Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstruck View Post
What is there to do in Austin that I should know about? Looks like there is a place to camp right in the city, a state park.
When you cross into Texas, make a point of stopping in at one of their Welcome Centers. They have a whole (small) library's worth of tourist brochures and free magazines for attractions in different parts of the state. I'm sure the Austin area is well-represented.

I try to do that every time I make a trip that crosses state lines. I'm still sometimes amazed at some of the things I can learn at a welcome center.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:40 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Wainscott , The Hamptons, Long Island
It's good that you have a few extra days. Although I've never done the New Mexico to Florida straight shot I have spent a good deal of time traveling all point between. Last week I drove from Austin up to Durango, Co. Most of this was done on routes 183 and 84. I prefer the non-Interstates whenever possible in and around Texas. They are scenic, fairly empty and, depending on where exactly, you want to go they can be more direct.

As for camping near Austin: McKinney Falls is the state park actually inside Austin city limits. I spent a week there last March at this time and loved it. Very convenient to town. Perdenales Falls state park is also nice. It's in the hill country a little west of Austin near Johnson City. If you are coming into Austin from the west via 290 be sure to check out Fredericksburg. It's a great Hill Country stopover with great restaurants and shops. You can also drink beer in paper cups while walking Main Street.

There is an excellent rest area just east of Stonewall by the LBJ ranch. You are permitted to park overnight there and it has free wireless.

Getting back to the beer: (a critical part of most of my travel plans)...The Fredericksburg Brewing co in F-burg is just ok. For a real treat and better beer hit the Pecan Street Brewing Company just off 290 in Johnson City. Both the food and beer are far superior to FBC's.

I haven't spent much time recently on I-10 but can vouch for I-20 from Dallas heading east through La, Ms and Alabama. Good roads. Lincoln Parrish Park in Ruston is a great stopover.

Hope some of this ramble helps!
Beer Snob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:01 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
corrales , New Mexico
Thanks! I like beer! I think we will stick to the non Interstates as well, we have some time and why not? I will check out your suggestions for sure! I think you have given me lots to look at and I appreciate the info.
Airstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:07 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Wainscott , The Hamptons, Long Island
Good luck. My drive (in reverse for you) would be: I-40 to Santa Rosa then head south....hook a left in Fort Sumner, through Clovis. Then Lubbock, Sweetwater, Abilene, Coleman, Bangs, Brownwood, Lampasas then Austin via 183.

If you wanted to do Fredericksburg and the heart of the Hill Country (recommended) then take 283 south out of Bangs to Brady and then hit 87 south.

One of the amusing sidelights is/are the high school mascot names in some of hose small Texas towns. In Bangs it's the dragons. In another (can't remember which) it was the Gorillas. Go-Rillas!
Beer Snob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:32 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
corrales , New Mexico
Smile We made it as far as NOLA

Here we are in Bayou Segnette State Park, safe and sound. It did get a bit complicated in spots with road destruction, oops, construction, but we got here! Only lost once or twice. But it's the destination, right?

Texas was very different than I expected, the Hill Country was so colorful with the wildflowers everywhere. LBJ ranch was a great stop, very needed and it gave us a new view of the man. The Perdenales was a place I would love to camp at if we had more time and we found ourselves saying that a lot, so to my people that recommended more time getting to NOLA through Texas, you were right!

McKinney Falls near Austin was perfect and the Village Creek campground was exactly what we needed.

Great to be able to leave the hitch alone for a few days here. NOLA, we are hungry for fun and food.

I want to thank everyone that helped me put on advice to get here!

THANK YOU!
Airstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:10 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
When you go through Texas, do not miss a stop at Buc-ee's, it's an experience all it's own and a great place to gas up. No other place like it.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/buc-ees-new-braunfels-2
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote