Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Severna Park , Maryland
Travels with Charley

I recently read a complimentary review of this book even though the reviewer said the book was written when John Steinbeck was a "grumpy old man". I can only assume the reviewer was about 30 years old. It is an excellent read that can be appreciated by Airstreamers of any age.

Steinbeck based the book on his solitary 11 week cross country journey in the fall of 1960(the last decade of his life). It was taken from the journal he kept and reportedly from letters he wrote his wife. It was originally published in 1962 under Travels with Charley in Search of America.

Now, he took the trip in what we would today call a pickup camper; but, I have to believe if he were around and doing it today, it would have been in an Airstream Interstate.

While there are any number of facets to this book, I also think it capturesthe essence of why many of us like to "ramble".

Have others read this? What did you think?
sailorii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
I gave both of my boys that book when they left home so they would understand how to see everything around them and Steinbeck, grumpy or not, in that trip really saw and captured an America that was soon to change more and more. Steinbeck's narrative on that book cinched my decision to be a journalist and guided my appreciation of story telling for the past 45 years.
Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:42 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Route 66 , Arizona
I liked it. Also liked Of Mice and Men, and there was another one...was it The Pearl?? Not sure. He also did The Grapes of Wrath. Great writer.
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:50 PM   #4
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
I give this book to new Airstreamers for their trailer library Leave it in the trailer, use as emergency reading if you ever forget your book and have to wait out a rain storm...

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #5
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
I read that book while still in High School. And over the years I consumed a number of travel and adventure books, as I worked and traveled all over the world. A couple years ago at the Alumapalooza, I purchased a similar book by Gregory Zeigler “Travels With Max.” “In Search of Steinbeck’s America Fifty Years Later.”
Gregory writes about his travels around the country together with his dog Max and his Airstream Bambi. It’s worth reading.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I read Charley on our last Airstream trip. It was a great read. Steinbeck has such a unique writing style. I thought Charley was better the Grapes.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Great book by a great American writer. The actual camper (Rocinante) is on display at the National Steinbeck Center in Salinas California -- a must-visit for Steinbeck fans. Link: Welcome Home :: National Steinbeck Center
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

I'm reading while on my own discovery of America.
In fact I call my blog Travels with Geordie in homage.

Currently on the beach on San Padre Island Texas.

Peter and Geordie

Travels with Geordie
ArgosyRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:46 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
The John Steinbeck museum is in Salinas, Ca. and apparently is home to the camper used by the author. It has been suggested that the novel was ghost written in part rather than a full accounting of Mr. Steinbeck's actual experiences. Nonetheless, it was an excellent novel !
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:52 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
The novel might have been written by Steinbeck, but looking back now it probably should not be classified as non-fiction.

This guy does a bit of research and tries to follow Steinbeck's trail. Interesting read but the dude got a bit too political and ruined most of the book. Amazon.com: Dogging Steinbeck: How I went in search of John Steinbeck's America, found my own America, and exposed the truth about 'Travels With Charley' eBook: Bill Steigerwald: Kindle Store
Old 02-08-2014, 07:03 AM   #11

eighty four , Pennsylvania
the dogging steinbeck dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaah View Post
The novel might have been written by Steinbeck, but looking back now it probably should not be classified as non-fiction.

This guy does a bit of research and tries to follow Steinbeck's trail. Interesting read but the dude got a bit too political and ruined most of the book. Amazon.com: Dogging Steinbeck: How I went in search of John Steinbeck's America, found my own America, and exposed the truth about 'Travels With Charley' eBook: Bill Steigerwald: Kindle Store

Thanks for the plug on my book -- and for buying it. Sorry I got too political for you. But since I am an ex-newspaper op-ed columnist, and a stanch libertarian journalsist (a rare thing), and since my book was my travel story about my adventures on the road with Steinbeck (himself a very political dude), my politics had to be in my book -- just as Steinbeck's partisan New Deal/Democrat politics are in his book. Politics is/are found in most nonfiction (which is what my book is and his book wasn't). But it's rarely libertarian politics.

bill steigerwald
xpaperboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:39 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Good that you brought this up. It prompted me to recheck the library's eholdings -- and to send in a recommendation to buy. I had checked this before, but my recommendation list was already full at the time. Seems like they limit patrons to 10 or so recommendations.

Lynn
Old 02-08-2014, 09:42 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaperboy View Post
Sorry I got too political for you.
OK maybe not "ruined". I just wasn't expecting that slant. Overall I really enjoyed your book. Probably more than the original. After reading Travels with Charlie, especially towards the end it appeared a little fake to me and went looking for reviews then stumbled upon your book.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Severna Park , Maryland
Travels with Max

Thanks JStanley for the suggestion to read Gregory Zeigler's book. Next stop, Amazon, to see if I can buy a down load of it for my e-reader.

As an aside, these posts remind me of a reason I like to stop in often on Air Forums. Airstream owners are interesting people. Of course, the ready, available advice and tips are great(most the time it is even accurate-Ha).
sailorii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:55 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Route 66 , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaperboy View Post
Thanks for the plug on my book -- and for buying it. Sorry I got too political for you. But since I am an ex-newspaper op-ed columnist, and a stanch libertarian journalsist (a rare thing), and since my book was my travel story about my adventures on the road with Steinbeck (himself a very political dude), my politics had to be in my book -- just as Steinbeck's partisan New Deal/Democrat politics are in his book. Politics is/are found in most nonfiction (which is what my book is and his book wasn't). But it's rarely libertarian politics.

bill steigerwald
Got my interest (and a sale). Been awhile since I read TWC; maybe it's time for rediscovery from a different angle. Thanks Bill.
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgosyRover View Post
I'm reading while on my own discovery of America.
In fact I call my blog Travels with Geordie in homage.

Currently on the beach on San Padre Island Texas.

Peter and Geordie

Travels with Geordie
Nice blog! Love your trailer and your doggie!
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote