Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2019, 06:00 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Thanks man. The trip has been a lot of fun so far, for sure. Last roadtrip I took was before kids, almost 15 years ago. It’s nice to be out and about again.

I have a perfectly good cooler at home that the wife will bring out if the fridge repair doesn’t work out as planned.
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:09 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Newbie questions

A few questions for those of you more experienced than I (which is pretty much all of you):
  1. When you hitch up and retract your jack foot, does it ever “jump” in one direction or another? Sometimes after hitching up and I am retracting my jack foot, the trailer shifts and the jack foot moves suddenly as it is retracting. Not by much and I’m not in any danger (it’s hitched up) but I just want to make sure this isn’t unusual or that I’m not putting any undue stress on the jack.
  2. Awnings—I know to retract my big awning when I leave the trailer. I don’t use it so much but that may be a factor of my campsites or the weather so far. What about the other awnings—namely the rear and streetside awnings, which are much smaller (and manual)? Should those come in too (I have been but am wondering what standard practice is)?
  3. Windows sticking—I have a small trim tool that I use to pry the windows open when they stick. The issue is that they always stick. Because I’m traveling with kids, I make sure to pry open the emergency exit in the bedroom every time we land somewhere. I’m also wondering if this is standard practice or if anyone has come up with a better way to handle the windows.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:42 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
A few questions for those of you more experienced than I (which is pretty much all of you):

1. When you hitch up and retract your jack foot, does it ever “jump” in one direction or another? Sometimes after hitching up and I am retracting my jack foot, the trailer shifts and the jack foot moves suddenly as it is retracting. Not by much and I’m not in any danger (it’s hitched up) but I just want to make sure this isn’t unusual or that I’m not putting any undue stress on the jack.
  2. Awnings—I know to retract my big awning when I leave the trailer. I don’t use it so much but that may be a factor of my campsites or the weather so far. What about the other awnings—namely the rear and streetside awnings, which are much smaller (and manual)? Should those come in too (I have been but am wondering what standard practice is)?
  3. Windows sticking—I have a small trim tool that I use to pry the windows open when they stick. The issue is that they always stick. Because I’m traveling with kids, I make sure to pry open the emergency exit in the bedroom every time we land somewhere. I’m also wondering if this is standard practice or if anyone has come up with a better way to handle the windows.

Jack foot - I always chock the AS (Airstream) tires and level everything before we disconnect from the TV (tow vehicle). I use the x-chocks which are great for this. Keeps the trailer from shifting which can be dangerous. I only remove the x-chocks once I have reconnected the TV. Think of it as using the x-chocks or the truck to anchor the AS in place - we call it “dropping anchor”.

Awnings - we usually put the awnings up if we leave for an extended amount of time, for short trips just depends on the weather and the wind.

Windows - Try 303 Protectant on the window gaskets. It helps ours not to stick so much. There are also “window poppers” that some use to help push the windows out instead of using the tool. Quick forum search will find those for you!
Old 06-24-2019, 07:57 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Pretty much the same as UncleBad

1. Level side to side and chock before I unhook. I don't remove safety chains until the trailer hitch is off the ball. Then level front to back.

2. If I leave the Campground the awnings get put up.

3. Credit card can also be used outside to unstick windows. 303 at the beginning of trip will usually keep them from sticking for awhile unless a lot of heat hits the windows. Usually not a much problem after 303 used in cool weather.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:43 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Thanks, guys.

1. I do level and chock before unhitching, and don’t unchock until after I’m hooked up again. It’s standard procedure with the ProPride. For leveling I usually use Andersons but have used orange stacking blocks a few times. I use an X-chock on the leveling side and if I don’t also use an x-chock on the non-leveled side, I use rubber chocks, sometimes both. So I’m not sure what the movement comes from. My current theory is that when I hitch up with the ProPride I bump the trailer a bit. Just wanted to know if the jack foot movement is something I’m doing wrong or if it’s pretty common.

2. 10-4, I’ll continue what I’m doing—putting up all awnings both when I leave and when I go to bed.

3. I’ll look into the 303. I used this stuff that was recommended as preventative maintenance for my F-250 sunroof (can’t remember what it’s called) but it didn’t help much. I’ll also look up window poppers.

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2019, 05:45 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Coldwater , Ontario
I had been using 303 and still had to credit card the windows open after being closed for more than a week or so. I got a can of silicone lubricant spray, wet a paper towel with spray and wipe the seals. Perfect! No more carding the window seals. I expect I’ll need to re-lube the seals occasionally (once or twice a season) but yeah. Silicone lube works waaaay better than 303. YMMV
bbandeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:49 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
I had one other thought re: your jack tongue movement. I have an Equalizer hitch. I don’t know how your ProPride works but I raise my tongue when hitched to remove the pressure on the WD bars to make them easier to remove. When my site is level then no real issue. However, it there is an incline where my Truck is higher than my Airstream, I have to raise the tongue higher to relieve the pressure on the WD bars. This seems to make the tongue jack not to be 90 degrees when raised higher. When I remove the WD bars and lower the jack, the base of the jack will creep forward a little as the jack moves closer back to 90 degrees. For me, it only occurs in this situation so I make sure my wood block is positioned a little off center toward the real of the trailer so it won’t creep off the front of the wood block when I lower it. It happens whether I use the Anderson leveling on the road or a Concrete block behind my wheels at home.

You didn’t ask this but, if you have a surge protector, always plug it in and test the power at the campsite before you do all your leveling and set up and then find out your power is bad. Don’t ask me how I know!
Old 06-25-2019, 11:00 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Yep. Took plenty of notes on things to do when checking a site out. Ingress and power (if available) are the first.

That’s an interesting thought about WD tension and makes sense. When unhitching I typically put the tongue jack down first to relieve pressure on the truck, then I do the WD bars. That’s what the PP manual says to do but it does make sense that if I lower the towers second it would make the trailer’s weight shift a bit while the jack is down. I’ll try the other way a few times and see if that makes a difference.

It does seem to happen more (or to a greater extent) when the site is on an incline.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:15 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Bonita Springs , Florida
This sound like so much fun!! I’ve really enjoyed travel with my Eddie Bauer and sad to see it go eventually. But I’ll be in an airstream soon enough.
In your current travel are you able to connect with any airstream events? That would be nice for the kits to experience with all the good AS folk out there [emoji106][emoji322] keep having FUN!
Old 07-11-2019, 08:55 PM   #30
PEN
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Bryant , Arkansas
Following
Old 08-18-2019, 11:11 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
One other Thought

Nyrn - Since my earlier reply, see below, I've seen some info that I may try in the future. When the TV is higher than the RV where you will be camping, someone suggested removing the weight distribution bars on level ground before you unhitch. That way, all the pressure that would otherwise be on those bars isn't there and you don't have to raise the tongue as high to get the bars off.
You tow with a 3/4 ton F-250 so it would be able to support the tongue weight for whatever short distance that would be. I tow with a similar vehicle so may give that shot as well.

"However, it there is an incline where my Truck is higher than my Airstream, I have to raise the tongue higher to relieve the pressure on the WD bars. This seems to make the tongue jack not to be 90 degrees when raised higher. When I remove the WD bars and lower the jack, the base of the jack will creep forward a little as the jack moves closer back to 90 degrees. "
Old 08-18-2019, 11:21 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Perhaps you are referring to the Blue Ox Injury thread—I’ve been looking at that too and wondering if it applies in my case. I think it does and I think you are right.

What I may try over the coming weeks is lowering the propride jacks well before getting into the site—like when I’m doing the site walkthrough, before backing up or pulling in. I don’t think weight distribution is a factor during those operations and it would leave me parked with the WD off, ready to put the jack down and chock up.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:09 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2023 30' Classic
Denver , North Carolina
I took a similar approach to securing the sliding doors, which always seemed to wiggle their way open while driving. I inserted some tiny rare earth magnets into the sides of the cabinet (secured with epoxy) and used countersunk screws in the doors. They work great.[/QUOTE]

nryn

Did you recess the magnets into the sink base cabinet or surface mount them? Am I correct in assuming the screws were countersunk into the edges of the cabinet doors?

I've got the same problem with those doors sliding open and your fix sounds like a good solution.

Thanks
Dave S
link2dks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:44 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by link2dks View Post
Did you recess the magnets into the sink base cabinet or surface mount them? Am I correct in assuming the screws were countersunk into the edges of the cabinet doors?

I've got the same problem with those doors sliding open and your fix sounds like a good solution.

Hi, sorry I just remembered to respond to this.

I recessed the magnets and countersunk the screws, yes. Works really well for paved highways but after a lengthy (and bumpy) trip to Alaska I’m going to replace the screws in the doors with magnets to increase the hold. I can post photos when done.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:35 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Screen Guard / Nameplate

It occurs to me that I forgot to post about the most meaningful customization to my Globetrotter—its screen guard/nameplate.

My maternal grandfather was without question my childhood hero. We called him Tatay (tah-tie), the Tagalog (Filipino) word for father. Every once in a while, Tatay would talk about one of his wacky dreams—for me to grow old enough to get a driver’s license so that he could buy an RV and I could drive us around the US. We never got the opportunity to make that happen but every few years since he passed away I’d think about his plan. Eventually I started putting pieces in place to allow me to make some version of his dream happen, but with my kids, and to Alaska—a place I’ve always wanted to go.

Even before signing the Airstream’s papers, I knew it would be named “Tatay”. Not only in tribute to him and the idea he planted in my head many years ago, but also to—in some way—bring him with us as we explore the country.

I worked with Weathered and Worn Design to have this screen door plate made. I wanted to incorporate something distinctly Tatay into the design and played with a few ideas. In the end I used a material that is featured heavily in Filipino interior architecture and design—capiz. It’s a translucent shell that in older architecture was used as window panes. It’s also still used in traditional Filipino lampshades and chandeliers, some of which you’ll find in high-end catalogs. Nanay and Tatay loved theirs and gave one to my mom when my parents bought their first house. You see it here as discs that I’ve affixed to alternating circular frames in the screen.

During the Airstream’s maiden voyage / shakedown trip, I finished and mounted the screen door guard at my campsite in Elkmont Campground in Great Smokey Mountain National Park.

Old 08-30-2019, 05:37 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2023 30' Classic
Denver , North Carolina
Beautiful tribute to your grandfather, nice work!

Dave S
link2dks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:19 AM   #37
PEN
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Bryant , Arkansas
Tribute

Wow! What a special way to honor him and introduce him to your children!
Old 08-30-2019, 06:36 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Great story and love the screen plate. I camped with my grandfather and grandmother a couple of times as a kid. When old enough to drive my grandfather would let me drive him (just with his car) to visit his sister in Canton, NC. It was a win/win for both of us. I got to drive as a teenager and we got to spend time together so I can really understand your journey.
Old 09-01-2019, 03:15 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Chicago > Alaska Summary

As some of you know from this thread or others, I left Chicago on June 1 for an 80-day roadtrip with my kids to Alaska. I had taken the rig out for two trips prior—a 10-day shakedown trip to Great Smokey Mountains National Park and for a weekend trip with the family to Ludington State Park in Michigan. On this trip, my wife joined us from time to time and for all of the Alaska portion, then she flew back with the kids on August 18.

What an amazing summer we had. I’ll not bore you with the family stuff, so here are some Airstream highlights.

Our route:

Stays:
  • Cracker Barrel (kids loved it!) - 1 night
  • Porter Sculpture Park in SD - 1 night
  • Badlands National Park: 6 nights
  • South Dakota Black Hills (Rafter J Bar Ranch): 6 nights
  • Devils Tower National Park (KOA): 2 nights
  • Random campground in WY: 1 night
  • Grand Tetons National Park (Colter Bay Campground): 7 nights
  • Yellowstone (split between Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone and Rocky Mountain RV in Gardiner, with a night at Canyon Lodge somewhere in there): 8 nights
  • Missoula, MT (stayed with friend): 2 nights
  • Glacier NP (KOA West Glacier): 3 nights
  • Kootenay National Park, Canada (Redstreak): 6 nights
  • Jasper National Park, Canada (Wapiti): 7 nights
  • Alcan Highway (various): 7 nights
  • Fairbanks (Riverview RV Park): 2 nights
  • Denali National Park (Riley Creek, Teklanika): 6 nights
  • Talkeetna (Talkeetna Camper Park): 1 night
  • Girdwood (Alyeska Resort parking Lot): 1 night
  • Soldotna, Kenai Peninsula (Kenai Riverfront Resort): 2 nights
  • Homer, Alaska (Heritage RV Park): 3 nights
  • Seward, Alaska (City Campground): 4 nights
  • Anchorage (Ship Creek RV Park): trailer was parked 9 nights, but 2 nights of those we were at Brooks Lodge in Katmai National Park

We saw tons of wildlife—black and grizzly bears, moose, wolves, fox, elk, caribou, marmots, orcas, humpbacks, and pretty much everything else that you can find in the wild on that route. I caught Alaskan salmon and a variety of trout on a fly rod and we got to see glaciers and other geological wonders up close. This is probably the longest trip we’ll take as a family; my son enters high school next year and I think that in addition to predictable teenage angst, he will (understandably) have interests and friends that will be hard to pull him away from. Seeing this around the corner, I took year off working to plan this trip, research / acquire / customize / get familiar with the rig, and actually go on the trip. I think of this as an advance on my retirement before we are all are too old to enjoy it or have time for it together. I have to say—it worked out wonderfully.

One other important note: I did not let my kids bring any phones or tablets with them, just their Kindles. We’d watch a movie every 10 days or so as a family, but other than that it’ll probably the last screen-free summer they will have, perhaps in their lifetimes.

My favorite stays were at Kenai Riverfront Resort (by far, mostly but not exclusively because of the place and the hosts), Seward, and Brooks Lodge. The biggest surprises for me were Whitehorse, Yukon; Grand Tetons National Park and the surrounding area; Black Hills of South Dakota.

I’ll post photos separately and over the next few days. I’m a professional photographer but mostly did not bring my cameras around so I could focus on spending time with my family. I brought cameras and a drone with me for the solo trip back (partially with a buddy), which was intended to be a long, unplanned meandering through the northwest corner of the continent then back home, but that didn’t really work out. In fact, I’m back at home but my rig has not made it home yet. More on that later.

Also later—some comments on traveling to Alaska with an Airstream and a list of things that broke along the way. The family is back home safe and sound and the kids started school yesterday, and I was here for that (I wasn’t planning on being back until late September), so lots of things to be happy about.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:34 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Sounds like the trip of a lifetime. Glad to hear everyone enjoyed it. Hope there is nothing too serious with your Globetrotter.