Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2016, 09:12 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
dallas , Texas
Trip planning from Dallas to Vancouver BC in the fall

I am going to start my trip in two weeks but haven't nailed down the route.

Start point: Dallas, Texas on about September 8.

End point: vancouver BC around November 22.

Need to stop in Phoenix AZ between September 29-October 2.

First time owner of AS, or any RV. No towing experience yet.

Goals: visiting national parks, state parks. Focus on natural beauty and outdoor activities.

Constrains: no towing experience, going to colder climate, four seasons trip from 100F to below freezing point (at least some nights)

What I have in mind is to avoid difficult driving condition given that I am a newbie and this is my first time.
In my mind, avoid mountain passes and snow if possible.

Also I want to be well prepared. Since I do consider possible winter stationary camping, I have been learning about things in cold climate which I think will help me with this trip when some nights can be cold.

So what is the best route?

I am thinking
1. Dallas to big bend, Carlsbad and then Santa Fe.

2. Heading to Utah (because I am on borrowed time as weather gets colder everyday)

3. Come down to Phoenix at the end of September for conference.

4. Head west to California and spend October exploring California destinations (parks)

5. Going up on the coastal roads exploring Oregon and Washington in November. (I imagine costal area, lower elevation, less snow and winding road?)

Arrive in BC around November 22.

Does my plan sound reasonable?

I bought mountain directory app that gives me grade and elevation information. But real world experience would be greatly appreciated!

Any tips, suggestions, favorites, camp sites, links, blogs would be great!

Thank you

Joy
spreadmywing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:42 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Very unlikely to see snow between California and Vancouver in November.

Highly unlikely there will be any snow on I-5 that time of year. You may be able to see fresh snow off in the distance on the Cascade mountains as you come up I-5, but more likely it will be cloudy in November, and no doubt there will be rain.

Nearly zero percent chance of snow along PCH.

Weather in Vancouver in November is chilly and wet. Plan for 45 degrees and rain. There should be good skiing in November, but that will be up in the mountains. You won't usually see snow in the city until after Christmas.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:43 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
dallas , Texas
thank you!
Old 08-24-2016, 09:59 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
Be sure to go to cpc.gov to check historical boarder wait times. There are several different crossings you can use. Blaine is good if you want to stop at the duty free. The parking lot is too small for an RV unless you can slip right on the end. But as you approach you will see a strip to the left which is between the lanes of traffic where you can stop with your long rig and park for a few minutes to go to the duty free. There are times though that the Lynden crossing has shorter wait times. Sumas you have to drive through town a fair bit more. The blaine truck crossing can be really fast but check the signs for wait time if you go that direction. AND don't be surprised when they ask you a few times to confirm you are not taking your AS up to Canada to sell it. Canada is very protective of their industry and you cannot just take an RV up there and sell it without permission. Also remember if you have a firearm for protection you will need a permit in advance. and many weapons that are common in the US are prohibited in Canada.
MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:32 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Gilbert , Arizona
Definately the PCH in CA. Beautiful drive. Also free to camp (no hookups) on the ocean side north of Cambria (at least is was several years back when I drove that route from San Fran going south).

1977 24ft Argosy - sold.
Picinisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:36 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
dallas , Texas
Pch?
Old 08-24-2016, 11:49 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
A must stop place on Oregon, www.seaandsandrvpark.com, try to get first row on the beach.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:06 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
November is not the most ideal time to visit the Pacific Northwest as the prevailing west winds turn wet about then. That being said, you can still find some occasional beautiful weather. Although not yet Winter, ice and snow starts showing up at higher elevations.
One place to be cautious is the Siskiyou pass on I-5, just north of the California/Oregon border. If you choose to go that route on your way north, I would check the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) website for real time weather conditions.
An alternative to going that way, would be to head over to US 101 at Reading, and north on that route. The coast route is amazing no matter when you take it. Although it might be a bit damp, it beats a white knuckle experience in the Siskiyous if things get dicey. Since you have the time, you will be able to appreciate what the coastal route has to offer.
There are many great state parks along the coast in Oregon. I suggest you look on ReserveAmerica.com to see which parks are still available for camping.
Happy camping!!
PDXRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:30 PM   #9
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
PCH = Pacific Coast Highway = Highway 1

Oregon requires you to carry chains during part of the year. Info on the Oregon DOT Website.

Good luck with the trip. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Hi, Sounds like a great trip!

While traveling in the West in October and November, be aware many of the parks, both State, NFS, and others often close during the winter. Many close the parks around Oct. 1. There are many options usually, depending on your sense of adventure!

The coast route in Oregon is stunning, but a slow go... winding roads most of the way and two lane roads, beautiful and likely rainy. Everyone in Oregon disregards the rain, so camping in the rain isn't a problem, lots do it.

If you travel Interstate 5 (I-5) through Northern California and Oregon/Washington it isn't bad once you get past Redding. However, there have been lots of road repairs and if they don't get finished some areas will have slower traffic. Just look at the CalTrans website and the ODot website for Oregon and plan your route as you look at the weather. The Siskiyou Pass (between Yreka, CA and Ashland, Oregon) shouldn't be a problem unless there is a early winter. The snow/ice can be daunting over that pass mostly because it is the main trucking route. But we have gone over it with our trailer many, many times and it is a piece of cake compared to driving on the San Diego Freeway!

If you take a look at the Oregon State Parks website and look at campgrounds... lots of wonderful places to see! Oregon has fabulous parks, often with hot showers, hookups and some with wifi! Be prepared in many places along your journey you may or may not have cell service while traveling between different areas. This is especially notable in the mountains and throughout the southwest in parts of Arizona, New Mexico, etc.

Best guess is you want to look and see how many days you expect to be on the road before your destination... that will certainly help you determine a route. For example, if you went up Hiway 1 in California.... from San Francisco to the Oregon Boarder might take several days depending on how much you like to drive... If you decide to go to the Oregon Coast but don't want to try the whole CA coast drive.... you can choose other routes. But always check with CalTrans.... some areas (north of Napa) have had very serious fires and towns and planned stays may not be available.

Some of our favorite places along a portion of your route would be: Jedediah Smith Redwoods SP - California State Parks; Brookings Oregon (banana belt area...) at Harris Beach State Park; Along I-5 and a small drive... from Salem Oregon is Silver Falls State Park.... worth the drive!

Some of the places you may choose to stay will be determined by the length of your tow vehicle and your rig... and how comfortable you are backing and towing.

If you have specific questions on areas, just post them, folks will likely respond! Have fun!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:59 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
dallas , Texas
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it.

I wonder from Phoenix over to California, do I need to cross any mountains or challenge drives?

The national parks in California at higher elevations might snow in October?
Old 08-25-2016, 08:28 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Gilbert , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by spreadmywing View Post
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it.

I wonder from Phoenix over to California, do I need to cross any mountains or challenge drives?

The national parks in California at higher elevations might snow in October?
Nothing big if you are going to LA on I10

1977 24ft Argosy - sold.
Picinisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:30 PM   #13
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
we travel down to AZ every year in Nov from Vancouver area ... you should expect rain and wind but probably little chance of snow...it will probably be fairly wet from Oregon north.
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:36 PM   #14
Paul Zmann

Currently Looking...
Garland , Texas
Vacation plan

I have started a trip plan from Dallas to Alaska. I found Road Trippers, it allows over 25 waypoints, and will give to things to see & do, campsites etc. As I've said I'm planning my bucket list trip to Alaska. Very easy to use and easy to add waypoints. You might consider looking at it.

https://roadtrippers.com
Paul Zmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:48 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Yamhill , Oregon
Joy

If you decide to head inland in northern Oregon, we have free parking for Airstreamers at our place in Yamhill, Oregon. Pad, Power, water, & sewer for up to a 28' rig. Lots of wine tasting in our area, and about one hour back to the coast for day trips, or shopping with no sales tax!
Rob Edgerton is offline   Reply With Quote