Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2015, 11:04 AM   #441
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
DMT, Is a "kitchen party" the same as a Tupperware party?

I am fairly confident it will all look more doable soon and even now sore bodies are healed and memories of exhaustion fade. I'll be doing another rough travel plan soon with stops where required and get a better idea how to make it as pain free as possible. Like any adventure, it has challenges. I have many trips floating around in my head and one is another Alaska/northern Canada trip after next year—I want to get to Nunavut because then we will have travelled to all provinces and territories, there are places in Yukon and the northern parts of some provinces we haven't been. I think we've been on just about every major and many minor Alaska highways after 3 trips there, so wed visit the places we liked the best (maybe that's all of it). As for NF, there are many peninsulas we never got to, so that will be the focus, and some Labrador also. Last time we left so early a lot of things were closed, but we like to travel in the shoulder seasons because it is quieter—in NF, the season is short, so we have to figure that out—and not get caught in snowstorms (last time there was a big storm a few days before we got to the eastern part of NF and a strike by the snowplow drivers—most had melted and the bosses did a fair job of plowing by the time we got to the area).

My impression is that in the RV world, Alaska is the big destination for many and maybe for Airstreamers, even more so. We certainly have seen a lot of Airstreams on the way and in the north. We are closer to Alaska, but all the people in the east seem to head other directions. NF is just as far and just as different as Alaska, but does not attract nearly the attention. There were a few Airstreamers there this past summer and maybe more we never hear about.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:41 AM   #442
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
There were two AS caravans in NL this past summer. I know of 7 independent AS travellers, one from MA, 3 from Quebec, 1 from Ontario, 1 from British Columbia, and us. We camped next to a couple from Corner Brook and passed DMT on the road.
I think the ferry puts many folks off and horror stories about the roads does not help. As i tried to post in this thread, the roads were decent, a few rough ones. The TCH was in great shape as well as most of the secondary roads. The absolute worst road was in Twillingate...downtown and out to Peyton's Woods CG. They were paving the road out of town when we were there. We spent four months in/out of Alaska, Yukon, AB, BC last summer. Alaska and western Canada are fantastic and AK truly is the frontier. Newfoundland is beautiful, fantastic people and for us a cultural and historic marvel.

So Gene, get your thigh master out, and head back to NL.

John
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:56 PM   #443
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
John,

Thigh master? Do they still make those?

The roads in NF (and NS too) were pretty bad in a lot of places in '04. The TCH was fine, but a lot of side roads were very bumpy, so I'm glad to hear they are better. The ferry we took was the Joey Smallwood (named after the province's first premier) and it held 5,000 people, though there were not close to that many aboard when we went in the spring. The crossing was smooth, although it is easy to find people with horror stories about storms and ferries anywhere. That ship has been retired.

I didn't know so many Airstreamers traveled there this year. Newfoundland is a little place on the corner of a map that most never think of visiting, but when you get a better map or visit, you find out how big it is. I don't think we could stay away from home for as long as you did, but 2 months sounds about right to us. We did an eight week trip to Alaska in 2010 and came home still friends. Although Europeans have been visiting NF for more than 1,000 years, it still feels like a kind of frontier. I could leave now, but I'd be alone.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:28 PM   #444
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Gene,

Definitely not a Tupperware party. A good friend of mine owns the brewery in Quidi Vidi and they have a kitchen party every Friday after work. The food comes from Mallard Cottage just up the lane (I'm told it won best new restaurant in Canada). Like any kitchen party at a friend's or neighbor's you just drop in. No charge except for the beer you drink. Always a great time. I'd be happy to take you.

Don

http://destinationstjohns.com/event/...-party-friday/

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-10-2015, 05:49 PM   #445
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
I'll second the Quidi Vidi kitchen party. We went last summer and had one hell of a good time.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:24 PM   #446
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Hi,
I wanted to resurrect this thread as we are planning to spend this summer in Eastern Canada. Having followed this discussion since 2014 and never before traveled to Canada, I am looking forward to enjoying the adventure. The previous Airforum members trip logs and tips will help guide our travels but I'm sure I will have many additional questions.
We most often travel without advance reservations and hopefully we can spend several months this summer exploring leisurely through the Maritime provinces, NS, NB and PEI.
Looking forward to more ideas & tips!
Thanks in advance,
FCloud9
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:23 AM   #447
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Start by emailing each of the Maritimes Travel Departments and request a vacation guide for each Province.
These guides will give you pertinent information on points of interest, restaurants, campsites, hookups, rates.
We left Cape Cod in mid July, 2015 and returned to the US Oct 15th.
3 months of exploration of PEI, NOVA SCOTIA, CAPE BRETON and partial visit to New Brunswick.
The Canadian Maritimes people are very warm, friendly and helpful.
Don't pull your AS around the Cabot Trail!
Annie and Bob Beggan
(Tan Son Nhut)
Tan Son Nhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:04 AM   #448
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Powell , Ohio
We are also going that way.

Are general plan is to leave OH around June 15 and travel directly to Newfoundland. We will be going up through the use and crossing into CA from Maine. We expect to spend 6 weeks on Newfoundland as this is likely to be a once in a life time visit. During the return if we feel like it we will visit the rest of the eastern provinces.

It would be great if our paths crossed sometime.
tbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:19 AM   #449
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Went to Newfoundland on the ferry a couple of years ago. I would get a reservation for the ferry both up and back. We saw commercial trucks that had waited in line 3 days to get on the ferry. Space is limited and that is the one thing I would make firm reservations for.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:28 PM   #450
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Second the advice of Bill M. Ironically our vacation this summer will be to the north eastern US.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:31 AM   #451
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Powell , Ohio
We are currently in Newfoundland at St Anthony. Would be great to meet any other folks that are here. We will be here for another month. You can follow us at silverburrito2017.blogspot.com
Old 07-11-2017, 03:00 PM   #452
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Trip planning to Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, NB

Our plans changed and we are now scheduled to be on the west coast and Gros Morne in two weeks. Currently doing some cosmetic maintenance on the AS but expect she will be ready to roll in time. Maybe we will cross paths? Pm me if you have any questions.

Don
Old 07-15-2017, 03:57 PM   #453
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Powell , Ohio
We are currently in Labrador and have seen a bunch of whales
Old 08-01-2017, 04:10 AM   #454
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Powell , Ohio
On our way to Cape St Mary's to see the birds.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:54 AM   #455
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaugh View Post
On our way to Cape St Mary's to see the birds.
We were there three years ago; an amazing sight not to be missed.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:59 PM   #456
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Powell , Ohio
We are currently in Newfoundland since July 2 and have another week. Taking the ferry back on the 16th. Fuel is not a problem at all as long as you don't call it to close. We found that nearly all the little towns had a station including Diesel. Most of the roads have potholes. The TCH is mostly very good. We have driven a number of gravel roads, some of which were better than some of the paved ones.

Pets must remain in the vehicle I believe. We do not have any.

The Provincial parks are generally very nice but some spaces can be very tight to maneuver into. I can attest with a dent in the back of our trailer. I had made the reservation online but that does not locate all the obstetrical that can be in your way.

We ended up staying in regular campgrounds most of the time.

You can follow our trip at Silverburrito2017.blogspot.com.

Feel free to PM any specific questions.