Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Rockwood , Ontario
Smile Traveling To Newfoundland From Ontario

Starting to plan our big trip for next summer, and I need some suggestions as to best routes (meaning good roads), and great campsites. I think we will take 3 weeks or so. We plan to start from near the Mississauga area going easterly through Ontario, into Quebec(but maybe through VT, NH, and Maine), then through New Brunswick, PEI, Cape Breton, then Newfoundland.

I don't really know if that is enough time and don't want to feel rushed. As far as driving time in a day maybe 8 hrs tops, but would like to spend 2 or 3 nights at really good stops along the way, if possible.
Open to words of wisdom from others who have travelled this route, and any advice is welcome for us newbies!
breezyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Lots to see and do in the locations mentioned. I've done a trip from Ottawa to Newfoundland in an RV a couple of times, and many times without an RV. (Myself and my wife are from Newfoundland).

A couple of questions to help planning...

Have you done three week trips before? How many km would you expect to cover without being rushed?

We expect to cover about 3500km per week - but we love to drive and cover a lot of ground. 500km per day is a tough pace for most. (we covered 15k km on our 4wk trip out west this past summer).

Are there must see places on your list?

Quebec City,
Saguenay,
Gaspe
Bay of Fundy (NB)
Cavendish Beach (PEI)
Cape Breton Trails (NS)
Gros Morne National Park (NL)
L'Anse aux Meadows (NL)
Twillingate (NL)
Fogo Island (NL)
Terra Nova National Park (NL)
St. John's (NL)
St. Pierre (France)

There are two ferry options to Newfoundland. The longer travels from North Sydney NS to Argentia on the south coast of the Avalon Peninsula closer to St. John's. The shorter takes you into Port Aux Basque on the South West corner which is more convenient for visiting Gros Morne.

You will want to plan ahead and book early to secure a spot on the ferry and get a cabin. I would not take the trip without booking a cabin. The short trip is about 6 hours while the longer trip to Argentia is 12 to 18 hours. You cannot stay in your car for the trip.

Many more items to discuss - but would need more input on what you like to do...
MaxTow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Rockwood , Ontario
Travelling to Newfoundland

Wow, lots more to think about! I have never done a 3 week vacation in a trailer, I am a newbie and we only did 3 trips this year, and Kingston was the furthest.
I will look at the 'must do' places, and look at some of your recommendations. I know I have to secure campsites, but I didn't think of the ferry so far in advance, and thanks for the cabin recommendation.
We have never been out east and really look forward to it. Would I save lots of time by travelling via USA? I love driving and don't tire that easily, but I do take lots of brakes to stretch the legs and check things out around the Airstream. So 8 hours would include all the stopping etc.

Yes, I will be happy to get more input as the plans unfold.

Thanks a bunch.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Lots and lots to see and do. Golden Arm campground in N Sydney NS is a great campground only a couple of miles from the ferry. Good place to spend the night before the ferry ride. Grand Codroy Campground in Doyles, NL is a good campground for when you get off the ferry. Pippy Park in St. Johns is a great place to spend a while. With only 3 weeks my thought would be to get to NL by the quickest route possible and sped as much time in NL as possible. Save the in between for other trips. We went both up and back on the short ferry from N Sydney Several groups took the long ferry back from ST. Johns. That saves 2 or 3 days driving if you go though to St. Johns, You need to get the ferry reservations well in advance and stick to that schedule. There are lots of campgrounds, but the ferry is the controlling factor (and the most expense). In places the roads can be rough enough to slow you down quite a bit so do not plan it really tight. In NL we found that we needed to pack a lunch for day trips. Lots of beautiful things to see, but not as many places to eat lunch in some of the small fishing communities as you are probably used to.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Nova Scotia is chock full of things to see and do.

One place we will never forget is the Fortress of Louisbourg. Originally founded in 1713 on a bay that had seen European visitors since 1590, it is a huge place with tons of interesting history. Since the Federal Government spearheaded a partial restoration of the immense site in the 1960s, it has taken on the look and feel of a real town from the early 18th century.

Don't miss it!

Parks Canada - Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site - Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site of Canada
Old 11-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Nova Scotia is chock full of things to see and do.

One place we will never forget is the Fortress of Louisbourg. Originally founded in 1713 on a bay that had seen European visitors since 1590, it is a huge place with tons of interesting history. Since the Federal Government spearheaded a partial restoration of the immense site in the 1960s, it has taken on the look and feel of a real town from the early 18th century.

Don't miss it!

Parks Canada - Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site - Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site of Canada
Completely agree - a wonderful place to visit. In NS there is also Annapolis Valley.

Not much time to be gained by going through the US. You end up being on back roads through Maine to get back to New Brunswick. Fastest way is through Quebec, south of the St. Lawrence. Mostly all divided highway now through New Brunswick. There was one last section from Rivere Du Loop QC to Edmonston NB that was under construction last time through (about a year ago).

(Side Note: I believe Edmonston has been under a state of constant road construction for the last 30 years. It seems that every time I've driven through dating back to 1979 when as a kid I drove with my parents coast to coast - there's been road construction in Edmonston)

A few notes about going to Newfoundland - try and avoid driving at night. There is a huge moose population. Not a problem during the day, but it can become a problem at night on the roads.

And pack warm clothes. Even in July and August depending on the wind direction it can get cold and damp. Lots of layers and don't forget the hats and gloves.

And don't let this discourage you from going - it's a unique spot. Well worth the trip.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
A great app to use for planning a trip is Allstream's Camp & RV. It comes for Android and Apple devices and works best on a tablet - I use ours on the iPad.

It has reviews, locations and maps for campgrounds ranging from private to Provincial Parks. It also marks dump stations and Walmarts that allow overnight stays.

Personally I think 3 weeks to NF is rushing it. We did a three week trip some years back, PEI, Cabot Trail, Nova Scotia and back. We had just about enough time to see what we wanted to see without rushing. Were it me, I'd either just go to NF, or not go at all and see PEI and Nova Scotia instead.

It's a wonderful trip.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Rockwood , Ontario
Travelling to Newfoundland

Wow!, so much great advice from everyone on this forum. I think you have all saved me some time right at the beginning planning stages. I will now have to refocus on my final destination with the time frame that I am planning.

And thanks for the recommendations of some of the sights to see. Are there any must see's along the way that have been amazing? Any roads that were nail biters?
This will be a huge adventure for us, and I am sure there will be some great people to meet and sights to see.

I can't wait for it to all come together!
Old 11-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Have you visited the old walled city of Quebec City? Just a fascinating place, similar to an old European city, with excellent bi-lingual tour guides. When we visited there (for a conference) we didn't have the AS with us, but I would think you could find a nice RV park nearby, drop the AS, and then drive to the parking area and tour the old city on foot.

We drove a bit east for a day's outing along the north shore of the St. Lawrence, and noticed places offering whale-watching tours as we drove north along the gulf.

We've not been to the Thousand Islands area of NY state, but it is supposed to be beautiful and perhaps not far off your route.

I think we'd do this as a loop route.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I think a loop route would be perfect.

Go north to Montreal, then leave the highway at Trois-Rivières and take the 138 all along the northern banks of the St. Lawrence to Quebec City. Warning, the villages along the 138 are full of antique stores, so if you're susceptible to these kinds of thing, keep your eyes on the road

From Quebec, east to the coast and then south, return via the US. Sounds like an awesome trip.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Newfoundland is a big destination all by itself - 3 weeks, including travel to and from - is not a lot of time to do it justice - particularly if you plan on taking in a lot of other sights along the way. My own gentle suggestion would be to make Newfoundland the primary focus of the trip - then - at some future date - take in New Brunswick, PEI and Nova Scotia.

Newfoundland is an incredible place to visit - gorgeous scenery, deep culture and the friendliest folks you will ever meet - it's a safe bet that if you don't take the time to do your visit justice you will regret it.

Enjoy your trip (no matter what your choices),

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Not sure I can add much other than Maine coast and parks around Bar Harbor and Orchard Beach might be worth a visit.. Chiming in to subscribe to this thread as we are thinking about same trip as well next summer, though with longer run to get to New England.. Tried to get WBCCI Itinerary or any tips from their Viking Trail Caravan (8 weeks...) and they are unwilling to share.. Trip sold out in 2014 anyway..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #13
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Too bad my old man is not around. He liked talking about his RV trip to Gas Bay and the Odirandocks.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Atlanta , Georgia
I am also planning on Newfoundland in July-Aug but coming from GA, plus planning on 6-8 weeks. What are thoughts on a loop through NL with ferry to/from the two options? Is there much worth visiting on the West Coast other than Gros Morne? Which direction would your start, Port Aux Basque or Argentia? We spent 10 days in Nova Scotia / PEI many years ago in a rented camper and loved it. We will likely spend a few days back in NS before heading up to NL.
Soul Food II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Doesn't matter whether you go east to west or the other way around.

On the east coast there's St. John's...oldest city in North America. St. Mary's bird sanctuary, Brigus, Cape Race.

In central there's Twillingate and Fogo Island.

West Coast there's Gross Morne (Rocky Harbour , Western Brook Pond, Shallow Bay) L'Anse Meadows.

Enjoy the trip...
Old 12-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Kingston , Nova Scotia
East Coast

Hello Breezyway
I live North of Toronto and have been going to the east coast for well over 10 years now and I would say go through the USA. I have done the other ways but I find this way less stressful.
I cross at Queenston Lewiston bridge and take 190 to 90 to 95 bypassing Boston.
Crossing back into Canada at Woodstock NB
90 is a toll highway but the total in tolls will be less then the extra you pay for fuel in Canada. I think it could be a hour longer over all but smooth highway and nice gas stations to get on and off at.
I find this to be the best route for me and like I said I have used it for years.
Lots of nice camp grounds along the way. Plus you can stop at LL bean and do a little shopping as well.

Geo
Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
Hello Breezyway
I live North of Toronto and have been going to the east coast for well over 10 years now and I would say go through the USA. I have done the other ways but I find this way less stressful.
I cross at Queenston Lewiston bridge and take 190 to 90 to 95 bypassing Boston.
Crossing back into Canada at Woodstock NB
90 is a toll highway but the total in tolls will be less then the extra you pay for fuel in Canada. I think it could be a hour longer over all but smooth highway and nice gas stations to get on and off at.
I find this to be the best route for me and like I said I have used it for years.
Lots of nice camp grounds along the way. Plus you can stop at LL bean and do a little shopping as well.

Geo

I could not agree more.

The 401 to Montreal is a pain in the neck, then you'll have to go through Montreal, which is an interesting experience at the best of times - even without a trailer in tow.

You'll miss out on Quebec City, which is a bit of a shame, but then again you'll also miss on the mind numbing trip through Eastern Quebec and most of New Brunswick. The US route is far more scenic.

When we had the time, we've even taken the slow route via Adirondack - 90 to Utica, then the 8 across the Park and then just meander east until you hit the 95 again. It's a slow way to travel, but it's a beautiful part of the world. I love the northeast.

If we do stay in Canada we used to drive up to Quebec City on day one, about an 10 hour drive from home, then do the run to the coast the next day. Of course, that was before we had kids - or an Airstream for that matter - these days I'd plan a minimum of three, if not four days, for the same trip.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #18
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I have a different take - if you have not been to Quebec City, or followed the route East around the Gaspe', then it would be a shame to miss it. When we visit QC, we camp at Camping Transit at Levis. Then we leave the truck at the ferry dock ($5) and ride the ferry to the base of the city. If you enjoy walking, this is one of the most pleasant places on the continent, IMHO. We love eating unusual fare, most recently rabbit at the (something) Lapin restaurant below the citadel. It's all very exotic for a Virginia country boy.

The drive around Gaspe' is beautiful. We camped overnite at Cap Chat (they offer a lobster dinner), then at Tete d'Indien near Perce'. Nicest folks ever. Then to PEI and Nova Scotia.

We are thinking about going to NF this year or next - we considered the WBCCI caravans but they are booked from here to forever.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
We're heading up to Newfoundland this summer as well, probably in August. We'll be pulling our 30' Flying Cloud. We travel with dogs so we'll be taking the shorter North Sydney - Port aux Basques ferry. We're retired so no need to worry about sticking to a schedule. Is it possible to catch a ferry on a nice weather day and not have reservations? I worry about the dogs cooped up in the trailer during a rough passage. We don't mind waiting a few days for an optimal day.
Barefootdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #20
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We went to Newfoundland 9 years ago and I wish we'd have given ourselves more time—Newfoundland is big! It doesn't look like it tucked into the corner of a map of the Atlantic Provinces, but it is 500 miles (or a gazillion km.) from Port au Basque to St. Johns.

The TCH runs through the middle of things, but there are lots of roads to the coast—this means a lot of traveling to see everything, especially the Northern Penn. We only had about 10 days and that was not enough. It is not only the sights—national parks, St. John's, the bird sanctuary near St. Mary's, but the feel of the place and, of course, the people.

Canadians have a deserved reputation for being nice people, but the people of Newfoundland are even nicer. They mostly live along the coasts (and half of them in St. John's) and you have to take all those side roads off the TCH to see for yourself. In between you will see endless bogs, trees, rivers and more bogs. Many of the roads were in poor condition—often heaved in all sorts of directions, so travel was not quick. The TCH was 2 lanes.

I think there are 500,000 people and a moose for each one. Their only predator is the automobile and the thought of a 1,000 lbs. of moose coming through my windshield is daunting. They blend into the dark and most likely are moving at dawn and dusk, but you can find them standing in the middle of the road at any time looking at tons of steel hurtling at them and then they may casually move as if nothing were happening. They have poor eyesight and aren't too bright either, so they probably don't really understand a car or truck is a threat. Hit a deer and mess up your car, hit a moose and mess yourself up, probably fatally.

Aside from the moose thing, Newfoundland is a delight. Super warm sweaters at low prices are a bonus—try to find the co-op store in Stephensville (not easy, we stumbled on it). And, Newfoundlanders (or Newfies) do not have a reputation for healthy eating, so we found few good restaurants. But you can bring your own food.

If you can find more time, you can get to Labrador—I think the highway around a good part of it has been open for a few years, but is surely devoid of most tourist services. You can drive around to Goose Bay and come back through Quebec, but I think this would take a lot of time. I've wanted to do it for years, but still haven't.

We hope to get back there in a few years. During the short tourist season, the ferry probably needs reservations. They will cost a lot! We went early, so we made reservations a week beforehand and the ship was pretty empty. There was still ice on the Bay of St. Lawrence and icebergs were starting to come south around the island.

They used to permit people to camp in the roadside gravel pits—don't know if they still do.

If you want the flavor of Newfoundland, read the Shipping News. The plot is kind of far fetched, but you'll learn about the culture. Then see the movie. The province had excellent free road maps and tourist booklets—order them soon. It was hard to find much in travel books about Newfoundland—it is kind of an afterthought at the back of a book on the Atlantic Provinces. Maybe there's more available now.

So, get there fast and then slow down and enjoy it. Once you're there, you'll be one of 2 or 3 Airstreams in the whole province. One is owned by a Forum member, not sure about the other one.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote