Old 06-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1994 30' Excella
Napanee , Ontario
travelling to Newfoundland in July

Hello, we plan on going to Newfoundland in July pulling our 1994 30' Excella. The Province is unknown to us but it sounds intriguing.
We would take only the short ferry to and from Port Aux Basques.
Gros Morne is one of our destinations. We are traveling with another couple who do not hike etc. They seem focused though on travelling only on the West coast of Newfoundland which I worry about as I think that the East Coast, North and South of St. Johns would have more to offer from a cultural or tourist perspective. Is that accurate?
Lastly, in the St. John's or Lance Aux Medows areas are there camgrounds that others have enjoyed. Any direction or advice woud be apperciated.

Brian Hobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Hi Brian,
I have always wanted to go to Newfoundland but haven't made it yet.
My parents went a few years ago and really liked it. I'll see if I can get any info on campsites for you.
Why not go up the west coast and down the east coast on the way back. Since it is a long drive to get there I think you should try to see it all if you have time.

BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Three years ago we were planning a trip to Nova Scotia and I had wanted to include a side trip to Newfoundland dropping the trailer off in Sydney. I called the campground to arrange storage for 2 or 3 days stating we were going to B&B on Newfoundland. The campground manager said don't waste your money you can't see Newfoundland in 2 or 3 days, you need 3 weeks. So we went to Nova Scotia and planed a 3 weeker for the following year. He was partly right, we saw 1/2 in 3 weeks.

Newfoundland is clearly the poorest Province in Canada now but most likely will be the richest in 10 years as their oil comes on line. So you want to see it now before the change. The comment is when you go to Newfoundland you set your clock ahead 1 1/2 hours and you calender back to 1950.

You will find the private campground very small and quaint. You want to try and get some time at Barachois Pond Provincial. If your ferry gets you there early in the day try for reservations for the first night or 2.

If you can get in touch with Gros Morne before you go and see if they will send you the tour schedule for the park for the time you will be there. Try and schedule your time in the park to go on the Tableland tour while camped at Lomond.

L Anse aux Meadows is a must and while there take in the Norseman Restaurant, one of the top 100 in Canada. Also the Dr. Grenfeld Museum to realy get a feel for how they lived before motorboats and cars.

We did not take it in but there is a small theater in Cow Head that seamed to draw a crowd. We stayed at a small private campground in Cow Head, a true parking lot by the sea.

My wife wanted to see the 911 museum at Gander so we did get that far east. From there we went up to Twillingate, and Fogo Island. There you will see the current economic conditions. As a boy turns 18 he is put on a plan to Alberta because he ca make $15.00 an hour in Mc Donalds. Were as I could have bought a house on Fogo Island for $5,000.00.

Yes we did go over to Labrador for 3 days. If you can take a few bugs the trip out to Battle Harbor, a rehabbed fishing community that is now a museum in its self.

All in all we had electricity 4 nights in 3 weeks and did not miss it.

You should plan on stopping in Baddeck Nova Scotia for the Alexander Bell museum and if possible go out to Louisbourg to the National Park. You will see signs for Mother's restaurant going up through Nova Scotia. After several trips we stopped on the way home and I will stop again.

All in all of the 47 states and 9 Provinces we have been in Newfoundland is my wife favorite so far. Not because it is the prettiest, BC takes that, but because it is the closet to revisit from NJ.

If you have not yet discovered Google Earth and the photographs on it you want. With Google Earth "geographic web" you can fly and preplan your trip using the pictures others have posted. My picture of the statue at L Anse aux Meadows
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Here is the reply I got from my mother.
Hi Al. Very nice camping there. We took the ferry from Sydney. N.B. to Port aux Basques and camped in Doyles (Grand Codroy R.V. Park) , Rocky Harbour (Spirity Pond R.V. Park) in Gros Morne National Park, very nice. Then St. Anthony's to see Viking Settlements (Triple Falls R.V. Park), back to Rocky Harbbour and on to Gander (Country Inn Trailer Park), Very nice but it rained! Then we camped right in the middle of St. John's at Pippy's Park; excellent, like the one in Ottawa. From there we went to Argentia to take the ferry and we camped on the ferry parking lot for free. We loved Newfoundland. This si the camping info. We took sidetrips to do whalewatching etc. Tell them to get some brochures. In Gros Morne Park we took a boat tour of Western Pond, very worthwile.
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Baddeck: if you are going to follow HowieE suggestions and spend some time in Baddeck, and you are a fan of bagpipes, then you will not forgive yourself if you miss one of the wednesday night Ceilidhs at the Gaelic College of Celtic Arts and Crafts (even if you are not a fan of bagpipes) - and you will need a day for the Cabot Trail - and you will have to take in one of the Lobster Suppers (they have all you can eat mussels and chowder - but eating all you can eat will have consequences about 2AM - and it ain't pretty ...)

Don't rule out the ferry from Argentia for the trip home - it really does give you a lot more flexibility in your explorations - but it is an 18 hour trip and a cabin makes life a lot more comfortable.

St. John's: Pippy Park is right in the city - sites are a bit small but are reasonably buffered from each other - get reservations
L'Anse Aux Meadows: Triple Falls RV Park is just outside of St. Anthony - basic but clean and friendly folks.

Do take the time to enjoy dinner theatres - there is quite a network in Newfoundland - the one at Cow Head is terrific.

In Gros Morne, even if your friends don't enjoy hiking, do convince them to take the "walk" to the boat tour on Western Brook Pond.

Parks Canada - Boat Tours

Newfoundland excels in an "agendless" holidy - our greatest memories really weren't the big attractions (although we did enjoy them) - it was the poking around in small coastline villages - moving on when we felt like it.

Be prepared;
- to meet the friendliest folks you will ever find anywhere on the planet.
- to adopt Cod as your new favourite fish.
- to visit a chunk of the world that may be poor in material wealth but rich in culture
- to forget what a fresh salad looks like
- to be cold, hot, wet, dry - in the span of 15 minutes

Our regrets:
- we didn't spend at least one night doing a local Bed and Breakfast
- we didn't spend enough time on the North Shore
- we didn't go to Twillingate
- we didn't go to St. Mary's Bird Observatory
- we went too late in the season to enjoy the icebergs
- we didn't go "jigging" for Cod

Enjoy your trip - it will be different than you've ever had before - but one you will remember for a lifetime.

A couple pictures: Moose are everywhere, farming methods are somewhat traditional, and bringing the cows home means a trip down the Trans Canada highway.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1710.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	81967   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1742.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	81968  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2034.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	81969  
Bambi - 2002 (The Toaster)
Pathfinder - 2009 (The Buggy)

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
2007 31' Classic
Kingston , ON
Hello Brian - hope you pre-booked your ferry passage. Not sure what the wait is like without a reservation. Gros Morne is great - many great hikes to fill your time for a week or two. Green Gardens is arguably the best, although many prefer the Gros Morne climb. Tablelands is interesting, and picturesque.

If you get to Twilingate, try camping at the old abandoned (logging?) station just northwest of town on the ocean. It's not really a campsite, and you will know you are there because there are some brightly painted pumps around. We just parked on the gravel road overlooking the ocean, and watched the sunset and whales jumping.

Have fun,

trvler is offline   Reply With Quote