Old 04-23-2015, 10:01 PM   #127
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Dave, Newfoundland is big and sparsely populated inland, but it isn't like northern Canada (which isn't really all that bad) or crossing Nevada on US 50. There are plenty of services. If you run into trouble, the people are so nice you will always find help.

But moose are another thing. They blend in at dawn and dusk, they don't always see you, they're big and will come right through your windshield causing serious issues for you. There are as many moose as people in Newfoundland and the moose' only predator is the motor vehicle. Watch carefully. They may not want to move off the road. They also have an attitude problem, so keep your distance.

Gene

Old 04-23-2015, 11:55 PM   #128
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
Dave:

The only campground I'm familiar with of the three you mentioned is Berry Hill located near Rocky Harbour. It's unserviced (no electricity) and located in dense forest common to that area of Newfoundland. The sites appear cut out of the bush and were mostly heavily shaded so solar is useless.

I haven't visited Cheeseman but friends have and they said it was quite nice. I haven't visited the Trout River campground so no opinion. The village of Trout River was interesting and the Tablelands (which you will pass on your way to Trout River) are a must see.

I didn't bring my bike (I mostly road bike) but I didn't see many mountain bike opportunities. There are many excellent hiking trails though.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:54 AM   #129
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
Generator use in the Atlantic provinces. I have been researching whether or not you can use a generator in the provincial and national parks, We dry camp as much as possible as we don't like to make reservations and feel confident that we will find campsites readily available without hook ups.

Is it safe to assume ( always hate to say that) you can use generators except during quiet hours? We primarily rely on solar, but always like a backup.

https://instagram.com/silvereagle3100/
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:12 AM   #130
2 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Gene and Cyclist,
Thanks for your replies. These things are really good to know…
Re CG's: We'll be in Berry Hill for at least a week - good to know Rocky Harbour is nearby.
Re moose: I hadn't thought about moose at dawn, so I'm forewarned.
Also, is it true that mating season is the most dangerous time for both moose and deer?That the males pick up the female scent and follow their noses regardless of what's in their way?

Thanks again,
Dave
Old 04-24-2015, 10:34 AM   #131
2 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEagle6 View Post
Generator use in the Atlantic provinces. I have been researching whether or not you can use a generator in the provincial and national parks, We dry camp as much as possible as we don't like to make reservations and feel confident that we will find campsites readily available without hook ups.

Is it safe to assume ( always hate to say that) you can use generators except during quiet hours? We primarily rely on solar, but always like a backup.
Every place we've made reservations(state, provincial and national)allow generator use for a few hours in the AM and PM.
I'd love to have a solar set up, but that seems complicated at this point(electrical stuff is not my strong suit). So for now we've only got gens.
Dave
Old 04-24-2015, 10:37 AM   #132
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
Dave, I just sent you a pm

Old 04-24-2015, 10:45 AM   #133
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
J.T. Cheesman is the closest park to the ferry. It's a good place to stay your first night when you get off the ferry, as well as to stay at the night before you get back on the ferry to leave NL.

We stayed at Trout River Campground. Also a nice campground. No hook ups.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:20 PM   #134
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Dave, I don't know about moose, but mule deer get really stupid when it is rutting time. Kind of reminds me of myself years ago. Once a year will give you lots of time to think about it. More complicated thinking is, however, not any ungulates' strong suit. Rut for mule deer and elk is in the early fall. Gestation is long enough so they give birth in spring. I suspect as a cousin, moose are similar.

Mule deer and elk do not really understand the motor vehicle. One night I was driving about 5 mph in a snow storm and a deer almost walked into the SUV. I missed her by inches. Big metal things that move fast are so far out of their frame of reference, they don't seem to see them, especially during rut. They have poor eyesight as well.

There are stories about male elk attacking humans during rutting season even if the human wasn't interested in the females. Elk usually leave you alone and move away when you show up, so any attack is pretty rare.

But deer and elk are herd animals. If you see one by the road, there will be others, so keep watching. But moose are solitary and there's no warning. They walk out of the bushes or trees, usually with a sort of arrogant confidence, saunter across the road and disappear back in the forest in seconds. They are not predators, but if they feel endangered, they can do a lot of damage kicking with those very long legs. Big predators usually leave them alone and but if Newfoundland had wolves, the moose population would drop quite a bit.

Gene
Old 04-28-2015, 08:31 AM   #135
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Moose are nasty in the spring as well because of the black flies. They try to find open areas with wind to alleviate their torment from swarms of biting insects. A road is an open area with wind right? In the spring they may want to be on the road just as much as we do.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:14 PM   #136
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
Any of you guys who drive up there have any bumper guards, brush guards, or whatever?

I don't plan on towing at night and only driving at night will be returning from dinner. I know dusk/dawn are likely the greatest chance of encounter.

Not sure one of those guards would help much with regards to long legged moose?

Old 04-28-2015, 05:20 PM   #137
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Most of the big trucks have huge guards made from 2 to 3 inch diameter pipe, sometimes chromed. The store bought brush guards for half to one tons may provide some protection but mostly serve to help launch the beast into the windshield. The best protection is a camping spot once it gets dark. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 04-29-2015, 10:55 AM   #138
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
Most of the big trucks have huge guards made from 2 to 3 inch diameter pipe, sometimes chromed. The store bought brush guards for half to one tons may provide some protection but mostly serve to help launch the beast into the windshield. The best protection is a camping spot once it gets dark. Jim
All too true. Also moose have disproportionately long legs. Most vehicles break the legs and the rest of the moose slides over the hood and through the window.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:40 PM   #139
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
An armored personnel carrier would help and have plenty of power to tow a trailer—or a tank. A tank has the advantage of having a cannon to blast the moose to smithereens. The authorities may frown on that. My friends who seem to hit deer frequently have rhino bars on their trucks, but all that would do to a moose is protect the grille. You still have to remove the moose from your lap. At that point a pretty grille is meaningless.

The only defense is keeping a sharp eye on the road and the trees and bushes alongside the road. If a moose is running away from something, there may not be anything you can do. If there are bogs or water along the road, it is more likely moose will be there feeding. That's where those long legs are an advantage—the moose can get into deep water and feed and escape predators. Their grey fur makes them hard to see (they blend in with the color of the road but are also hard for predators to see), especially if the sun is in your eyes. Good sunglasses help—we always get Polarized glasses. Since there are no predators in Newfoundland to keep the moose population down, perhaps the Province should dye the moose blaze orange.

When we went to Newfoundland in '04, we saw no moose near or on the road. I don't think we ever saw a moose despite there being 500,000 of them. We have seen them in northern Minnesota on the road and in western or northern Canada near the road. The danger of hitting one is very small, but the risk is high because of what happens then. It is not worth getting crazy about, just be alert.

Gene
Old 05-03-2015, 09:18 PM   #140
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Missouri Valley , Iowa
When we went to Newfoundland a few years ago we saw only 2 moose - but we saw 5 black bears !!! I would rather see moose but bears are pretty cool, too. We saw and stayed in a lot of mom & pop type campgrounds. They usually had water and electric and a dump station. One lady had a c/g in her back yard and the "office" was a sliding window in the wall of her living room !!! But you can't find nicer people !!

Dan