Old 05-15-2016, 10:09 AM   #1
Rivet Master
1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Traveling from Durango to Montrose?

We love the west and in a couple of weeks will be in Durango, CO. Would it be crazy to pull a 28' N to Montrose and if not which roads?

Thanks, it looks like a beautiful area of CO that we have not seen.

badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
I recall many threads which touch on this --

FYI here are the Google search results for "Montrose Durango CO" --

And for "Telluride CO" --

I have driven in that area quite a bit and a 28' trailer should be fine except on the high mountain passes, which are covered in some of the threads linked above.

Have fun!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:03 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
texas , Texas
Been that way many times. Lots of RVs use that road. You will not make very good time, lots of switch backs, the likes of which you do not see very often. Beautiful scenery but the driver will not have time to look at anything but the road. You will probably see many others pulling or driving the route. Just give yourself plenty of time. An alternative which is mountainous but nice drive is to go from Durango to Cortez to Dolores, then up toward Telluride. Pulled a trailer up that way several times as well.
If you are reading this, it means I have made it another day!!!
GoWhereTowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 03:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Thanks for the great the drive to Telluride easier on the white knuckle thing?
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:13 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
texas , Texas
Yes. you do have mountains but not as white knuckles.
If you are reading this, it means I have made it another day!!!
GoWhereTowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master
2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
We have towed our 31' classic both directions, no problems, just don't get in a hurry , and don't get your brakes hot....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:20 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Ridgway , Colorado
The drive going through Telluride is longer but easier. There grades are less intense, it isn't as curvy, and there are no steep drop-offs. Heading north over Red Mountain Pass (between Silverton and Ouray) is not that bad because you are on the inside of the road near the cliffs. Driving south from Ouray to Silverton makes a lot of people - in regular cars - nervous because of the steep drop-offs with no guard rails and curves. If you are a nervous driver, the Telluride route might be a better choice (and is just as pretty - the Dallas Divide area near Ridgway is one of the most magnificent mountain views in the US).
Sarah Marino
Part-time full-timer - working from the road and photographing along the way
Our travel blog:
TwoSporks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:34 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Kansas , Topeka
You will always feel cheated if you don't travel this road. The million dollar highway and Switzerland of America scenery. If you are looking for a campground south of Montrose try Ridgway State Park, about 40 miles south of Montrose. One of the best in the west. Book it on
BDowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:37 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member
1969 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Go and enjoy the drive! If the semi's can make the drive, which they do every day, you can make it with your Airstream.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:54 AM   #10
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
Ok, Durango to Montrose.

The scary part is the ride from Silverton on to Ouray. And, lucky for you, you'll be on the inside lane for that stretch if I recall correctly. Not quite as bad for those with fear of heights and cliffs.

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:01 PM   #11
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
The drive is spectacular. We did it just last year towing our 30'er from Ouray - Silverton. Big trucks & Busses do it every day. Take your time, enjoy the ride. Stay off of the jeep trails with your airstream. ( joke). They also are a spectacular ride. Do it with your truck ( 4x4) if you dare. You won't be sorry.
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:03 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member
2016 30' International
Currently Looking...
Quartz Hill , California
Eighteen wheelers use that road but you must be attentive to the road.
My preferred route is in a previous post. Cortez to Dolores then over Lizard Head Pass. Toward Telluride.
We will be back in Co again this year visiting family, trout fishing, hiking, etc.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:23 PM   #13
2007 19' Safari
Grand Junction , Colorado
Not Crazy at All

It's a fantastic drive with about 3 or 4 mountain passes that are not bad as long as the weather is good. If you fear narrow roads with drop-offs the worst part is Red Mountain Pass before Ouray.

If this route doesn't seem like your cup of tea then I would recommend going west to Cortez and up through Telluride. Its scenic as well, less traffic, and there are only 2 mountain passes that are easy to go over.

Hope this helps and be sure to check out Mesa Verde while you are in the area.
radiodude69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:38 PM   #14
Pearland , Texas
I've pulled my 34' Avion with no issues. I always go down hill from the passes in four wheel drive low. It controls my speed better.

Also beware that highway US 550 from Silverton to Ouray is under construction and maintenance and there will be daily closures this summer. It would be best to travel west of Durango and go through Telluride to Ridgeway and Montrose.

Beginning April 15 and ending August 31, anticipated travel impacts are single-lane, alternating traffic 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, controlled by flaggers or portable traffic signals. Delays should be minimal on evenings and weekends when no work is underway; possibly five minutes. During daytime work, with hours varying through the summer, motorists may be delayed up to 20 minutes, depending upon traffic queues. If blasting, delays could be longer.

Going to Telluride there is a 'Pullout" on the right before you get to town. We usually drop our trailer there before visiting town to shop or eat. Try Brown Dog Pizza, you can thank me later.

pmacelad12 is offline   Reply With Quote