Old 07-01-2015, 06:19 PM   #197
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Oak Ridge , North Carolina
Questions about campgrounds in Nova Scotia and PEI

We would appreciate any suggestions for campgrounds in Halifax, Digby, NS and Charlottetown, PEI?

Thanks!

Old 07-01-2015, 06:42 PM   #198
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
In Halifax, there are many small campgrouds not listed anywhere, saw some of them in a drive by, looked ok, but that is all I can say. Otherwise there are two, Woodhaven which is in Harmony Hills and the same size of the bay as Halifax. Shubie Campground is across the bay in Dartmouth, next to Shubie Park. We chose Shibie as we were leaving early morning and do not want to deal with traffic. With either park, you have to decide how to get into Halifax. We chose to use the bus and ferry and it worked out great, very easy. Shubie has some very challenging sites, for leveling and getting in an out. Once in, a very nice campground and we were very pleased.

In Digby, we camped at Digby Campground and I would not go back. There is a campground on the hill before you come into Digby and if I ever go back, that is where we would stay. Honestly, Digby is a day visit for us. About 25 miles south is Whale Cove Campground. 20 amp sites are level, 30 amp will take some leveling. Tina, is a great hostess, she made up a little tour guide of the area that is quite good. She will also provide you a lobster pot to cook your own lobster. You are close to Brier Island and Long Island, great hiking, whale watching etc.
Do not by pass up Lunenburg/Mahone Bay. We camped at Little Lake in Lunenburg and RayPort in Chester/ Mahone Bay. If we have a do over, we would stay in one spot, RayPort is more scenic is you get on the river.

Will be going to PEI after NL and Cape Breton, so can't help you there.

Have fun.

https://instagram.com/silvereagle3100/
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:54 AM   #199
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Glad you enjoyed the Tattoo and Halifax. We look forward to the reports from Newfoundland. Travel safe!
TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:52 PM   #200
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It looks like you had no problem changing the ferry reservation and there were spaces available. How much does the ferry cost?

Seems like the roads in NS are better than when we were there 10+ years ago. Newfoundland's roads were worse with the exception of the TCH. I hope they're better now.

Gene
Old 07-04-2015, 05:15 AM   #201
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
I reserved us with the ferry at 49 feet in length. Total cost round trip with no reserved seating (short ferry) was about $783 CA and what was charged to our visa was about $640 US.

The TCH up to Springdale has been great. We have travelled up some secondary roads and they are pretty good. We have explored some roads into small coastal towns, such as Rattling Brook, where I would not take the trailer, very narrow in spots and lots of pot holes.....saw the same thing in NS, NB, QE. To be fair, I-40 is just as bad in TN, AR, and NC, only wider!!!

Old 07-04-2015, 07:10 AM   #202
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
We were heading west yesterday on the TCH after a week at Terra Nova National Park. Kept a lookout for another Airstream (rare in these parts) as I thought you might be passing through. Enjoy your stay here. Should be plenty of icebergs up Lewisport or Twillingate way if you at so inclined. Kids up that way will often sell bags of iceberg ice - great stuff in a drink as the ice fizzes. From your posts your itinerary looks well researched but if you have any questions let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 07-04-2015, 07:41 AM   #203
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
Au Train , Michigan
Hey Silver Eagle and DMT - we're heading up to PEI and then NS in about two weeks! We only have two weeks and are coming in from Upper Michigan.

Planning on visiting PEI National Park then on to Cape Breton National Park, then down to Fort Louisbourg National Historic Site.

I've tried reading through the whole thread... I'm a little bleary eyed doing so!

If I'm reading this right, there are a lot of campgrounds that are not listed and there is availability. I'm hoping I don't have to make in-advance reservations for overnight stays "along the way". Your thoughts?

There is no way I'm making Newfoundland... I can only get away from work of rip to 17 day increments.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:58 AM   #204
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Silver', thanks for info on ferry fares. For a 46' rig, we are paying round trip of about $480 US to go to Vancouver Is. from Pt. Angeles, Wash. At that rate, going to Newfoundland would cost $1,500-2,000. Newfoundland subsidizes the ferry, BC does not. Next year we may go to Newfoundland and I hope to remember the proper abbreviation for the province because I am tired of typing out the whole word.

Glad to hear the roads have improved. We had a lot of bumpy and hilly roads and while with only an SUV they were tolerable, with a trailer, they would have been a chore. And, yes, a lot of US highways are in worse shape.

Gene
Old 07-04-2015, 03:28 PM   #205
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
DMT, we are in King's Point until tomorrow then Twillingate for a couple days. We'll also check out Lewisporte. We were kayaking at Nicky's Nose Cove and were near several icebergs. Will post some pics later.

We are working our way to St John's where we have our only reservations...Pippy Park from 15-20 July. I have a badly cracked windshield that needs to be replaced. Hope to do that the Ford dealer in Gander this next week. Hope to get to the Bonavista area before St John's. If not, will catch it after we leave the Avalon Peninsula. If you are near any of those areas, let me know, I'll by you a round of Screech!!!

Old 07-04-2015, 05:16 PM   #206
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
Hiawatha,

We are doing Cape Breton and PEI after we leave Newfoundland in early September, so best I can offer you is plan your route, if going to popular areas, call and see if they have availability when you want it. July and August are peak season.

Old 07-04-2015, 05:56 PM   #207
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Silver', be sure to go to the bird sanctuary near St. Mary's. Fascinating place with a gazillion birds including the ones that twist their necks around each other. I wish I could remember the name of it, but it is on the Avalon Pen., I think.

The part of St. Johns around the harbor is very cool. I recall a good Chinese restaurant at the harbor. And south of St. John's is a place that is closest to Europe. There are WW II bunkers there that bring you back 70 years.

Since you are from N. Car., I'll tell you this story: We were in a store looking at sweaters in St. John's and the saleswoman asked me where we were from. We told her "Colorado" and she asked if that was next to N. Car.? She was only 2,000 miles off. Newfoundland is a great place to buy sweaters—I got one in St. John's and one in Stephensville from a sewing co-op downtown. Great sweaters, perhaps too warm for N. Car., and reasonably priced too.

If I were there right now, I'd pass on the screech and seal flipper pie too. We've seen bologna on the menu as part of mixed grill. I'm not sure why such nice people love bologna so much. My mother used to make me bologna sandwiches for lunch every day when I was in grammar school and I learned to hate it.

Gene
Old 07-04-2015, 10:55 PM   #208
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
"Silver', be sure to go to the bird sanctuary near St. Mary's. Fascinating place with a gazillion birds including the ones that twist their necks around each other. I wish I could remember the name of it, but it is on the Avalon Pen., I think. "

Cape St. Mary's which is about an hour south of Placentia. Don't take the trailer as the road is awful even by Newfoundland standards. We were there last Labour Day by which time only the northern gannets were left - these are the birds where the males and females do the neck hug ( I got a great photo of one pair). I believe there are around 10,000 nesting gannets pairs and equal numbers of mures and kittiwakes in season. It truly is an amazing spectacle where you can get within a hundred feet or so of the "bird rock".

When in St. John's try to check out Quidi Vidi and the brewery by the same name (quidividibrewery.ca¬*|¬* About Us). They had a Friday night "kitchen party" at the brewery with great music and beer (get there early - by 5:30 for a good seat).

The Anglican cathedral in St. John's (Anglican Cathedral of St. John the Baptist) had a wonderful organ recital during the week - Wednesday if my memory is correct.

You can also drop by the Crow's Nest Club (The Crow's Nest) in downtown St. John's for a beer. It's a private club but they welcome visitors. I like the periscope from a U-Boat mounted beside the bar.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:49 AM   #209
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
We were planning to camp near St Catherine's, just west of the Avalon Nature Preserve, then drive the two peninsulas. I also want to go Admirals Beach and kayak.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:28 PM   #210
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Cyclist, thanks for clarifying the location of the bird reserve. I have to go back someday because I can't find the photos I took there. Since I don't have a dog, I assume the computer ate them.

I don't recall the road being that bad, but we had a very comfy SUV and no trailer then. We were there early in the year—June—and all the birds were there and one other person. We could walk onto the rock towering over the ocean (kind of scary) and be within feet of the birds.

Gene