Old 05-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I've had 2 Airstreams, and I can't say in good faith they are 'durable'. The shells are to a certain degree... but everything goes to crap pretty quick when the start leaking... which seems to happen way to soon and way to frequently after being repaired.

Be prepared for a certain amount of maintenance and upkeep whatever you buy...

Old 05-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Rednax, thanks for the Grieving room thread. I lost my Mom about 2 months ago and I will pass this along to my Dad. My Mom died suddenly, healthy at 87. Several weeke ago I stopped in to see him and he started crying and said the lonliness was almost unbearable. She was a tough woman who had to feed us all winter on salmon (99 different ways). I miss her as well but I can see that my grief is not as deep as my fathers. Sorry for this off topic post but I had to do it. I think generational passing is hardest for peer and life partners.
Dan

Old 05-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_lewis77 View Post
Some of the 5'ers have a higher floor height!
The higher the truck and trailer.....the lower the IQ.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:31 PM   #74
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Wow, Rednax, that was some moving piece.

I believe that life sucks and then you die, but sometimes there are moments of such beauty and brilliance that the darkness drains away as if it never existed.

"It was the happiest time of our lives, just living and doing everything together."

That sticks in my mind, something that tells me that we should not wait too long. You're right, RV'ing is what you make of it, and that sentence says it.

I try to plan things out and gain as much knowledge and information as I can before taking action, for both the major and the minor. Once though, decades ago, I did something major and life-changing that was totally spontaneous and not thought-out beforehand. I was staying overseas, and I met a young soldier 10 years my junior who spoke only passable English. The second time we met, about a week and half later, we talked about getting married. The marriage took place 7 1/2 weeks after we first met.

I'll let you guess what the outcome was.

Thanks, Rednax.

Harry

(I'll return to the regularly scheduled program tomorrow to ask some questions about your post. Again, thanks for taking the trouble to answer.)
Old 05-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #75
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1977 23' Safari
1986 34' Limited
Idaho Falls , Idaho
4 Season A/S

Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Interesting idea about 4 season trailer. I guess if you live in Hawaii you could call it a four season But if you live in Alaska It might last 2
Well I've been really enjoying reading the posts here, but now I have to weigh in: our '86 34' Ltd was previously owned by a civil engineer who worked in Alaska for 4.5 years, living in this A/S with his wife all that time. He had the central VAC replaced by a second furnace (in the rear bedroom), but most importantly, he had a set of skirts made with insulation that fitted all the way around the unit and sealed it off underneath so that water lines and tanks were protected and could build up some heat inside the skirts. The skirts fastened on with magnets (to the frame) he told us and while bulky, could be removed, stored, then set up again at a different location.

So some effort is required, and this is not a procedure I would like to do at a different place every night, but as a possibility for a 4-season unit, it's definitely do-able since our PO did it.

Vivian
Too many vintage A/Ss...
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:21 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
So some effort is required, and this is not a procedure I would like to do at a different place every night, but as a possibility for a 4-season unit, it's definitely do-able since our PO did it.
I should throw in that my parents were living in their 1986 34' Airstream over the winter in Dallas and have done the same in other areas. Theirs has a "cold weather package" apparently that involved a second furnace being installed in the bedroom - we didn't even know that was unusual until a dealer told my dad that; until then we just assumed all the 34's had two.

I have no idea how much propane they went through. A lot, I'm sure. I was keeping mine heated - at the lowest thermostat setting - for 3 weeks in December/January this year in the DC area and I think I used two 30 lb tanks of propane to do it. I wasn't staying in it, so I had all the blinds closed, the skylights covered, bedroom door closed (there are no pipes back there), etc. No skirts or anything like that. This was a mild winter, though I think some the coldest nights we had all winter were during that stretch.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1977 23' Safari
1986 34' Limited
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Skater,

Do you know anymore about that "cold weather package"? We've lost touch with our PO and I'm really curious what that involved. He also had the entire undercarriage and hitch tongue sprayed with Rhino-somethingorother, or was that part of the " pkg" too?

Thanks! Vivian
Too many vintage A/Ss...
Old 06-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #78
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1977 23' Safari
1986 34' Limited
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
The higher the truck and trailer.....the lower the IQ.
Is that similar to the IQ being inversely related to the size of the belt buckle?

Vivian
Too many vintage A/Ss...
Old 06-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
That Rhino-somethingorother is, I think, the same stuff sprayed in pickup beds instead of installing a bed liner. I'm not sure what it would accomplish under the trailer except to make it really hard to remove the belly pan if you have to.

Never heard of a cold weather package for Airstream, although decades ago they tried thermopane windows. They caused problems and Airstream gave up and never has tried it again.

Gene
Old 06-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I honestly don't know any more other than the second furnace. It's very possible the second furnace is the only addition. There is no Rhino lining on my parents Airstream, that's for sure. I think the windows are standard vintage 1987 windows too.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #81
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
Red face My Turn

We have been debating and researching the possibility of moving on to a 5ver. We went to Lazy Days to see the Trilogy made by Duramax. It has radial walls and cabinetry on the level of our 31 08 classic limited. it is modern also not ethan allen. It has a cookers kitchen. We saw the redwood and it is on a tier below. The only other model we are to look at is The New Horizons. OK now listen to our debate here. Either of these units would require a 350 dually or larger instead of our 250 GMC Diesel. We would have to find covered storage. Although the Trilogy has a fiberglass roof and fully gelcoated the florida sun will eat them. Our AS has bee outside uncovered since 6/07. We had the roof sealent peeled and resealed last summer. The decal stripping is now getting vertical crazing, but in general being aluminum it is good to go. I believe in the minimalist attitude of the AS culture. I spend more time outside under the canopy than any of my other neighbors. I know its also because of the space but I bought the AS for a different purpose than what we maybe thinking of doing with a "residential" 5ver, thermo pane, insulation, etc. I would not want to drive the Trilogy across country or up and down steep mountains "exploring". We are still exploring. Its a little like a DSLR vs. a point & shoot. You will think of many excuses not to take the DSLR while the point & shoot just fits into your pocket.The 5ver is good for moving up & down the interstate and parking it at a fancy rv resort, doubling as a second or main condo if you are going overseas for awhile. Lots of space, can even bring our Waterford crystal! But I could have never been up to NS , PEI, and NB w/o the extra worry. The AS wants to move all the time, Wally's Ghost is there coming to you in a dream while you sleep. Thats what the Airstream is all about, to get up and go w/o the hassle of shleping half your life with you. It may come a time we will switch but as we dwell on it more and more I think we will stay right where we are. Thinking that next year it will be time for Alaska!
Old 06-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
Skater,

Do you know anymore about that "cold weather package"? We've lost touch with our PO and I'm really curious what that involved. He also had the entire undercarriage and hitch tongue sprayed with Rhino-somethingorother, or was that part of the " pkg" too?

Thanks! Vivian
Rhino, Line-X, or similar are commercial grade protective coverings... common for truck box liners, but lots and lots of other uses. It has no insulating properties, but does dampen sound... and absorb a decent amount of rock damage before degrading...

Cold weather packages generally include heated tanks, insulated underbody, and either the furnace is ducted to heat the plumbing, or the plumbing is heated... Unless you've RV is a mobile-home, I haven't seen a consumer RV package meant for full-time below freezing use...

Those mega-RV's that have 8 inch thick walls are excluded from my estimate as 'consumer'....