Old 11-25-2002, 06:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Question Traveling US 395 in CA during mid-March?

I'll be going from Ridgecrest, CA to Bishop, CA via US 395 in mid-March. How is the weather/snow/freezing rain during this time of yr? There are 3 passes:Picture Rock, Parker Mt. & Vines Hill. Any infor on these passes?
Many Thanks,
John

Old 11-25-2002, 07:14 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Bishop , California
Bishop weather

John, I've been living in Bishop since '79 but that would be one month I wouldn't venture a guess regarding whether or not it might snow. Could be a beautiful 75 but I've also seen wht the skiers called "Miracle March" when it snowed or rained 29 days in March.
Tony

Old 11-25-2002, 07:20 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
You will start off in High Desert country, dry somewhat rolling terrain, east of the Sierras. Very stark, beautiful country. Up through Red Rock Canyon (stop here if you can, nice forest service campground, boondock only) fairly easy, long grade through pass. All of the passes are fairly easy, long gradual climbs. During March you can expect weather, rain mostly, you will not be high enough for much snow, if any. Once you get into the Owens Valley, you might encounter winds, possible dust storm if it's a dry winter, which it's looking to be. The Sierra's on the west will be covered in snow. You'll pass Manzanar (Japenese Internment Camp during WWII). There are several great campgrounds in and around Bishop and throughout the Owens Valley.
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 04:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Thanks for the input!!
Old 11-26-2002, 07:43 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Don't miss this!!

Just on the southern end of the town of Lee Vining there is a Mobil gas station. They have a small market and a restaurant called the Whoa Nellie Deli. This place is rated **** for gourmet food. Try the specials they are all excellent. You can also watch the trapeze artists practice. You can try it too.

It is on the west side of the road up off the highway.

We adjust our driving schedule to allow us to eat there!!!

Ciao, Brian

Old 11-26-2002, 08:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Will Do!

Brian,

Thanks for the referral! This is the type of information that makes this site cool!
John
Old 11-27-2002, 12:20 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
If you are continuing north on 395 beyond Bishop (Lee Vining is north) then you will increase your chances of hitting more severe weather (snow) as you will climb the Sherwin (Sherman?) Grade into the mountains. This again is a long, fairly straight climb and will take you high enough that snow is more likely, but, again the country is beautiful. City of Mammoth Lakes is very touristy/ski oriented, but there is a nice RV campground just as you enter town, and June Lake, a bit further north is still kind of sleepy, with a small RV campground, then on to Lee Vining.
Old 11-27-2002, 01:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Nevada's US95?

Rick,

Since I'm returning via US395 on the way back from OR, I'm thinking of taking US95(east of Death Valley) from LV to Reno and then over to Eureka. Then N. on US101 to OR. Weather conditions will be milder on the way back and I've never been thru Nevada's desert.
I'm not a fan of snow on mountain passes while pulling the trailer.
John
Old 11-27-2002, 01:23 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
Don't blame you, John. And the Nevada desert at that time of year will be beautiful, desolate, but beautiful. Starry, starry nights! Have a great trip!