Old 08-10-2017, 09:37 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Traveling across the mountains

In a recent tour out to Snowbird, Utah, I discovered a phenomenon that I did not remember from my other ventures into elevations above 11,000 feet.

First, the propane refrigerator did not work when I was parked at 8700 feet for about five days. Then the spray bottles contain various cleaning solutions apparently needed to be loosened, which I failed to do, thus when I was at elevation, the pressure inside was high enough to force the fluids out the nozzle, soaking several items nearby.

So, I will investigate how to get the refrigerator to work at altitude and the next time I am parked (was staying in the hotel) I will make necessary adjustments. And, watch the bottles with fluids, loosening the spray mechanism to allow pressure to be equalized without the stuff going all over.

AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:26 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Even things like cans of soda/beer packaged "in the lowlands" can do odd things above 10,000 feet. Sealed gas cans are another one to watch. Best also to remember that the milk bottle you closed up at altitude will look a bit bizarre once you are down at sea level ...

Pretty much everything that depends on an orifice to regulate fuel mix will have issues going from sea level to two miles high. That includes generators, furnaces, and stoves. Fuel injection is the answer for vehicles, but pricey on a generator. Unless you have a turbocharger, you will loose "power" at altitude, even with adjustments. I tend to forget that applies to the furnace ....

Bob

Old 08-13-2017, 02:11 PM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Yeah, it's only serious when it comes to beer. Just enough of that and other problems fade to insignificance.

Be sure to point out to overweight friends that they all "inflate" at altitude. Depending on your level of what's considered fun, this ones great.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:30 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
The last rally we went to was at 10,300 feet. Our appliances all worked ok (my wife had adjusted the water heater flame at our last camp site at 8500 feet). But some of our neighbors had trouble. The trailer next to us was a 2015 25FB with the same model fridge we have. Theirs had a lot of trouble igniting/running, sometimes taking many minutes of attempts. But it did keep the contents cold enough (the outside temperature was never above 70).

10,300 feet is the highest we've ever camped in our Airstream.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:19 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
The last rally we went to was at 10,300 feet. Our appliances all worked ok (my wife had adjusted the water heater flame at our last camp site at 8500 feet). But some of our neighbors had trouble. The trailer next to us was a 2015 25FB with the same model fridge we have. Theirs had a lot of trouble igniting/running, sometimes taking many minutes of attempts. But it did keep the contents cold enough (the outside temperature was never above 70).

10,300 feet is the highest we've ever camped in our Airstream.
Hi

Did a dealer (or somebody else) put a high altitude kit into your trailer? If I was a smart dealer and saw an address in Colorado, that's what I would do. No big damage if you spend your entire life in the "flat part" of the state. A big help if you head into the mountains.

Bob
Old 08-15-2017, 10:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
At altitude things like potato chip bags blow up like a balloon, while water bottles smash when you return to sea level. I had a case of squished plastic water bottles.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
We have the old style air pressure water tank in our camper. Boy-howdy do we have good water pressure at those altitudes. The first time we open a faucet, the water comes shooting out. I haven't seen it get so high it causes leaks, but I keep an eye on it.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:05 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Did a dealer (or somebody else) put a high altitude kit into your trailer? If I was a smart dealer and saw an address in Colorado, that's what I would do. No big damage if you spend your entire life in the "flat part" of the state. A big help if you head into the mountains.

Bob
No, no high altitude kit. The water heater is easily adjustable, and we have tweaked it a few times to get a good looking flame. We have repaired the fridge (broken electrode) but I don't recall adjusting the flame in any way. And the furnace flame is deep inside the box; I have no idea how to adjust it and have not tried.