Old 02-18-2015, 09:24 PM   #15
GlamperGirl

Head southern route and come in from Oregon- I-84--The Columbia River Gorge area is incredible! Make Hood River your target. There are RV parks and gorgeous campgrounds. Wineries abound, The gorgeous Mt. Hood up I-35. Restaurants and small town living. Fly Fishing abound at the Deschutes River. White Water Rafting on the White Salmon river or the Klickitat river- all the same rivers that drop down into the Columbia River. All within an hour drive from basing in Hood River area. You can spend days and days in this area.
April 11-16 Hood River County ¬Ľ Hood River Valley Blossom Time

Drive North from the 84 to I-5 through Portland to Washington and The Olympic Peninsula (about 5 hours).

Washington-Olympic Forest as mentioned. Lake Quinault Lodge- historic site. Has an ok RV Campground down the road a bit It is on the Lake and it is a gorgeous place. One restaurant only or it is the Lodge. It is on your way to Klaloch. Don't bother with Forks.
Yes Hoh Rainforest is nice but the road is under construction so you may not get through.
Many other options there.
Check it first. If you go all the way to the Olympic coast make it to Hurricane Ridge and hike the stunning views.

Loop out of the Olympic Peninsula. You have a northern route or southern choice. You have to take a ferry back if you go north.
Or drive south and no ferry or go in the middle towards Bremerton, Poulsbo (Cute town great food, breweries and wine).

Heading north you can go to Port Angeles. Historic and pretty view of Canada. You can hop a ferry and head into Canada. If you are taking that northern route you can stop in Sequim and Fort Warden, Port Townsend. Then you are going to the Edmonds Ferry and crossing back into Seattle. From there you can head north to the TULIPS! It is CHAOTIC. So park the trailer far away and get up EARLY! You will be in back up traffic. It's gorgeous. Blooms- have to time it just right!

Or you head south towards Bremerton/Seabeck. Aircraft carriers and Naval base.

Right near there is

Port Orchard- Manchester St. Park is on your way back from the Olympics Loop. Cute town and on your way to another Ferry option to go back to the Seattle side.

Don't bother with Aberdeen or Hoquiam.
Ocean Shores has alot of options.

I wouldn't do -I-90 because it just isn't that pretty once you hit Spokane and drive towards Seattle. You can head south from there to find the I-84 route.

The roads are nice for now and we are having stellar weather.
There are so many great places.
If you are still here Fathers Day weekend hit up the Vintage trailer rally in Roslyn, WA.

Be safe and enjoy

Old 02-18-2015, 09:33 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Francisco , Indiana
Northwest

Wow! Thanks for so many great suggestions. Sounds like a person could spend a lot of time in the area.
Hickory

Old 02-18-2015, 09:38 PM   #17
GlamperGirl

It is very nice to live here. In my time I have lived in the UK, Texas, Arizona and Hawaii. I always find my way back to Oregon or Washington.

You will love Oregon for lighthouses. But that is south and you would opt to not do the Olympic Peninsula. The Oregon coast is awesome. I would opt for all Oregon and find the Tulips there too. South of Portland when you leave the Gorge area again! On your way to the coast for lighthouses. And wineries http://www.woodenshoe.com/events/tulip-fest/

The Washington Tulip Festival is right off I-5.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:37 AM   #18
gpt
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
well you have now received a boat load of advice. probably time for you to sort and decide on your primary objectives: tulips and light houses? as you can tell, there is much more to see and do in the PNW than most people think is possible. once you have cleared the I5 corridor, things settle down and get pretty quiet. the metro areas of Seattle and Portland are most unpleasant and can led to heart burn so best to plan around avoiding them as much as possible.

it is quite easy to turn the northern route, I90, into something much more interesting once you enter WA but time here may be more important to you than more travelling. one of the more interesting things to consider is following the Columbia r. from the Canadian border on south. wonderful state run campgrounds that will just amaze you. but that could be another trip for you.

having lived in the PNW since 1960, i am still discovering areas i have not explored in WA so i would advise you to target your desires for this trip, sort all of the good info above, check your paper maps, and lay out a route that meets your goals.

happy travelling. happy to provide you with my phone numbers if you head for the Olympic Peninsula. a couple of the spots i mentioned are minutes from our front door.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:36 PM   #19
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
I'd suggest I-90, but with the caveat that Highway 2 will take you to the southern edge of Glacier National Park, and avoid Lookout Pass at the Montana/Idaho border. You can hook up with highway 95 in Bonner's Ferry, and just take it south to Coeur d'Alene, ID, if you wish. Sandpoint and Coeur d'Alene are nice resort communities. Not that towing will be a problem over Lookout Pass, but there's always more risk of ice and snow at higher elevations. Not much of Glacier NP will be open at that time of year, but the west entrance to the park will let you go in a short ways.

The Snoqualmie Pass over the Cascades can get a lot of snow, but it is a really well-plowed and signed part of I-90 into Seattle, if you take that route.

You will probably be OK without winterizing, but you can expect freezing temperatures at night through the mountains and northern Plains.

Snow tires are advised and sometimes required, still, in late March for some of the mountain passes.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:27 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Consider reserving now at the Fidalgo Bay RV resort. Great location on the water, close to the tulips and La Conner, Whidbey and Anacortes. Lots to do and see, and the resort is quiet and scenic.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:47 AM   #21
gpt
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
let me point out again, the PNW is in the middle of spring right now in February. mountain snows are virtually non existent, freezing levels are hovering around 9,000'. with the exceptions of the passes i posted above as being closed, you will not encounter any difficulties crossing the cascades no matter your route. could things change? sure but the long range forecast has us high and dry which should make an 'unusual' summer maybe putting us in the same condition as CA.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:25 PM   #22
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
If you decide to take I-90 west past Spokane, Airstream of Spokane, which is just off the Interstate, offers free overnight parking w/ electrical on their lot for any Airstreamers.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:01 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
Dont know if you are AAA members but they have a map of the Pacific Northwest that show every lighthouse in this part of the country. The title is Oregon and Washington Coast by GM Johnson maps.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Just another tid-bit, the highest 2 months of snowfall in Colorado is in March and April. I was once stuck in western Montana for 5 days waiting on a blizzard to stop as they had the main highway closed. Finally on the 6th day the skies cleared and they had received 56" of snow. I followed the rotary snow plow across Henry's Lake Flat to get home to Island Park, Idaho. That was on the 28th of March.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:50 AM   #25
gpt
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
interesting, the weekend forecast is for mountain snows down to 2,000'. that means ALL of the cascade passes will see snow on the roadway. of course this is just a forecast so take it for what its worth. more accurate info can be obtained at: Welcome to the Washington State Department of Transportation

bookmark the site as it will be your best source of up to the minute information.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:20 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Looks like we're about done with the February bluebird stretch and Wnter #2 is starting. Very often more snow than Winter #1. Be careful out there.

John
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:39 PM   #27
GlamperGirl

I am very excited to hear what your plans are and your reports along the way! It has rained today in Seattle- It seems to be getting rare it does that. Chilly too.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:08 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
thsi is a great campground - with a lighthouse
Dungeness Recreation Area

WA Campgrounds - reservations
Reservations | Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission..

Tulip Festival - I bet they will be early this year
http://www.lovelaconner.com/skagit-v...ulip-festival/