Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Traveling with match light charcoal

We use match light charcoal--but now I'm worried about keeping it in a storage area of the Airstream or Truck, and having it get too hot and start a fire. Does anyone else have concerns?
Airperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
I carry mine, when I take it, in a 5 gallon metal paint bucket in the back of the truck.

Traveled all the way to Arkansas in 95 - 100 degree temps in June and then three days of upper 90s and 100s at Tawakoni earlier this month without any problems.

The only time i put it in the AS storage area in the back is if it is supposed to rain, but that has only been once in the 10 days that i have traveled with it.

The paint bucket was thoroughly cleaned and washed, so there is no paint residue, but no problems so far.

on a related note, because of the drought in Texas last year, we had not had a campfire. This year on our first outing, i spent a bunch of time working with kindling, newspaper etc to build a campfire.

when i saw how easy matchlight would light, I've decided that a couple briquets of that and a few pieces of kindling are all i need to get a campfire started.

I found that my Home Depot puts odds and ends of scrap lumber on sale at the back of store and that i can buy enough pieces of non-treated lumber for $2 to last for 2-3 camping trips.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I don't know about it self-igniting, but doesn't it give off a bit of odour from the starting fluid built in?
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
I use regular charcoal and a charcoal chimney. I store our charcoal in old cleaned out sealable kitty litter cans. It stays dry and doesn't need to be kept in the trailer. I can't remember when I last used charcoal lighter fluid.
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I just did some quick research since I thought that there was some issues for long term storage of self lighting charcoal. Nothing shows in the searches and possibly there may have been issues in the early life cycle of these products. The only thing I saw was to be sure to keep the briquets tightly sealed since the quick light waxes that are used are subject to evaporation which will make them hard to light. I saw no cautions regarding storage temperatures. Personally I would check the bag for specific instructions per the manufacturer.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have been using and traveling with it for years. Never had any problems or failure to work as advertised. No special storage issues, just roll the bag up and toss it in the trunk.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew05 View Post
I use regular charcoal and a charcoal chimney. I store our charcoal in old cleaned out sealable kitty litter cans. It stays dry and doesn't need to be kept in the trailer. I can't remember when I last used charcoal lighter fluid.
'nother chimney user here. I don't like the odor of the MatchLight, I don't know if it carries through to the food or not. My home grill is charcoal too.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
I guess I should have mentioned that the 5 gallon paint bucket is an open bucket, so there isn't any heat build up other than the heat of the sun.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
I just did some quick research since I thought that there was some issues for long term storage of self lighting charcoal. Nothing shows in the searches and possibly there may have been issues in the early life cycle of these products. The only thing I saw was to be sure to keep the briquets tightly sealed since the quick light waxes that are used are subject to evaporation which will make them hard to light. I saw no cautions regarding storage temperatures. Personally I would check the bag for specific instructions per the manufacturer.

Jack
Yep, what Jack said.

We use only match light charcoal when traveling, as we don't want to carry lighter fluid inside the motor home due to safety issues. We don't carry a chimney due to ever present space considerations. We have never had any problems or concerns in our 5 years with the interstate.

There is an odor when you first lite it, but it dissipates quickly and gets the job done.

We learned to place an opened bag inside one of those large ziplock bags, or it won't light well within a couple weeks of opening. In a sealed bag it keeps til we use it up.

For those who dutchoven cook with match light, it burns out more quickly than regular charcoal, so may require a second set of briquets.

Maggie
Old 07-29-2012, 04:32 AM   #10
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Thanks guys for your inputs. I wasn’t sure if we were on the right track carrying the match light with us in the summer in Texas. It is a great product just wanted some good feedback from folks who travel about it. Airperson
Old 07-29-2012, 04:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Good to here the chimneys work. I rally need to buy one. Thanks, jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:55 AM   #12
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chimney.html This is a good place to get information onusing the chimney starter for charcoal. Airperson
Old 07-29-2012, 05:12 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Lake St Louis , Missouri
We carry lump charcoal with us and use a twisted paper towel with cooking oil on it as a lighter. We always have paper towels and cooking oil with us, so no extra things to bring. Has worked well for us, could be an alternate lighting method for consideration.

Barry
Marthasville, MO
AirEgger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:40 AM   #14
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
AirEgger, do you use just the paper and oil without the chimney? Airperson
Old 07-29-2012, 06:08 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Using a chimney is really easy. I use crumpled up newspaper. If I run out there is always some paper bags or even paper sales papers avail along the way. I've never needed to use any oil or fire starter. As it burns the newspaper may not completely burn off.

Good Luck

Drew
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:35 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Lake St Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airperson View Post
AirEgger, do you use just the paper and oil without the chimney? Airperson
Yes. I stick the twisted paper towel (pt) down into the charcoal and wet it with cooking oil. I twist the pt into a rope and then tie it in a knot. Put some oil on the surrounding charcoal. Leave about a quarter inch of one end of the pt dry, easier to light. After the soaked pt is burning, start laying charcoal pieces over it so they catch fire. I've used starter cubes and these work as well as those. Hope these work for you.

Barry
Old 07-29-2012, 06:41 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
AirEgger
What ape of grill do you use. At home I use lump in my Green Eggs, however, I just bought a Cobb Grill for the AS. I was thinking about using lump in that as it does not have any order.

I use fire starters to start the lump They have worked fine for me over the years.

John
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Lake St Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
AirEgger
What ape of grill do you use. At home I use lump in my Green Eggs, however, I just bought a Cobb Grill for the AS. I was thinking about using lump in that as it does not have any order.

I use fire starters to start the lump They have worked fine for me over the years.

John
Agree, fire starters do a fine job. Got started using the paper towel/oil thing from an egger and stuck with it. I'm a Big Green Egg fan. Have an XL at home, have a small for travel. Also travel with a baby Q. Use the egg for meats and the Q for sides. We enjoy grilling/smoking on the road and consider that a big part of traveling.

Barry
Old 07-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
We certainly enjoy our Eggs. We use to have a small one however it walked to my daughter's home in NJ. I can tell yu the two big Eggs miss it.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
This sounds like a good excuse for a red neck experiment. When I get home I'll have to see if I can get the stuff to ignite without an open flame. Sounds like a good time at the barn for an hour or so

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote