Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2015, 11:30 AM   #221
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It is pronounced "bolonie" where I grew up in NYC too. Not matter how pronounced, I can't stand it. Some people here in Colorado eat "rocky mountain oysters"—not oysters, and not necessary associated with any mountains. I wouldn't eat them either. I'll try to get used to "NL" [National League to me] though "NFLD" seems more accurate. In the US the Post Office decided to change state abbreviations years ago, but they are not the ones I learned as a child and refuse to unlearn. To me I live in "Colo." and not "CO".

Enjoying the trip. I can't understand why you can't post more than one photo. When I started posting photos, it felt awkward, but I finally got the hang of it. When I have had bad wifi, it will not post any photos until everyone gets off the system, usually in the middle of the night or day. Maybe you are right about that and only one will load.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:48 AM   #222
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
We are currently in Brigus. All of a sudden, traffic is much heavier, campgrounds are packed, and the weather has turned quite chilly. For the past five nights, lows were in the upper 40's and days were in the upper 50's, little sun, lots of wind.mwe have not been able to kayak....I'm becoming a fair weather paddler!
We had a great time in Bonavista, drove all of the coast down through English Harbour, Trinity, Dunfield, and Old and New Bonaventure. One favorite spot was at the Fort Point Lighthouse. We did a little bit of hiking then I noticed something in the water, turned out to be whales "blowing". Must have been 10-15 of them, never saw a breach, just an occasional tail. There is lots to see and do, Bonavista is a great place to spend a few days.
We were at Paradise Farm Campgrounds, elec/water! no wifi. Very comfortable place to camp.
I have been trying to post pictures, but the very slow wifi task my patience, hope to catch up someday.
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:23 AM   #223
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
We drove over to Dildo, then followed the coastline up to Old pelican then back to Brigus. I am not a museum guy but I completely enjoyed our stop at Heart's Content while spending some time at the Cable Station provincial historic site. This small port has a deep Harbour that could handle the gigantic "Great Eastern" ship that brought the telegraph cable across the Atlantic from Valentia Ireland. Great story and the equipment was very interesting. I was very interested in the wood working of the cabinets etc.

Speaking of wood, we stopped in Winterton and spent a couple hours at the NL Wooden Boat Museum. We opted for the guided tour and glad we did. The young man was quite knowledgeable and entertaining. Well worth the time.

As we concluded the tour, the guide ask if we had experienced a conversation with a real Newfoundlander...I ask him where he was from, he laughed and explained he had to speak plain to tourist. I ask for a demo, he grabbed one of the other young men and they let it rip. I wish I had recorded it! I caught maybe 15% of the words.

We saw three or more icebergs near Western Bay. The coastline along this tour was spectacular. If you drive it, don't miss the mouse hole!
Old 07-15-2015, 08:34 AM   #224
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Oak Ridge , North Carolina
We are planning to travel from Campobello to Alma with our 25 footer. Any suggestions out routes, ferries, whatever would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Ray and Carol
bluecornstal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:03 AM   #225
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
Gene: We didn't tow but left the trailer in Argentia. The road had a lot of potholes with OK pavement in between. Lucky there was little traffic so I could weave around the holes. It's certainly worth the drive - preferable early in the season when all the birds are present.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:10 AM   #226
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You may have to think this one a bit.

You can get to Campobello from Lubec Maine by bridge but the ferry to Deer Island NB will not hold the trailer. This would be a long return to head north.

I would go into BN to St Andrews and take the ferry to Deer Island and camp on the island and then take the smaller ferry, car only, to Campobello

I would suggest crossing into Canada via international Ave which is 2 miles short of Calais Maine. It is a local crossing and a bit more friendly.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:11 AM   #227
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEagle6 View Post

As we concluded the tour, the guide ask if we had experienced a conversation with a real Newfoundlander...I ask him where he was from, he laughed and explained he had to speak plain to tourist. I ask for a demo, he grabbed one of the other young men and they let it rip. I wish I had recorded it! I caught maybe 15% of the words.
John: If you were impressed by the accent here is a further sample:

Old 07-15-2015, 03:34 PM   #228
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
Cyclist,

That was great..we are now in St John's and the accents are almost surreal!!!

We are going to drive the Irish Loop and are having a tough time making a decision. We can drive with trailer to one of two campgrounds in between the two southern peninsulas and take a day each to drive them. Some folks have said the five to Trepassey is good, then 15 miles of bad, then ok again back up to Colinet. The western peninsula down to Cape St Mary's is an ok road, but the curves and grade make it a tough pull. Any advice from you guys is greatly appreciated.

We are also looking for advice on driving with trailer down to the Burin Peninsula.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:57 PM   #229
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
SilverEagle6 , you have succumbed to the lilt, and I likes it. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 07-16-2015, 02:36 PM   #230
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Quote:
Cyclist,

The western peninsula down to Cape St Mary's is an ok road, but the curves and grade make it a tough pull. Any advice from you guys is greatly appreciated.
John:

We left the trailer at the campground in Argentia and did a day trip to Cape St. Mary's. It's a nice trip in good weather and takes about an hour. The road into the Ecological Preserve from the highway is about 13 km. as I recall; it's fairly narrow with good pavement. Look out for sheep on this road.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:25 PM   #231
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Quote:
Cyclist,

We are going to drive the Irish Loop and are having a tough time making a decision. ......

We are also looking for advice on driving with trailer down to the Burin Peninsula.

The Burin Peninsula highway is in better condition than the roads on the Irish Loop. It's a long day trip if you do the Irish Loop in one day. I think you should be fine with the AS. Just take your time.

Think I saw your truck parked on Water Street a day or two ago. Have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 07-17-2015, 04:13 PM   #232
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
DMT,

My truck.

Sent you a PM a couple days ago. We leave St John's Monday AM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	353.7 KB
ID:	243201  
Old 07-18-2015, 05:02 AM   #233
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
SE6 I didn't get a PM, or maybe I don't know how to access one. In any event here I am. If you are heading "up the shore" (the local term for taking the Irish Loop to the Southern Shore) today or tomorrow you might try kayaking in Cape Broyle. I understand it is very popular as the bay offers some protection from the North Atlantic. The folks at the Outfitters on Water Street run kayak tours from there, and can likely offer some tips on what to see when kayaking, either there or elsewhere.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:32 PM   #234
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
We have had a fabulous week in St John's. Pippy Park Campground is a great place to stay.....Please note, Loop 4 is the only place you can receive wifi...possibly some of the sites on the fringes. Well worth the $5 additional.

Went to Cape Spear, Signal Hill and hiked the North Head trail and saw a Military Tattoo about the First Newfoundlander Regiment and its history from War of 1812 through WWI. I doubt anyone in that troop that put on the tattoo was over 21.... They did a great job and honored the Regiment. Visited The Rooms, George Street, had a great meal at Birdie Molloy's and super happy hour at The Crows Nest. Got some road side poutine, saw the capelin rolling, and discovered more Irish Whiskey, almost every night. Found another hidden gem near Port Kirwan. While walkin the trail along the East Coast Trail, we can across a small cabin over looking a bay and the ocean. The owner, Mary, invited us on to her deck and we spent the next hour enjoying her stories. What a magnificent view, and great hostess.

NOTE: If you don't own a dog, get one....Jake has gotten us invited into more terrific places than you can imagine.
More to follow....
Old 07-19-2015, 06:18 PM   #235
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Glad to hear that. The temperature may be chilly but at least the hospitality is warm! Agree with your comment on the dog. I'm sure Jake would get along marvelously with Maggie, our 2 year old Lab.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:57 AM   #236
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
You are absolutely right about the hospitality, people here are fantastic.

We do most of the things that folks on the forums suggested. A couple to add, the Railroad Museum and hiking around Torbay Junction...a connector to the East Coast Trail. I had my boots repaired at a local cobbler on Duckworth, had to replace my windshield on our TV, had a oil change and tire rotation at a local Ford dealer, while there my original tires registered below the safety head margin. A local tire show worked through Michelin USA and we got a great deal on new MS/2's.

Just can't say enough good things about St John's, and for that matter, our entire trip.

Today we leave and are heading to The Wilds where we will park for a few days while we explore the Irish Loop....taking your advice Cyclist!
Old 07-20-2015, 06:43 AM   #237
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
Campground Note at Pippy Park....

Forgot to mention that in Loop 4, all the sites are 50 amp. That is what we were told and also our experience.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:03 AM   #238
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
You are absolutely right about the hospitality, people here are fantastic.
Yes! Canadians are friendly, but Newfoundlanders are extraordinarily friendly.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:12 PM   #239
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecornstal View Post
We are planning to travel from Campobello to Alma with our 25 footer. Any suggestions out routes, ferries, whatever would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Ray and Carol
Caution on the ferries in that area....due to the big tidal swings, you have to be careful about when you chose to go, or you could be scraping bottom getting on and off (especially the tiny ferry from Campabello to Deer Island...ugh...wouldn't do that again in our low clearance Interstate).

Otherwise...I am loving this thread!!! I want to go back to NL!!!!!
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:20 PM   #240
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
We drove halfway around the Irish Loop the other day, the eastern side and last night we arrived at the Wilds, a golf re sport with an rv campground. We arrived in time to visit the Salmontier Nature Park, maybe a 2 mile walk on their Boardwalk. Also had time to visit Father Duffy's healing well spring....hope,it works!

Today endorse the western side of the loop. Stopped at St Vincent's beach for whale watching. The caplins were rolling and the whales were right off shore...in some cases 25 feet away...and these were large hump backs, saw maybe 25-30 in the two hours we were watching along the 3/4 mile beach. We then headed to Cape Race to see the light house and the wireless station that received the Titanic distress call. Great exhibits. Along the 20 KM gravel road to Cape Race, the scenery is great and there are historical markers along the way, depicting life in past times.
We also drove out to Cape pine to see that light house and the wind was howling, with very high seas.

Stopped again at St Vinvents and spent another couple hours whale watching, again not disappointed.,Who needs a boat?

Another great day. tomorrow to Cape St Mary's.