Old 07-29-2012, 07:08 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Using a chimney is really easy. I use crumpled up newspaper. If I run out there is always some paper bags or even paper sales papers avail along the way. I've never needed to use any oil or fire starter. As it burns the newspaper may not completely burn off.

Good Luck

Drew

Old 07-29-2012, 07:35 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Lake St Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airperson View Post
AirEgger, do you use just the paper and oil without the chimney? Airperson
Yes. I stick the twisted paper towel (pt) down into the charcoal and wet it with cooking oil. I twist the pt into a rope and then tie it in a knot. Put some oil on the surrounding charcoal. Leave about a quarter inch of one end of the pt dry, easier to light. After the soaked pt is burning, start laying charcoal pieces over it so they catch fire. I've used starter cubes and these work as well as those. Hope these work for you.

Barry

Old 07-29-2012, 07:41 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
AirEgger
What ape of grill do you use. At home I use lump in my Green Eggs, however, I just bought a Cobb Grill for the AS. I was thinking about using lump in that as it does not have any order.

I use fire starters to start the lump They have worked fine for me over the years.

John
Old 07-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Lake St Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
AirEgger
What ape of grill do you use. At home I use lump in my Green Eggs, however, I just bought a Cobb Grill for the AS. I was thinking about using lump in that as it does not have any order.

I use fire starters to start the lump They have worked fine for me over the years.

John
Agree, fire starters do a fine job. Got started using the paper towel/oil thing from an egger and stuck with it. I'm a Big Green Egg fan. Have an XL at home, have a small for travel. Also travel with a baby Q. Use the egg for meats and the Q for sides. We enjoy grilling/smoking on the road and consider that a big part of traveling.

Barry
Old 07-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
We certainly enjoy our Eggs. We use to have a small one however it walked to my daughter's home in NJ. I can tell yu the two big Eggs miss it.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
This sounds like a good excuse for a red neck experiment. When I get home I'll have to see if I can get the stuff to ignite without an open flame. Sounds like a good time at the barn for an hour or so

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:24 AM   #21
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Guys, Can you tell me what is great about an egg. After I read your posts I looked up the advertisement about eggs on the net but the price is really high compared to a normal grill. I haven had any experience with it or even seen one. Airperson
Old 07-30-2012, 07:09 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Big Green eggs are great. They are made of a ceramic and are great for holding a temp. They're also greatly heavy and expensive. I love cooking on one, one of my best friends has one and we've done everything from burgers to pizza on it. I, however, don't have the pockets for an egg right now and wanted something to take with me camping. I bought me a Chargriller Kamodo, basically a metal copy of an egg. It's a double wall, insulated construction with porcelain enameled interior shell. I have not been disappointed yet. Last Friday I smoked a brisket all day and Saturday morning I cooked breakfast on it and threw on 16 leg quarters.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1587241471.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	498.6 KB
ID:	164189

I smoked them for six hours at 200 or so degrees and you couldn't pick them up without the bones falling out. The best part is, my thirteen year old son and I can pick it up and load it back in the truck for the ride home, it's easily half the weight of a large Green Egg. I highly recommend looking at one for camping trips, I know mine will be sitting not to far from my airstream wherever we are!
Old 07-30-2012, 07:19 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Here's another vote for chimneys and no fluids - been doin' it for years and only use fluid to start a balky campfire!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I have had my green eggs now for about 5 plus years. I started with one large and then bought another large and a small. As I mentioned earlier the small walked to my daughters house and has not been seen since.

Yes they are expensive and heavy however I never had to replace any parts as I did with my gas grills.

I also found them to be very forgiving when cooking. I believe this is because it keeps the moisture in the food even if you over cook it.

They hold temp great. I have cooked Boston butt for 18 hours and ribs for 5 hours and the egg will keep the same low temperature during that time. It can reach very high temperatures upward of 600 t0 700 degrees but I usually cook between 350 to 500 range. I have also cooked steaks, fish, venison, chicken, lamb, pork, pizza etc. You can also bake on it.

You do not have to soak your smoking wood if you keep the dome closed nor do you have to add charcoal if cooking long and slow. I have cooked 18 hours or more without adding wood charcoal.

There is a learning curve but not all that long and although the outside does not get hot you must be very careful when opening the dome especially right after lighting to prevent flashbacks. You should not use briguetts as the lighter fluid can be absorbed into the ceramic and that will effect the ease of the food.

As to size I recommend the large as in my opinion it is the most versatile but if you are cooking only for two the small is great. The very small one, in my opinion, is to small but certainly small enough to take camping and one person can lift it. The weights of each size is on their website.

There are a number of websites that you can visit or join that can provide more info.

Hope this helps and if you have more questions please send me a PM.

Great grilling and camping
John
Old 07-31-2012, 01:26 PM   #25
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
URNMOR,. Thanks again for your great information. You have got my attention. I will go check one out. I am always over cooking food. Airperson
Old 08-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #26
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
The price is ......... out of sight for me.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
No doubt they are expensive, however, I use ours year round. They retain the heat in the cold but that said i would not purchase one unless I was going to use it frequently. I use ours a minimum of two times and as many as five times during the week. and as at least 3 or 4 times a weeks as it is unaffected by the weather.