Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2008, 11:24 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
traveling with worn axles

Okay - so I verified that the torsion arms are positioned to indicate that the axles of my A/S require replacing. I intend to do this over the holidays - when I can get some assistance. Till then, I'd like to continue with some local camping trips though... There are several nice parks within 15 miles of my home that I can get to traveling at 45 mph. The PO did not know the axles were worn but replaced the shocks with OEM parts about 6 months ago. I towed my AS home - about 50 miles - and have since camped twice. I have not found any popped "external" rivets, no opening of cabinet doors and very little movement of other inside items (fan on floor did move across the carpet about 5 ft from initial position on floor). However, I did just find some popped rivets inside - several that had secured the medicine cabinet (underneath the mirror) to the aft inside wall. I triet to push it back in place without luck. Also found one broken corner piece of a window cornice (rivet intact, cornice cracked). I don't know the cause of the damage...

Here's my question... I'm sure you all LOVE these kinds of questions... I've been invited to camp with my family in a few weeks at a place that is about 50 miles south. I was planning on going but thought I'd ask for your input first. I can travel slow and shouldn't require any dirt or bumpy roads - not even any bridges that I can think of. It would mean a lot to me to camp with them - but I don't want to be worried about causing structural damage either. What do you think?

Thanks for any advice/suggestions you can offer
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
My axles were positive when I bought the trailer and remained positive for 10 years and over 100,000 miles before I replaced them. Now I did have 3 axles to cushion things and only run 40 lbs.

Not sure if you have a single or double axle set up but if you have inflated the tires against the trailer weight and not just set them to MAX. you should be fine. Check the clearance to the wheel well and see if the tire has ever touched the top of the well.

I would guess that over half the trailers out there have positive angle to there axles and don't even know it.

Boy am I going to hear it on this one.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
My axles were positive when I bought the trailer and remained positive for 10 years and over 100,000 miles before I replaced them. Now I did have 3 axles to cushion things and only run 40 lbs.

Not sure if you have a single or double axle set up but if you have inflated the tires against the trailer weight and not just set them to MAX. you should be fine. Check the clearance to the wheel well and see if the tire has ever touched the top of the well.

I would guess that over half the trailers out there have positive angle to there axles and don't even know it.

Inflated the tires against the trailer weight ---- ahhh, what's that mean?

Thanks for the quick reply - family anxiously awaiting my "yay" (vs neigh) to the trip.
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I'm with you Howie...another 100 miles is not going to make a huge difference in the big scheme of things. It's not like there is a hard/fast "expiration date". You're probably several hundred miles past when they "should have been" replaced. Would it be better to replace them first...yeah, but another 100 miles is not going to be a guarantee for disaster.

Lower the tire pressure for a smoother ride for the trip..then replace them as as soon as you can since you know they are worn out - the sooner the better, less potential to worry and/or ruin your future outings!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:46 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I'm pretty sure this was a "worst case" today, but a customer showed up for axles, and the trailing arms and hubs fell out of the axles when it was jacked up.
I doubt it would happen to you, but it could.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
FunKIll
I would not suggest changing tire pressure. U will get undue sidewall flex resulting in undue heat which weaken sidwalls and results in blow outs,which will wiff out a doubt do more damage than the Bad Axles.
Go with almost empty water tank and load lite on the food stuffs and to much un-needed stuff in the trailer. We did the same thing. We had scheduled outings and we went. The 100 miles round trip will not hurt much as long as U are careful. GO AND ENJOY
I changed axles this yr ,its a piece of cake .Took me 3 hrs and no problems. OH Did I mention I'M 70 yrs old.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote