Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2019, 10:44 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Greer , South Carolina
Travelers Rest Florida

Looking at Wintering there next year. Any suggestions or insight would be appreciated. Regards
Cispook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Greer , South Carolina
Or any recommendations for FL.
Cispook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Great place. Lots of onsite clubs and activities. Not super close to major tourist traps like Disney or beaches, but not impossible as day trips to some.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cispook View Post
Looking at Wintering there next year. Any suggestions or insight would be appreciated. Regards
If your only requirement is "wintering" over then anywhere will do.

Make reservations early. We are making state park reservations for next year 11 months in advance. Public parks, state parks, fed parks, national forests, etc. usually have a 14 day maximum stay. Private resorts have monthly, season (varies can be 6 months), and annual site rentals. See individual parks. Age of the unit, pets, age of the occupants can be an issue in these parks.

Personally I stay away from the formal resorts these days and stay in parks a little out of the way in the country. I don't Disney or Orlando. South Florida is crowded most all the time. But during the seasonal migration my Ruskin mechanics shuttle driver classified it as "crazy."
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Follow this link to look at the weekly TR Times https://www.travelersrestresort.com/

Over 100 clubs and activities along with free weekly entertainment.

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Make your reservations fairly early. TRR is once again filling up every year in the most popular months. We like it enough to have “wintered” here for about 8 years now. Feel free to post any questions. TRR is out in the sticks and we like that.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Wintering in Florida

Land Yacht Harbor in Melbourne, Florida. Airstream park. No pets, no children, retired, over 50 years old. With your Airstream it is very reasonably priced. Nice clean park with nice people. No amenities but beach is only 15 minutes away. We are enjoying 4 months at LYH this winter. Mike your reservation
now for next winter. 300 spots but only 50 or so available as shareholders stay here every winter.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
We've stayed there a few times, but just short weekend stays. Nice level lots with full hookups, and all are pretty much drive through. Accommodating folks at the office, but be prepared to answer a few questions.

Just one annoyance, that being a siren in the middle of the night... We learned later that it is used to notify their onsite emergency response team of a medical emergency. It is kind of remote so they rely on residents for EMS until the county officials can arrive.

We use it to camp comfortably when attending music events over at the Sertoma Boys Ranch in Brooksville. Several bluegrass festivals there throughout the year. You can camp onsite at Sertoma, but we find the campfires somewhat noxious.

Many year round residents in a variety of abodes ranging from vintage Airstreams (it used to be an Airstream only camp), Many Camp Models, to a variety of permanent RV garage attached homes.

Have never used the facilities like Golf or Clubhouse so can't speak to those.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:12 PM   #9
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Travelers Rest is cute, very clean, layed back if that’s what you want to do or lots of activities if you prefer. Easy to get to off I-75. The closest city is Dave City about 15 miles (not sure about the exact number) east from the park and in a rural setting and usually very quiet. I spent 2 months there in 2017 and enjoyed it very much. Actually I enjoyed it so much I seriously considered buying a lot but found a place over on the Space Coast I liked better. There is a Publix grocery store in Dade City that was pretty decent, there’s a few restaurants but not much more.
I’m assuming you know a little bit about it’s history, being a previous Airstream only park, but you’ll see lots of AS’s, some are brand new, some vintage. Everyone I met while I was there was super nice and very helpful with anything AS related.
If you can get in and are going to be there for more than a couple of days I suggest renting a golf cart from one of the local businesses, they will bring it out to you and pick it up when you’re ready. I was able to score a spot on 10th Street (sites 1-57 are the best IMO) along the dog walk and next door to a farm so it’s very quiet and a bit more private because there’s no one behind you except the goats and. 10th Street also has a lot more trees than some of the other areas. The sites out in the rally area are pretty basic, it’s just an open field with hook ups and that’s it. TR also has a nice little dog park including a dog wash station. I don’t play golf but the 9 hole course looked nice and on Tuesday mornings you’re allowed to go site seeing along the cart path via golf cart, bicycle or just a nice walk. If I were in the area I would book a couple of nights again without any hesitation. I hope this helped.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote