedicated Airstreamer since very few have ventured to Meat Cove. We were entertained by a braying wild horse on the wild, moonlit, night during our stay there a few years ago. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 12-01-2014, 06:55 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
I copied this from my earlier post....hoping to keep this on track.

Here is my first draft of our timeline. Cross the border at St Stephens on June 1, drive the coast for 8 days and take the bridge to PEI on June 9. We'll spend about 8 days there and take the ferry to Picou NS on June 17. We stay in NS for 30 days and take the 6 hr ferry to Newfoundland on July 17. We have allotted six weeks in NFL and will take the same 6 hr ferry back to NS on Aug 28. We'll take the same route back through NB, taking 11 days and arriving at Acadia NP on Sep 10.

Time allotted sound ok?

Old 12-01-2014, 06:59 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEagle6 View Post
Jay, the reason for the same ferry is our dog, he can handle the short one. I know of a couple festivals,but if you have links/info on others please let me know. I wanted to do the Iceberg festival but it is 5-7 June, a little to early.
The festivals/theatre that come immediately to mind include:
  • Weekend horse pull at a historical village east of Charlottown, PEI
  • Gaelic College Ceilidh's near Baddeck, NS
  • Cow Head Dinner Theatre in Gross Morne
  • Terra Nova Folk Festival
We also enjoyed historical re-enactments, music, mini-plays in a number of parks.

None of these were researched or planned in advance - we lucked into them simply by asking.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
SilverEagle:

Given the amount of time you will be spending in the Atlantic provinces, you should look into Parks Canada Discovery Pass. Parks Canada charges admission to parks (and historic site like Louisbourg) apart from camping fees. The pass will quickly pay for itself - I expect within less than a week of camping in a national park. The family rate is $136.40.

We have bought our passes in the past at the gate of the park or site.

Parks Canada - Shop and Reserve - Discovery Passes
Old 12-01-2014, 07:06 PM   #39
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
A gentleman working at Shubie Park in Dartmouth has been working on this Airstream for the Shubie Park owner for years. Getting close he says. I'm not so sure. I think he likes puttering too much to complete it. JimClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1417482083.054210.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	678.6 KB
ID:	227869Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1417482105.042973.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	430.4 KB
ID:	227870Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1417482146.733361.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	520.6 KB
ID:	227871

Old 12-01-2014, 07:29 PM   #40
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Saint Andrews (Kiwanis Ocean Front Campground) is about Half an hour from the border crossing at St Stephen and is one of Atlantic Canada's most picturesque towns. 10 minute walk to the center of the village. Great place to set the tone for your trip. Google Pansy Patch St Andrews for a peak at some local architecture. Jim

Old 12-01-2014, 09:03 PM   #41
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
So much to do in the Atlantic Provinces, it's hard to imagine what might be the best way to do it. Of course, reading up all the available literature both printed on paper and published on the web will help you to make an itinerary in tune with your own interests.

My wife and I managed to spend over a week there, without going to Newfoundland or Labrador.

I would only venture two comments: if you go anywhere near Baddeck (and no trip would be anywhere near complete without seeing that beautiful area) be sure to drop in to the Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site. Bell was brilliant, a Renaissance man across many fields, and his home deserves a good long visit. It was no accident that it has been a National Historic Site since 1952.

My second point is to be sure to do it in the best part of the summer. It does not have a "friendly" fall or winter, from a weather point of view..
Old 12-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
I made my timeline a little easier to read, hoping to get feedback on whether too much or too little time in tha varoius areas:
Cross the border at St Stephens on June 1.
Drive the coast for 8 days and take the bridge to PEI on June 9.
Spend about 8 days on PEI and take the ferry to Picou NS on June 17.
We stay in NS for 30 days and take the 6 hr ferry to Newfoundland on July 17.
Six weeks in NFL and will take the same 6 hr ferry back to NS on Aug 28.
We'll take the same route back through NB, taking 11 days and arriving at Acadia NP on Sep 10.

Just wanting to see from you experienced travelers up there if this timeline makes sense.

John