Old 07-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
All the fans have screens, but dust and insect parts can get through them.

I asked a guy at Fantastic Fans whether a fan cover had ever blown off. He said they will send you a new one if it did, though it was very rare. I don't want to tape over the hole if one did blow off, but my wife decided to keep them closed anyway. Since I've had problems with the bathroom fan leaking, anything that stresses it—like driving with it open—is not something I want to test.

I've thought of getting the covers, but didn't want to spend the money and put more screws in the top of the trailer.

In an hour, a trailer can get very hot, though less so where you live. You could run the A/C at 60˚ before you leave and cool the interior, but I suspect it would heat up anyway. With a high ambient temp on a sunny day, these trailers are not well insulated and bringing more hot air in isn't going to make much difference. Think about a car on an 85˚ day with just the vents open—it gets hot fast. Faster with the vents closed, of course.

So it doesn't make a lot of difference I think. The thing I worry about when we're traveling is medications in the trailer—they are supposed to be at room temperature, but the trailer can be more than 100˚. I have to remember to keep them in the fridge.

The best thing would be flow through ventilation like cars and trucks. A vent above the front and back windows with a filter at the front one. No fan necessary. But I doubt that's what you need right now.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I've been driving with the shower and bath vents open and the fantastics cranked about an inch. It's been helpful. I noticed that the bath and shower vents seem to have rain caps over them. Could those just be left open all the time? It's stored outside - wondering if that would be beneficial? Thanks!
We close the bathroom and shower vents when we store ours.

Occasionally, if we travel through a serious rain storm, the bathroom and shower have gotten wet.

2012 30' International Serenity
1947 Spartan Manor
2005 28' Safari LS - traded
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:11 PM   #17
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by dkrug View Post
We close the bathroom and shower vents when we store ours.

Occasionally, if we travel through a serious rain storm, the bathroom and shower have gotten wet.
But on the other hand, if you're going to leave a vent open in the rain, that's the one to leave open. The shower is designed to get wet, after all, unlike the rest of the trailer. And any water that does get in ends up safely in your gray tank where it can do no harm.

WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote