Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2013, 01:17 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
corrales , New Mexico
Smile traveling from NM to Florida in April

Any advise?

We don't care which way we go through Texas, we have 3 nights to get to Florida.

Thanks!
Airstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:17 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Welcome to the AirForums!

The answer to your question depends on where in New Mexico you're starting from, where in Florida you're going, whether you prefer interstate highways or non-interstate, and whether you're looking for activities or scenic stops along the way.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
4 days of driving you best get on route 10 and drive because you could be looking at 400+ mile days from central NM to central Fl.
If you are headed for the Mouse House or lower Fl. 10 to 75.
Try to stay off the Fl. turnpike because of high tolls.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
We just drove I-75 and I-10 from Sarasota to Tallahassee and it was a pleasure with great rest stops, smooth surface and three lanes.
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:59 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Like the others have said, your route is dependent upon where in Florida You are headed. Once you hit the Florida state line on I-10, it is 360 miles across to Jacksonville. Then if your were continuing to Miami on I-95, You're looking at another 370 miles. If you were to continue to Key West, that's another 150 miles. That would be 880 miles which is about the same as across Texas on I-10. Pulling a trailer, you could easily spend nearly 3 days just getting through Florida, not to mention getting to Florida from New Mexico.

With the time that you have allowed for the trip, you're pretty much going to have to stay on I-10 and keep moving.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
We just made that trip over the holidays, Phoenix to Ft. Lauderdale, and spent 18 days getting there and 8 days coming back. It's the journey, not the destination.

We have done it in 4 days, driving 12 hours a day stopping only for fuel and pulling over to sleep for the night. NOT FUN. Only did it because we were moving and had to make a house closing.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #7

2012 Interstate Coach
Corrales is just outside of Albuquerque, right?

In that case, I-40 to Amarillo.
US-287 to Fort Worth.
TX-114 through Dallas-Fort Worth.
A very short few miles on I-35 to I-30.
I-30 to US-80.
US-80 to I-20.
I-20 to Shreeveport.
I-49 to Opelousas.
US-190 to Baton Rouge.
I-12 to Slidell.
I-10 from there to the Florida panhandle.

Google Maps will try to route you on I-20 all the way to Jackson, MS, but I try to avoid I-20 between Shreeveport and Jackson as a matter of principle. Unless they've done major roadwork in the past year or two, I-20 through Louisiana is terrible, hence the routing on I-49.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
Silver Fern

1994 34' Excella
Berwyn , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to mcdowellc
If you're looking for recommended places to stop along Rt 10 - in FL I'd suggest TopSail (state park) in Destin, FL. Beautiful location, full hookups and cheap rates. In Panama City Beach, FL we stay at Pine Glen - very nice set up and reasonable rates. We've stayed at the KOA in New Orleans (not far off Rt 10) and find it convenient (they have a shuttle service into the French Qtr - at least they did) and standard KOA set up. Can make other FL recommendations, but as others have said - depends on where you want to go in FL.
mcdowellc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Made the Trip Several Times (Pulling an Airstream)

From Corrales:
1-25 S. to I-40
I-40 E. to Clines Corners
285 S. to Ft. Stockton
I-10 East to Florida

I've tried taking I-40 east to Amarillo and dropping south;
And I-20 east to Shreveport and dropping south;
But to me, there are few north-south highways more pleasant than 285 right here in NM.
Hope this helps, and happy trails whichever route you take!

P.S. I-20 between Shreveport and Jackson practically destroyed my 1976 Safari. If it hasn't been improved, I would never do that again.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
corrales , New Mexico
Talking Thanks for the help!

We are starting from just North of Albuquerque, NM and our destination is Grayton Beach State Park in Florida. We can take four nights to get there, so hopefully not too much hurry up, but not a slow go for sure.

Is there anything we should be sure to see as we drive along the way? I thought we could plan to stay in Texas State Parks?

Just in the planning part, I suppose we could even add one more night to the trip to cut the driving up more.

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #11
Lost in America

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
1400 miles/4days=350 miles per day. That's doable. Palo Duro Canyon, TX is worth a stop. And so is New Orleans if you like food, but that takes a day or two to sample.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
corrales , New Mexico
Hello! Our destination is Grayton Beach where we want to stay for a few days. Then, we want to head towards New Orleans for the Jazz Fest.
I guess if we add a day to get to Grayton we won't have to travel so much each day. Once we get to Grayton, we have 6 or 7 days there.

The beaches look amazing!
Old 02-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
corrales , New Mexico
We plan to be in New Orleans for 3 days for Jazz Fest 1st weekend. I love the food! Actually, this was our original destination. The Beaches just look so inviting! This will be my Birthday at Jazz Fest, so we plan to sample all the food we can stand.
Thanks!
Old 02-26-2013, 05:41 AM   #14

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstruck View Post
We plan to be in New Orleans for 3 days for Jazz Fest 1st weekend. I love the food! Actually, this was our original destination. The Beaches just look so inviting! This will be my Birthday at Jazz Fest, so we plan to sample all the food we can stand.
Thanks!
Lots of people come into New Orleans for Jazz Fest. However, there is no RV parking permitted at the Fairgrounds, where the Jazz Fest is held.

If you don't mind commuting across the Causeway Bridge, you might want to consider staying at Fairview-Riverside State Park in Covington, LA. Not much to do at the park, but it's a good place to stash your Airstream while you explore the city. Fountainbleu State Park is also on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain, but tends to be booked up sooner for special events.

If you make reservations early enough, Bayou Segnette State Park and St. Bernard State Park are also close by, on the Westbank and downriver in Braithewaite, respectively. Commuting time to the Jazz Fest isn't much different than it would be from Fairview-Riverside.

Tickfaw State Park is about an hour outside of town, near Hammond, LA, which would make for a long commute to the Jazz Fest, but if closer places are already booked solid, it's a possibility. Ditto for Buccaneer State Park in Waveland, MS.

French Quarter RV Resort is probably booked solid already for Jazz Fest, but you can give it a try. One advantage to it is that it's close eough to where the shuttle buses run between the French Quarter and the Jazz Fest, which saves you the hassles of trying to park your tow vehicle at the Fairgrounds.

Pontchartrain Landing a campground and marina combo on the Industrial Canal. You'd be jammed in like sardines and there's not a single tree on the premises, but it's probably the closest campground to the action aside from the French Quarter RV Resort. It's a Passport America park. You have to drive through an area of town that never fully recovered from Hurricane Katrina to get to the campground, though.

Avoid Parc d'Orleans Campground on Chef Menteur Highway. Even though it's a Passport America campground, it's in a wretched neighborhood and has no security to speak of, not even a gate. I've never stayed there, but have driven past it almost daily on my way to a flood control project we were building, and was notably unimpressed.

There's also a KOA campground in River Ridge. Not much more space between trailers than at Pontchartrain Landing, but at least there are trees, and you don't have to drive through urban blight to get to and from.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:04 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If you don't have reservations already for JazzFest, they may be hard to come by. I would try to make those immediately.

However, if you get there, there will be every kind of food imaginable available, same with the music. A memorable experience.

If you need to drive hell bent for leather to Florida, staying on the interstates and driving as far as you can each day is probably your best bet. Pull into a rest stop and sleep when you are ready. The nice thing about having your trailer is that within you have everything you need,

Have a good trip, and travel safe.

Maggie
Old 02-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
corrales , New Mexico
Love your expression "hell bent for leather". I am looking at all the potential ways to get to Florida, maybe even adding a day to the trip to not have to go too far everyday. We do want to be able to enjoy the ride, and you are right! It is so great to have all you need right there. I love my airstream. Looks like we will be at the KOA for the first weekend of Jazz Fest. Great to have that settled!
Old 02-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
corrales , New Mexico
Good news for our travels to Florida! I have an extra few days to travel. So now that I can take some time in Texas I think maybe Big Bend or Palo Duro. For a night or 2. Which would be better? I still can't wait to get to the beaches!
Old 03-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #18
Lost in America

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I prefer Palo Duro over Big Bend. Big Bend is neat if you can do some of it by canoe but that all depends on the amount of snow melt. San Antonio & the Alamo is worth the time. Travelers World is the closest park to down town

Old 03-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
corrales , New Mexico
What is there to do in Austin that I should know about? Looks like there is a place to camp right in the city, a state park.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #20
Silver Fern

1994 34' Excella
Berwyn , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to mcdowellc
Grayson Beach and that area is nice. 30A - do that drive at some point. There is a town that has about 6 small airstreams set up as food stalls in the heart of the community (which I believe 30A goes right through). The beaches of Destin are worth the trip/stay. Topsail is there, in Destin. It's before Grayson as you travel easterly.
mcdowellc is offline   Reply With Quote