Old 08-25-2009, 10:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Traveling to Palo Duro Canyon and New Mexico

We leave this Friday, Aug. 28th for Palo Duro Canyon (Texas panhandle). Our first visit there. We leave Palo Duro Canyon Sunday, Aug. 30th and head to Santa Fe for 3 days, then to Albuquerque for 2 days, then to Elephant Butte State Park for 2 days, and then return to Austin, TX by Sept. 7th. Hopefully we will cross paths with other Airstream owners on our trip.

If anyone has suggestions on things to see and things to do ... your suggestions would be most appreciated.

Attached are some photos of some of the remodeling we've been doing to prepare our 32 ft. Excella for the trip.

We hope to take some photos on our trip and document the trip with where we stayed and what we did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Streetside 1.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	86100   Click image for larger version

Name:	Living Area 1.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	86101  

Name:	Kitchen Area 3.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	86102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bedroom with new JPA Drapes 2.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	86103  

Name:	Bathroom 3.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	356.7 KB
ID:	86104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hallway.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	86105  

Old 08-25-2009, 10:06 PM   #2

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
We were at Palo Duro last year and enjoyed the wild life. By late May it was already HOT!

Be prepared for the entrance road...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1252small.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	86106  

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
We may very well cross paths. My Tradewind is #12121. We are thinking of going to Palo Duro Canyon on an impulsive trip. To ask a dumb question, does Palo Duro make sense for a final destination for a 600mi round trip getaway? Or is it more suitable for a day or two as a part of a trip?

Frank and Mike you might want to stop at the Blue Hole in Santa Rosa NM. Clines Corners Truck Stop is an interesting old timey tourist trap gas stop and mentioned in a Lyle Lovett song but I would not eat there, I know too many of the cooks.

If we don't go to Palo Duro we may go camping in Pecos off I-25 between Santa Fe and Las Vegas NM. Then to Heron Lake for Labor day weekend.

For camping around Santa Fe I would recommend Hyde Park Memorial State Park in the Santa Fe National Forest (also a nearby National Forest Campground) or the El Rancho KOA at Eldorado NM just east of SF.

Anyone else want to go camping next week to Palo Duro or around NM? Send me a PM
Old 08-25-2009, 10:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
There are lots of great museums in beautiful downtown Santa Fe. If you like art the Georgia O'Keeffe is very nice. Don't miss the Loretto Chapel, the staircase is a wonder. If you eat out, try a place called the Shed, down by the Governors palace. If you like science, the visitor center at Los Alamos is not far and very interesting.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Thanks for the replies and suggestions so far.

Lumatic,

Hopefully we will see you in Palo Duro Canyon. Our Excella is # 1671. I checked our reservations to see which campsite we will be in ... but it didn't tell us which one. Wish I could answer your question regarding Palo Duro Canyon as a final destination for a 600 mi round trip getaway ... but I don't know. This is our first trip there. But researching it online tells me it looks pretty interesting and may offer enough activities for a couple of days.

Some of your NM park suggestions were definitely of interest to us ... but we "chickened out" ... fear of bears ... and not knowing what to do if encountering one. So we opted to stay in the lower elevations in busy RV Parks. I know ... we will really miss some great sites ... but I honestly got kind of freaked out reading some of the forum member experiences with bears.

Hopefully we will hear from others that will possibly want to meet in Palo Duro Canyon or in NM.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
Thanks for the replies and suggestions so far.

Some of your NM park suggestions were definitely of interest to us ... but we "chickened out" ... fear of bears ... and not knowing what to do if encountering one.
Don't let the bears stop you. I have only encountered one in NM and that was his behind end running away from me. Only black bears in NM they are pretty shy. The only thing to really watch out for is getting yourself in between a mama and her babies. Bears can do some damage scrounging but the rangers do a good job of keeping them away from developed campsites. The rangers have a saying "a fed bear is a dead bear". So watch your food any you will be OK.

The bear encounter technique is back away, don't run. If the bear starts to approach yell and scream and wave your arms. Talk to a park ranger they can advise of any local bear sightings.

Back in the days when dumps were dumps and not sanitary landfills the local Saturday night outing in the Adirondacks was to go to the dump and watch the bears. My wife wouldn't let me go to the dump anymore though because I used to come back with more stuff than I left with.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:02 AM   #7
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
Here's my post on Palo Duro...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...tml#post724216

Assignment of sites is first-come, first-served, as with all Texas state parks. You'll pull into the ranger station and they'll assign it before you go in, so better if you pick yours in advance.

As noted, we like the Mesquite camp site area - its far away from 'amenties' like stores and amphitheatres, but has the best views.

Good luck.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:12 AM   #8
DnS
DnS

2008 30' Classic
Crosby , Texas
Lumatic,

Have you ever been to a town in the Adirondacks named Tupper Lake?
Old 08-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #9

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Here's a page that has some Palo Duro photos from our 2008 trip
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...a-41824-3.html
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Tin Diesel and HiHo,

Thanks for the links to your previous trips. The information and photos are really great and helpful. Hopefully site # 88 in Palo Duro Canyon will be available (or one in the area). And the photo of where the bear took it it out on the tree ... well one more example of why we decided to stay out of the mountains away from the bears. Uhgggg....
Old 08-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
"...If anyone has suggestions on things to see and things to do ... your suggestions would be most appreciated. ..." If you are in the Santa Fe area, don't miss Bandelero Ntl. Mnmt. Beautiful, mysterious,...awe inspiring to walk the site, to imagine the life there centuries ago, and to climb the ladders and sit a while inside one of the cliff dwellings--a time warp. Very accessible. Gives me goosebumps still today to remember. It's beautiful country you'll be touring. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:33 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Hey Frank and Mike,

Lumatic in a previous reply mentioned Santa Rosa ,NM, now one of our favorite places to stay when we cross the country during the summer. During our stay at Santa Rosa Lake State Park I learned that natural springs not only supply the Blue Hole with 2.5 million gallons of spring water per day, but natural springs in Colonias (10 miles north of Santa Rosa) also supply the water for the town and state park. Sweet spring water is hard to find in the west. In the future, this is where we will fill up our fresh water tank. The state park is run by the Army Corp of Engineers, and the head ranger (or is it engineer?) is a wealth of information about the community.

BTW, are others as concerned as I am about the taste of drinking water. I get grumpy if my morning coffee is ruined by bad water, and a charcoal filter really does not help very much. The well water at our house in North Carolina is so good that I can not leave on any trip without a full fresh water tank.

Bye
Paul
WBCCI #5182
AIR # 6050
RossFam05BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:48 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnS View Post
Lumatic,

Have you ever been to a town in the Adirondacks named Tupper Lake?
I've spent a lot of time in Tupper Lake sailing and canoeing.

Incidentally Tupper Lake is where Tupperware comes from, or at least came from.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Frank and Mike, if you like off beat visit Tinkertown in Cedarcrest. This guy made a regular city of mechanical minature. He's passed on now but his place is a funky museum. You can then continue and drive to the top of Sandia Crest a 10.000 ft + mountain that overlooks Albuquerque. You can also take the world's longest tram up to the top of Sandia Crest from the Albuquerque side which drops you off a short distance from a pretty good restaurant.